You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help for old eyes

I'm here on behalf of my 70-something sister, who I'm trying to wean away from Adobe Creative Suite because she's on low fixed income and cannot afford Adobe's highway robbery. She bought Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo, but she is having trouble with her visual acuity diminishing and cannot see the tools. The grey-on-grey scheme may be pretty, but it's not terribly functional for those of us who are getting older. She is very depressed because she depends on her graphic design work to help keep her focus off her painful fibromyalgia, and it's her one great joy in life to be able to do design. She already has a big honking monitor, but the Affinity tools stay too small even when she's at full screen for her to be able to see well enough to work.

Is it possible you could add a hover-over-tools feature that folks can enable to be able to see the tools better? I know you've got the tool tips, but they are really too small for people with older eyes (and I am one of them) to be able to read without straining. Or maybe a skin that people can apply who need help in this department?

I've seen this request from several people, your not the only one.

I have no idea if this will appear in the future.. 

However, I found a Loupe in the Mac App store. I don't know how to make a link, but if you put "Loupe" in the search bar you can check it out for yourself.

(I haven't tried it myself.)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• Staff

Hi dkistner1111,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

As Madame said this was already requested by other users and we do intend to look at it, but it's not something we can solve that quickly.

Manwhile there's some settings that may help alleviate the problem:

- check Affinity Designer/Photo Preferences, User Interface tab. You can set the Font UI Size to Large. You can also try to change the Gamma UI slider to increase the contrast a little.

- still in the Preferences but on the Tools tab you can set the bounding box control handles, nodes, and other on-canvas UI controls to Largest in the Tool UI Size section on top.

- finally it may be worth trying to lower the resolution of your screen in the OS X settings. Launch OS X System Preferences, go to the Displays section, change the Resolution to Scaled and select the value below your current selection (which is the one on the top if you haven't changed it before). This will make the screen a little less defined but everything will be bigger (buttons, interface elements) etc.