You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Limit scope of Select Same/Select Object

The new 1.9 update added quite a few neat new features, however, I feel like this one could use a few more tweaks to make it even more handy.

It would be amazing if we could have a toggle to limit the scope of these selection functions. As right now they simply select EVERY matching object in your entire document. While this is useful in its own right, its a bit of a nuclear option. I feel like having a toggle to limit the scope of these to say, a layer, would make them amazing for a wider variety of applications.

46 minutes ago, Cyrisus said:

I feel like having a toggle to limit the scope of these to say, a layer, would make them amazing for a wider variety of applications.

I think to limit the scope to a layer is perhaps the wrong wording since 'layers' in AD are basically objects. I assume you are thinking of artboards or group layers?

You might be interested in this discussion started just a couple of days ago with the same thing in mind:

BTW I support this idea. It could improve 'select same' and 'select object' quite a bit.
Nonetheless I am very glad they implemented this at all.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

11 minutes ago, dominik said:

I think to limit the scope to a layer is perhaps the wrong wording since 'layers' in AD are basically objects. I assume you are thinking of artboards or group layers?

The way AD handles its "layer" system makes it really hard to explain doesn't it? Especially when you flip flop between raster and vector apps in your workflow xD. I'm referring to group layers I suppose, not individual objects. The "Layer" that's created when you use the "new vector layer" button at the bottom of the layers palette.

AD already allows you to limit the scope of many tools interactions to group layers via the "Edit all layers" toggle in the layers palette. So I feel like that would be a natural thing to apply to the new select functions as well.

I do agree. The addition of it at all is ultimately a plus. Its just a little disappointing that, as it stands now, its usefulness is frustratingly just out of reach for me.

21 minutes ago, Cyrisus said:

I'm referring to group layers I suppose, not individual objects. The "Layer" that's created when you use the "new vector layer" button at the bottom of the layers palette.

Yes, then we are speaking of the same thing.

21 minutes ago, Cyrisus said:

Its just a little disappointing that, as it stands now, its usefulness is frustratingly just out of reach for me.

Please bear with the developers. The feature just got released recently and I think it is fair to give them some time to see our feedback and come to conclusions on how to make this better. I sincerely hope they take note of the feedback 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/8/2021 at 10:10 AM, Cyrisus said:

The new 1.9 update added quite a few neat new features, however, I feel like this one could use a few more tweaks to make it even more handy.

It would be amazing if we could have a toggle to limit the scope of these selection functions. As right now they simply select EVERY matching object in your entire document. While this is useful in its own right, its a bit of a nuclear option. I feel like having a toggle to limit the scope of these to say, a layer, would make them amazing for a wider variety of applications.

I agree I was really surprised to find that locking a given object didn't prevent it from being accessed by the Select Same function. It would seem a really simple fix to exclude locked items from the selection.

On 2/19/2021 at 6:43 PM, lb Cake said:

I agree I was really surprised to find that locking a given object didn't prevent it from being accessed by the Select Same function. It would seem a really simple fix to exclude locked items from the selection.

Locking a layer in the Affinity products only locks its transform (prevents something from being moved, scaled, rotated or skewed).

While it prevents the layer from being selected directly using the move tool, it does not prevent it from being selected in the layers panel, having its color changed, etc.

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

Locking a layer in the Affinity products only locks its transform (prevents something from being moved, scaled, rotated or skewed).

While it prevents the layer from being selected directly using the move tool, it does not prevent it from being selected in the layers panel, having its color changed, etc.

I appreciate the reply fde101. I am aware that the lock function only prevents selection and transformation. My apologies if I was unclear on my point.

The point I was attempting to make is that I am surprised that the lock function allows anything at all to happen to the locked objects/layers. It could just be my memory playing trick on me, but I am accustomed to the lock function in other programs (Illustrator, CorelDraw, Inkscape, etc.) excluding locked items from any action whatsoever. I'm hopeful that Affinity Draw will incorporate something like this in the future so that the newly implement (and much appreciated) Select All function can be used a little more conveniently and efficiently.

On 2/8/2021 at 1:44 PM, dominik said:

Please bear with the developers. The feature just got released recently and I think it is fair to give them some time to see our feedback and come to conclusions on how to make this better. I sincerely hope they take note of the feedback 🙂

Oh of course! I mean no ill will towards them. Software development is no easy feat. But as its software I use daily to pay my bills, I feel its important to express my feelings on the matter.

