You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Duotones, tritones, quadritones in Affinity Photo?

Okay, I'm an early beta user of all the Affinity suite and I'm convinced it's getting better and better after each update.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't find a way to work on photos or bitmap illustrations in Affinity Photo with duotones, tritones and even quadritones with spot colours via the channel like I'm doing it with Photoshop. Is it possible? It would really help me to get rid of Photoshop for good.

To clarify my process, in Photoshop, I'm working in Greyscale mode and then I'm adding spot colours via the Channel panel. Photoshop is then able to simulate in Grey mode the spot colours and simulate the overprint of each colour. While working with spot colours on illustrations, I'm having 1200 dpi A3 files in greyscale mode which gives me quite small files size while working with large high resolution files. This is super handy. Most people working with silkscreen print process know what I'm talking about.

I'd also love to be able to work with bitmap 1 bit image in Affinity Photo as well but I don't think I can do that either.

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @nicolasbulb,

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

On 2/8/2021 at 3:10 PM, nicolasbulb said:

I hope I'm wrong but I can't find a way to work on photos or bitmap illustrations in Affinity Photo with duotones, tritones and even quadritones with spot colours via the channel like I'm doing it with Photoshop. Is it possible? It would really help me to get rid of Photoshop for good.

Unfortunately Affinity doesn't support these features currently, my apologies. There have been many requests for this feature previously and this is something our devs hope to implement in a future version :)

On 2/8/2021 at 3:10 PM, nicolasbulb said:

I'd also love to be able to work with bitmap 1 bit image in Affinity Photo as well but I don't think I can do that either.

Currently this isn't possible in Affinity either, although again it is something we may look at implementing in a future version!

I will move this thread into the feedback section of our forums, for our devs to see and consider - I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...

In InDesign you have the ability to switch off CMY and use say black(K) and any other chosen spot colour to create true duotones/tritones in your designs. Is this likely to be considered seriously for inclusion in version 2? I do hope so because it’s important in creative work and screen printing.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi @Learner-AF,

I can confirm these are unfortunately still unsupported in Affinity at this time, our apologies.

I will be sure to add your 'vote' for these features in our internal development log for you now :)

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

16 hours ago, Learner-AF said:

any news about this?

It's always been possible to emulate duo/tri/quadritone images in a layout, and also manually preview the appearance which then needs to be turned off on export.
I've posted a few examples in the past, although none has been done for actual production:

apu_tritone_exercise.png.1e3b9311876afa0a1a55640a37326a8d.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2