You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

wrong colour separation with PDF transfer

GeKoSaa

Hello.

The new function in Affinity Publisher 1.9 for placing PDF data has a bug with color separation. With the "transfer" option, black text is always separated in C / M / Y / K and not just in K. With the "interpret" option, the color is correctly separated. However, you then have problems with the fonts again if they are not available. It's a shame, but this function cannot be used in print production like this. I hope this problem will be fixed because the Affinity programs are really great.

Die neue Funktion, im Affinity Publisher 1.9, für das Platzieren von PDF Daten hat bei der Farbseparation einen Fehler. Ein schwarzer Text wird bei der Option "transfer" immer in C/M/Y/K separiert und nicht nur in K.  Mit der Option "interpretieren" wird die Farbe richtig separiert. Allerdings hat man dann wieder die Probleme mit den Schriften wenn diese nicht vorhanden sind. Es ist schade, aber so ist diese Funktion in der Druckproduktion nicht zu gebrauchen. Ich hoffe dieses Problem wird noch behoben, denn die Affinity Programme sind wirklich super.

14 hours ago, GeKoSaa said:

The new function in Affinity Publisher 1.9 for placing PDF data has a bug with color separation. With the "transfer" option, black text is always separated in C / M / Y / K and not just in K. With the "interpret" option, the color is correctly separated. However, you then have problems with the fonts again if they are not available. It's a shame, but this function cannot be used in print production like this. I hope this problem will be fixed because the Affinity programs are really great.

I've found that this problem surfaces when using aPDF/x variant, X4 being the most recent, it outputs and converts the RGB passthrough preview to CMYK - which seems to be hi-rez but any solid blacks are converted to CMYK - if you export as 'PDF for print' I'm guessing you'll get proper passthrough with all vectors and single colour blacks - I least that's what I found - my problem is my print service provider needs PDF/x4?!?!? 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

In most cases, different icc profiles are to blame for this problem. For example: If a PDF with an embedded Generic CMYK profile is provided by the customer and your print data is made with ISO Coated v2 (ECI), you have the problem. If both have the same profile, then not. Publischer should not convert the colors when importing into the document, that would solve the problem. Ultimately, the only important thing is the output profile that I use to create the print data. In my opinion, this has nothing to do with PDF/x.

Bei diesem Problem sind in den meisten Fällen unterschiedliche icc profile schuld. Zum Beispiel: Wenn ein PDF mit einem eingebetteten Generic CMYK Profil vom Kunden zur Verfügung gestellt wird und deine Druckdaten mit ISO Coated v2 (ECI) gemacht werden, hat man das Problem. Haben beide das selbe Profil, dann nicht. Publischer dürfte die Farben beim importieren in das Dokument nicht umwandeln, damit wäre das Problem behoben. Wichtig ist im Endeffekt nur das Ausgabeprofil, das ich zur Erstellung der Druckdaten verwende. Mit PDF/x hat das meiner Meinung nach nichts zu tun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi both,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Placed PDFs (set to Passthrough) may look converted, but they are not. At the moment we generate RGB previews, so during this conversion (CMYK to RGB) it will look a bit off. However, when you export that file, the colour space/colours will be kept and your placed PDF will keep original values(if using a PDF format that support those features, like X4)

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

Placed PDFs (set to Passthrough) may look converted, but they are not. At the moment we generate RGB previews, so during this conversion (CMYK to RGB) it will look a bit off. However, when you export that file, the colour space/colours will be kept and your placed PDF will keep original values(if using a PDF format that support those features, like X4)

I've tried this multiple times with a variety of downloaded product brochures and passthrough isn't working for the 3 or 4 items Ive tested on, (PDF/X4) I just get all rasterised with single colour black as rasterised rich black - the last test was a Toyota brochure that appears to be a PDF 1.5 (acrobat 6) file - interpret delivers all vectors and single black (but wrong font) passthrough delivers Raster CMYK black, even using PDF for print  - not really a problem for me as I always ask for text to paths for ads - just wondered if there's a trick to making passthrough work a simply as I assumed?  

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

49 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Can you package that project up and attach it here? 

Hi Gabe

I can't post it here as the PDF used it is a Toyota brochure that I've only used for testing purposes but would still potentially be breaking copyright ------- search bots!

I'd be ok with sending the package privately although its on my non-production mac which I can't get to until later

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Hey Gabe - I have a similar test page on my production mac using Pub Beta 1.9.1 967 which has two separate PDFs (Atag Zone control Brochure and Bemodern Fires and fireplaces brochure) and noticed that preflight flags that they're not compatible with the export version (both are PDF 1.4) PDF/x4 sends the rasterised but PDF for print sends as expected, even though preflight still flags as not compatible - I was under the impression that the PDF version needed to be the same or above the output version where PDF/X4 is PDF 1.6 and PDF for print is 1.7 - the Toyota brochure is a 1.5 but doesn't passthrough either X4 or for print - confused?

Also why doesn't preflight, update when you press the check now button (I thing this used to be refresh) when PDF for print prints as expected??? 

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 2 years later...

Hi Gabe,

I have exactly the same problem, I thought with version 2 it will be better, but is the same as in the first version.
The external files (from Affinity Designer or PDFs) are only separated correctly if the color profiles are the same. I.e., the files created and exported (PDF) with the same profile as Publisher files are exported to Print PDF. As long as everything happens in-house, you can live with it. But the problem with the customer PDF remains impassable. Black is separated mercilessly, although in the customer PDF is correctly created, so, K:100.
I've been trying to get away from Adobe for two years, but this single problem prevents me from doing so, although Affinity Suite is really cool, especially in the second version. 
 I have spent hours on it, tried all possible settings - all in vain! Did I miss something after all?