You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] Ɨ

Global colours in Designer - šŸ‘šŸ‘ - Note on their use

Downloaded 1.9.0 Designer iPad.Ā Just opened up an artwork and decided to create a document palette to use for another illustration in the series.

Discovered -> Global colours!! Brilliant. Well done, Serif.

I donā€™t methodically create a palette trying to guess how colours will ā€˜playā€™ together, and then the illustration. I create them once Iā€™ve settled on a colour as I create the artwork.

This means I want to add colours already in my illustration as Global colours. Doesnā€™t look like you can do it - see left of illustration.

I searched through all the options in the add global colour box but couldnā€™t see an eye dropper to use. Iā€™d tried using the eye dropper tool and then ā€˜Add global colour" expecting it to pick up the colour from the sampled dot in the colour panel. Nope.

Is this an oversight? Or have I missed something?

Am currently adding a global colour. Then ChoosingĀ ā€˜editā€™ and voila, the usual colour panel c/w an eye dropper appears (see right of illustration). Iā€™m then using the eyedropper to select the colour and ... I get there. Bit round the houses, but Iā€™m so chuffed to have global colours at all, I canā€™t say I care!

032FD165-B500-4B73-B839-8C64855C1DB1.jpeg

Edit: I have noted it does not say ā€˜Add current colour as global colour" which suggests there is no way to do what I need to, other than my workaround.

if you know better, Iā€™d love to be corrected.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Would really like:

• to be able to export the palette.
  • global colours to copy and paste with the objects from document to document.
  • the colour of the selected object to be highlighted in the swatches panel. If a gradient is involved, then all the colours involved in the gradient. Logically, it should be which ever colour is to the fore - the fill or the stroke. If thereā€™s a different solution to this, thatā€™s cool (or something already stashed somewhere Iā€™ve not seen yet, Iā€™d be glad to have it pointed out).Ā At the moment itā€™s not possible to know if a selected object is assigned a colour defined in the swatches, or itā€™s some randomly similar ā€˜recentā€™ colour.

Adding global coloursĀ is a great move, and Iā€™m far more excited about it than any bells or whistles. I know bells and whistles are more marketable and glam, but Iā€™m really hoping this "so near - so far" feature will make it to being awesome. Itā€™s a professionalā€™s essential.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”-

Edit: am wondering if Iā€™ve not absorbed something about Document v Application palettes - re copying and exporting -.... hum. Will research.

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Apologies for the delayed response here @ProDesigner!

Many thanks for your kind feedback! It's certainly appreciated and I will be sure to pass this along to the developers for you :D

On 2/7/2021 at 10:22 PM, ProDesigner said:

This means I want to add colours already in my illustration as Global colours. Doesnā€™t look like you can do it - see left of illustration.

It does not appear as though there is an option to create Global Colours from your current palette or 'recent colours' list, which I can certainly see how this feature would be helpful - therefore I'll log this as a feature request with them now :)

On 2/7/2021 at 10:22 PM, ProDesigner said:

I searched through all the options in the add global colour box but couldnā€™t see an eye dropper to use. Iā€™d tried using the eye dropper tool and then ā€˜Add global colour" expecting it to pick up the colour from the sampled dot in the colour panel. Nope.

Is this an oversight? Or have I missed something?

Am currently adding a global colour. Then ChoosingĀ ā€˜editā€™ and voila, the usual colour panel c/w an eye dropper appears (see right of illustration). Iā€™m then using the eyedropper to select the colour and ... I get there. Bit round the houses, but Iā€™m so chuffed to have global colours at all, I canā€™t say I care!

I can confirm that thisĀ has been raised on our forums since the release of 1.9 - this was logged as an improvement suggestion with our developers, however I can replicate the behaviour reported, that the 'Edit' dialogĀ doesĀ have a colour picker, so I suspect this was an oversight for the original dialog. I will update this log now with your information and convert it to a bug report - meaning hopefully this will be updated in the future!

On 2/7/2021 at 11:52 PM, ProDesigner said:

Would really like:

• to be able to export the palette.

Importing and exporting palettes is a long requested feature that our devs to hope to add in a later update :)

• global colours to copy and paste with the objects from document to document.

You can create anĀ Application PaletteĀ (as you've mentioned later in your post) to save swatches to be used inĀ other documents on your iPad,Ā however Global Colours aren't supported in Application Palettes - both on the iPad and on the desktop - as if you were to change the global colour in an application palette retroactively, the app would not be able to address all other documents where the global colour was used.

Therefore sharing global colours between documents will require the import/export feature, as above.

• the colour of the selected object to be highlighted in the swatches panel. If a gradient is involved, then all the colours involved in the gradient. Logically, it should be which ever colour is to the fore - the fill or the stroke. If thereā€™s a different solution to this, thatā€™s cool (or something already stashed somewhere Iā€™ve not seen yet, Iā€™d be glad to have it pointed out).Ā At the moment itā€™s not possible to know if a selected object is assigned a colour defined in the swatches, or itā€™s some randomly similar ā€˜recentā€™ colour.

Thanks for your feedback, I will make sure this is logged with our developers as an Improvement Request!

Please Note:Ā I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

No apology needed @Dan C. Glad to know you're looking at these things, and picking them up as you're able. Speaks a lot for you. If these things are added, it'll be fantastically useful.