You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cookie-Cutting Raster by Shapes

Hi all,

I want to

- place a photo in a Designer doc;

- put a bunch of vector shapes on top;

- and use them to chop up the photo into those shapes.

Is there a tutorial that would show the use of shapes as cookie cutters like that?

Thanks in advance!

- pbass

• Staff

Hi pbass,

You can drag an image layer over a shape layer in the Layers panel to clip it.

If you want to use several shapes with the same photo/image, select all shapes, go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Add to create a single shape from them all, then drag the photo over the resulting shape layer in the Layers panel.

Thanks for the quick response, MEB!

I should have been more specific. It's not clipping I'm after.

I want to _divide_ the photo into multiple shapes, so I can drag the pieces of it around separately. 

The effect I want is a fragmented photo — as if seen thru a shattered mirror, where the shards separated a bit.

Thanks,

- pbass

Hi pbass,

You can drag an image layer over a shape layer in the Layers panel to clip it.

If you want to use several shapes with the same photo/image, select all shapes, go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Add to create a single shape from them all, then drag the photo over the resulting shape layer in the Layers panel.

Bump!

Recap: 

Need a way to split a bitmap photo into pieces that can be moved separately.

Could be in Designer or Photo.

Would like to: 

- define the shapes with vectors, then

- chop up the photo with them, then 

- move the bitmap pieces around.

Thanks,

pbass

• Staff

Hi pbass,

Sorry the delay replying to you.

Here's the steps to achieve it (Affinity Designer/Photo):

• draw the shapes that will chop the photo as you want them (over the image so you can use it as a reference). Make sure they are closed shapes.
  • draw a green (or any other color just for reference) rectangle with the same dimensions as the photo over it and convert it to curves (the green rectangle on my example)
  • hide the image in the layers panel
  • select all shapes, go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Divide

The green rectangle is now composed by several shapes: the choped parts

• delete all shapes around the "green rectangle" (don't touch the ones inside)
  • now select all shapes that compose the green rectangle, go to the Gradient tool, select Bitmap and pick the original image

The image will fill all shapes in the correct position: you can now move/rotate the shapes apart keeping the fill image intact

post-59-0-77329600-1443193166_thumb.png

See attached afdesign file for reference.

chop_photo.afdesign

Hi pbass,

• draw the shapes that will chop the photo as you want them (over the image so you can use it as a reference). Make sure they are closed shapes.
  • draw a green (or any other color just for reference) rectangle with the same dimensions as the photo over it and convert it to curves (the green rectangle on my example)

• now select all shapes that compose the green rectangle, go to the Gradient tool, select Bitmap and pick the original image

The image will fill all shapes in the correct position: you can now move/rotate the shapes apart keeping the fill image intact

attachicon.gifchop_image.png

Awesome great job.

Thanks so much, MEB,

I'll have the time to try your suggestion over the weekend.

Cheers,

- pbass

Hi pbass,

attachicon.gifchop_image.png