You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add operation bug

Brian M

I was creating a relatively simple shape where I divided some intersecting lines and circles, divided them, deleted the unwanted segments, and then tried to add them back together.  This sent the memory spiraling upward until the OS had to intervene (I had switched apps while waiting) and tell me to shut something down, and at that point Designer was consuming 50GB. I have already learned that I have to be careful adding together too many objects at once, but this is a pretty unsatisfactory experience.   Both the amount of memory consumed, and the lack of safeguards inside the application to warn when is taking forever or using an unhealthy amount of resources.  I think there must be some room for optimizing the add operation algorithm as well.

image.png.7465a880bba87c2cf7f80a00b4b83b54.pngimage.png.ab1a00fd086290be890123dd3435bba1.png

I want to add one more thing: I think there also needs to be a way to bail in the middle of an operation that's taking way too long. I just started an XOR that I don't think is going to finish before the app crashes, and there's no way out of it.  It would be really nice to be able to reconsider and try again on a smaller subset of curves without having to deal with the crash and recovery process.

• 7 months later...

@Sean P In all fairness boolean operations have never really worked correctly/have been extremely buggy across the Affinity apps and these issues have been raised time and time again and are usually greeted with 'we're aware of the issue, it's with development to be fixed', yet literally several years later we still have exactly the same issues...

I don't think I would be alone in questioning why these particular bugs have still yet to be fixed/are taking so long to be fixed? It would be great to get your perspective on this since the particular issues relating to boolean operations seems to be something that get very little/zero attention yet are raised time and again in the forums.

I love Affinity apps but the lack of any progress on this particular issue seems strange after so long...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

17 hours ago, Hangman said:

@Sean P In all fairness boolean operations have never really worked correctly/have been extremely buggy across the Affinity apps and these issues have been raised time and time again and are usually greeted with 'we're aware of the issue, it's with development to be fixed', yet literally several years later we still have exactly the same issues...

I don't think I would be alone in questioning why these particular bugs have still yet to be fixed/are taking so long to be fixed? It would be great to get your perspective on this since the particular issues relating to boolean operations seems to be something that get very little/zero attention yet are raised time and again in the forums.

I love Affinity apps but the lack of any progress on this particular issue seems strange after so long...

Another aspect to this is that there have been numerous requests for a Shape Builder Tool, but it’s quite clear that the basic Boolean operations need to work reliably before such a tool would be worthwhile.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)