On 2/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, lb Cake said:

The point I was attempting to make is that I am surprised that the lock function allows anything at all to happen to the locked objects/layers. It could just be my memory playing trick on me, but I am accustomed to the lock function in other programs (Illustrator, CorelDraw, Inkscape, etc.) excluding locked items from any action whatsoever. I'm hopeful that Affinity Draw will incorporate something like this in the future so that the newly implement (and much appreciated) Select All function can be used a little more conveniently and efficiently.

The lock function in AD is indeed odd when compared to other software. The way it works just doesn't feel as intuitive as it could be I feel. Other programs do indeed prevent ANY action on a locked layer.

+1 I was also surprised by this quirk. 

I did not expect Select Same to select invisible objects, and I also did not expect Select Same to select locked objects. Without some way or option to limit the scope to only visible/unlocked objects, this feature is really hamstrung for my uses.

When the Select Same feature selects locked objects, you can easily end up in a situation that feels like a bug: Given I have 10 green circles that are visible, and 5 other green circles that are invisible and locked. Goal, to move the 10 green circles to a different part of the canvas. When I click one green circle, and Select Same, the 10 visibles + 5 invisible and locked circles are selected. And when I try to move my selection to the different part of the canvas, by dragging with the mouse or arrow keys, I cannot move them, because the locked ones are locked. Personally I would have expected only the visible ones to be selected, and then I could have moved them where I wanted.

2 hours ago, rschenk said:

+1 I was also surprised by this quirk. 

I did not expect Select Same to select invisible objects, and I also did not expect Select Same to select locked objects. Without some way or option to limit the scope to only visible/unlocked objects, this feature is really hamstrung for my uses.

When the Select Same feature selects locked objects, you can easily end up in a situation that feels like a bug: Given I have 10 green circles that are visible, and 5 other green circles that are invisible and locked. Goal, to move the 10 green circles to a different part of the canvas. When I click one green circle, and Select Same, the 10 visibles + 5 invisible and locked circles are selected. And when I try to move my selection to the different part of the canvas, by dragging with the mouse or arrow keys, I cannot move them, because the locked ones are locked. Personally I would have expected only the visible ones to be selected, and then I could have moved them where I wanted.

Honestly, I do think the whole 'lock' function needs to just be brought in line with most common art apps. That would help both in this case, and countless others.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 4:18 PM, Cyrisus said:

Honestly, I do think the whole 'lock' function needs to just be brought in line with most common art apps. That would help both in this case, and countless others.

Absolutely. Its pretty annoying how it works now.

And +1 to limiting Select Same to unlocked layers only. I was excited about this finally being added but the way it works now is severely limiting for my purposes. 

On 3/17/2021 at 7:57 PM, Crispe said:

Absolutely. Its pretty annoying how it works now.

And +1 to limiting Select Same to unlocked layers only. I was excited about this finally being added but the way it works now is severely limiting for my purposes. 

Indeed, just yesterday I reverted to a Adobe state of mind and forgot that locked items are omitted from the Select Same parameters and changed the colors of a couple hundred objects. An hour later I'd moved on to other tasks only to notice my (forced) blunder. All I can say is thank God for incremental saves.

I really hope this gets addressed soon.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

*Bump*. Because having items on locked, hidden layers change when I do a 'select all' for items on ONE LAYER is driving me mad. I'm sorry, I know this software is cheap, relatively speaking. I'd rather pay more and have it do the basics, seriously. Locked layers are untouchable. The ability to set non-printing layers.

• 1 month later...

I'm having a similar problem in trying to change the properties of objects on one of three artboards but having the Select menu > Select Object functions applying to all three Artboards.

My workaround is to select everything on the one Artboard, Ctrl+Copy and then File menu > New From Clipboard and then to make the required changes on the new drawing.

In this case I don't need to copy and paste back to the original drawing but that seems to be an option.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, seabirdr said:

If the development team refuses to develop this feature, please send a clear notice. Because the request keeps coming up. In order to avoid wasting forum resources and users' expectations, please give a clear answer.

Serif generally does not respond to Feature Requests. I doubt they will make an exception in this case. Even if it is something they may do someday, that is probably about all they would say; they would not give a timeframe.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...