You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Helvetica Neue shows multiple of same font style for different styles

So I just purchased another copy of Designer for a new PC. Running win10 pro 64 bit. Updated to 1.9 and thought I was ready to go. I downloaded a copy of the Helvetica Neue family (11 styles - Helvetica Neue, and 2 of each of the others i.e. Helvetica Neue Light and Helvetica Neue Lt), activated it on my font manager (FontBase) and only 7 styles showed up, 6 were the same and one was different. 

So then I deleted the files from the manager (only ones I've added) and installed them directly. Same issue but different ones showed up. Read every forum on reddit and affinity that I could find about this and am still lost. Downloaded the file from three different places (cofonts, etc) all to the same issue. 

Deleted by hand from windows but only two showed up in the list. As soon as I deleted one, another style would show up. Only five will install at a time as windows says it has already been installed and asks if I want to replace with the other (light vs lt). I am at a loss. 

Checked other programs to see if it's Windows or Affinity and in paint I can see HelveticaNeue and HelveticaNeue BlackCondensed. In Affinity I see HelveticaNeue italic and 6 options for Bold. If I only install 2 to windows those show up in Affinity.

The ones listed in windows are the ones that show in Affinity not the ones that show in Paint.

Don't have access to my other pc to test on it right now. Looking like maybe a windows 10 issue? Anyone else come across this?

IMG_20210208_015957529.jpg

I don’t know how to fix the issue you are having with your fonts but I thought it might be worth mentioning that you can get screen-grabs in Windows 10 by either:

• keeping the Windows Key pressed down while you press the Print Screen Key – images will be saved to your “Pictures/Screenshots” folder;
  • using the Snip & Sketch functionality by keeping the Windows Key and Shift Key pressed down while you press the “S” key – images can be modified/annotated (if necessary) and saved wherever you want.

Just thought it might be easier than taking a photo with a phone/tablet.

Mac OS X comes with 14 Helvetica Neue styles, I wonder what the difference is between your version and the Macs as far as showing Bold goes. Could you upload a font file so I or someone can take a look see, or maybe download something like FontForge, or Birdfont to see if you can see the issue.

Helvetica Neue fonts installed on Mac...

• Helvetica Neue 13.0d2e2
  • Helvetica Neue Bold 13.0d2e2
  • Helvetica Neue Bold Italic 13.0d2e2
  • Helvetica Neue Condensed Black 13.0d2e2
  • Helvetica Neue Condensed Bold 13.0d2e2
  • Helvetica Neue Italic 13.0d2e2
  • Helvetica Neue Light 13.0d2e2
  • Helvetica Neue Light Italic 13.0d2e2
  • Helvetica Neue Medium 13.0d2e2
  • Helvetica Neue Medium Italic 13.0d2e2
  • Helvetica Neue Thin 13.0d2e2
  • Helvetica Neue Thin Italic 13.0d2e2
  • Helvetica Neue UltraLight 13.0d2e2
  • Helvetica Neue UltraLight Italic 13.0d2e2

What was the font extension .TTF, OTF ?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

12 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Mac OS X comes with 14 Helvetica Neue styles, I wonder what the difference is between your version and the Macs as far as showing Bold goes. Could you upload a font file so I or someone can take a look see, or maybe download something like FontForge, or Birdfont to see if you can see the issue.

What was the font extension .TTF, OTF ?

They are true type. I'll upload the font file if that helps.

Just now, LayneIvy said:

They are true type. I'll upload the font file if that helps.

Ok.

I found a post that explains about windows and font families, it's from 2012 so I'm not sure it relates to todays situation but it may shine a light on a potential avenue of investigation.

Font families that you download from major vendors should be configured to "just work" in Windows.

I wrote a reply, but then did some more research and realised I was all wrong.

Inside your font files is a "family name" which is the same for an entire family of fonts. So all four Times New Roman fonts (roman, bold, italic, and bold italic) share the same "family name" of "Times New Roman". Problem is, Windows only traditionally allows four fonts per family, including two weights, and slanted (italic or oblique) versions of these weights.

So font families with more than two weights need to have different values for "family name" for each weight (although the "book" and "bold" weight may still share a family name).

Now, for some reason, some windows applications may be able to cope with more fonts in the same family and it'll work, but many won't. So it's safer to give everything except the "regular" and "bold" weights their own family name, ie "MyFont Extra Bold" as part of the family name.

Came from this post: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/9232/otf-font-family-styles-not-showing-up-in-photoshop

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

9 hours ago, LayneIvy said:

I downloaded a copy of the Helvetica Neue family (11 styles - Helvetica Neue, and 2 of each of the others i.e. Helvetica Neue Light and Helvetica Neue Lt), activated it on my font manager (FontBase) and only 7 styles showed up, 6 were the same and one was different. 

The fonts are most likely broken.
There are a number of Helvetica downloads available out in the ether and all of them are broken.
Either the names are all broken (like your issue), or the names work, glyphs are missing, and all the OpenType features are missing.
Post a link to where you got them and I can tell you for sure.