You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

bad download from apple App Store

i got a bad download via the apple app store where I originally bought Affinity photo years ago.  Masking does not work at all . I noticed this when I tried to run several of the macros I created and when i applied an adjustment to a pixel layer and tried to mask it then paint in or out the adjustment with a paint brush. I don't know if there are other issues.  I know of others who had the same masking problem after download.  Is this confined to the apple store versions? I downloaded a trial version from the affinity site and it worked fine no issues with masking.

How do I recover without losing my  macros, assets brushes styles etc etc? The apple app store won't let me re download the application, just open it.   When I go to manage my account I cannot recover my product key since I bought on the apple app store. This is very unfortunate.

Um, interesting.  I downloaded from the App Store too but don't have any issues with masking, so far  (fingers crossed).

I'm guessing you can remove the App, and reload your macros, assets, brushers, styles, etc. which I assume you have saved and kept in your hard drive.  But yes, that's a real pain.   

I would also want to get a product key and be able to install the Serif store version, but for other reasons, not being able to use Topaz plug-ins with the sandboxed version we get in the App Store.

@hanshab do you have Time Machine?  If so, can you go back to a previous version of Photo?  If so, your macros, assets, etc. should all be there.   Just a thought,  but Affinity has a 50% off offer for several more weeks for all three apps.  Two years ago I deleted my Mac app store version of Photo and repurchased it directly from Serif, to fit nicely with Designer and Publisher which I bought directly from Serif.  It was a good move on my part.  The new v. 1.9 update from v. 1.8.6 to Photo on my Macbook Pro has worked beautifully, and so far has nary a glitch.  Haven’t updated the other two apps but will in a day or two.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• 2 weeks later...

I solved the problem by h]just buying the version from serif directly.  After installing all my macros, assets, swatches, etc it works fine...One other benefit is that I can now get my product key which I could not from the apple store version..