You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blocks in documents in 1.9

Lubiloo

Hello, Everyone,

I don't know the first things about benchmarking but have found Affinity Photo 1.9.0.932 to be extremely unstable.  Shutting down in the middle of an uncomplicated document, particularly when resuming from having applied a NIK adjustment as a new layer.  Also, on carrying out a focus stack image, the UI goes haywire.  The Source window shows some images and thumbnails of digital noise, before the contents disappear.  I've attached a screen shot and an image of exactly the same screen taken on my phone.  I have done this because the screen shot - bizarrely - doesn't show the haywire UI, whereas the phone shot of the same screen does show the weird stuff going on.  

I'm going to uninstall and re-install the old version.  Thanks for your time.  

Affinity_Photo_Focus_Stack_Image_of_screen.jpg

Affinity Photo Focus Stack screen shot.jpg

13 minutes ago, Venyer said:

Yes, at least in my case too the 1.9 'stable' is completely useless. I am using the RC6 beta that seems to work fine. I recommend you to try it and see if things get better.

Hello, Venyer.  I've uninstalled, run System Restore (Windows 10), Then uninstalled the stable earlier version 1.8.5.703 and then reinstalled that into a new folder so that it won't be overwritten when they fix 1.9.0.932.  Having tried the focus stacking in the 1.8.5.703, it worked perfectly with no weird aberrations in the UI.  I hope that they can sort it soon.  

16 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi @Lubiloo, I've split your question off from the original thread, as they were unrelated. 

Looking at your screenshots, I would imagine your graphics drivers need to be uninstalled and reinstalled. Could you tell me what GPU you are using? If this doesn't work, you can try disabling hardware acceleration in Preferences.

Hello, Mark, 

Firstly, my apologies for posting in the wrong thread.  I was attracted by 'unstable' and dived in.  I have uninstalled 1.9..... and reinstalled 1.8, which is working perfectly; developing neither aberrations nor random closing down of the programme.  

In answer to your question: 

GPU = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti updated 30/09/2020 but I can't find hardware acceleration, which I thought would be under Performance in preferences.  I've copied this from the 'Events' tab on the GPU Properties: Device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C82&SUBSYS_86131043&REV_A1\4&25438c51&0&0008 requires further installation.  I've no idea what it means, but it might be significant.  

I will uninstall and reinstall the NVIDIA, and try to reinstall Affinity Photo 1.9....   I'll update via this post.  

Thanks, 

1 minute ago, Lubiloo said:

Hello, Mark, 

Firstly, my apologies for posting in the wrong thread.  I was attracted by 'unstable' and dived in.  I have uninstalled 1.9..... and reinstalled 1.8, which is working perfectly; developing neither aberrations nor random closing down of the programme.  

In answer to your question: 

GPU = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti updated 30/09/2020 but I can't find hardware acceleration, which I thought would be under Performance in preferences.  I've copied this from the 'Events' tab on the GPU Properties: Device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C82&SUBSYS_86131043&REV_A1\4&25438c51&0&0008 requires further installation.  I've no idea what it means, but it might be significant.  

I will uninstall and reinstall the NVIDIA, and try to reinstall Affinity Photo 1.9....   I'll update via this post.  

Thanks, 

Thanks, we have several people on the same GPU as that, so I think a simple uninstall and reinstall of the latest drivers may well fix your problems with 1.9. Please let me know if that's not the case.

Failing that, you can disable hardware acceleration in the Preferences in 1.9.

Hello again, Mark, 

GPU re-installed although no updates since last September.  Installed Affinity 1.9... and the same aberrations occurred (as I said, they did not appear in 1.8...), so I unchecked Hardware Acceleration as you suggested.  Perversely, the operation of focus stacking seemed to be quicker and worked perfectly with the source window remaining visible and populated throughout the process.  I am yet to try other functions, but the crazy weird stuff seems to have gone.  

You might be able to explain to me why 1.9 isn't as tolerant as 1.8 and what, even, hardware acceleration is and why it makes what sort of difference... But I'd probably turn to drink and not understand a word! 

Many thanks, 

Lubiloo