You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.9 Update - Win 10 - Not running

After updating my copies of Photo, Designer and Publisher to 1.9 I can no longer run them; They open, show the splash screen then nothing. I have tried a few clean installs but nothing seems to work.

I have been able to revert back on Publisher and Designer, but unfortunately photo was bought thru the windows store and they don't support the download/install of older versions. Any ideas how I can get the suite working on v1.9 or get Photo running again?

Did you saw or get any Win system crash report (some backtrace logs) which probably indicates the cause of that behavior?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, oderuyter said:

After updating my copies of Photo, Designer and Publisher to 1.9 I can no longer run them; They open, show the splash screen then nothing. I have tried a few clean installs but nothing seems to work.

I have been able to revert back on Publisher and Designer, but unfortunately photo was bought thru the windows store and they don't support the download/install of older versions. Any ideas how I can get the suite working on v1.9 or get Photo running again?

I am having the same issue... and many of us. Try updating all your drivers. You can also do to appdata find the app and add a line at the end of the "PerformancePreferences.xml" file (the line is the following : <UseHardwareAcceleration>False</UseHardwareAcceleration>  and you should add it right before the last setting line. If its already there change True to False). You can try opening it while holding control and if a screen pop up click clear. But if you crash from splash screen it might not work. 
If none of that work you can join me and wait till they fix it 😕

Windows 10, Affinity Designer + Photo (Graphic Design, photo-editing).

I have the latest nVidia Studio driver installed.

To test, I switched the renderer from GeForce 2060 to WARP, and now I'm able to open both of the images that crashed it with GPU acceleration enabled. Affinity Photo didn't create a dump file though. 😕

• Staff

Hi @oderuyter and Welcome to the Forums,

Could you try the steps on this link: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/133116-faq-how-can-i-disable-opencl-compute-acceleration-on-windows/&tab=comments#comment-733437

and see if the apps then starts.

@MikeDuf You've just had a reply to your thread here.

@Tamerlin Instead of changing to WARP had you tried just disabling OpenGL in Preferences for Affinity?

4 hours ago, stokerg said:

Could you try the steps on this link: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/133116-faq-how-can-i-disable-opencl-compute-acceleration-on-windows/&tab=comments#comment-733437

@MikeDuf You've just had a reply to your thread here.

@Tamerlin Instead of changing to WARP had you tried just disabling OpenGL in Preferences for Affinity?

thank you :)

Windows 10, Affinity Designer + Photo (Graphic Design, photo-editing).

6 hours ago, stokerg said:

Afraid still the same - just tanks after the initial splash screen

I found the option to disable OpenCL, but not OpelGL. Turning off OpenCL but setting the display renderer to be my nVidia 2060 6GB resulted in a crash when opening an image. With OpenCL enabled when I set the display rendering to use the integrated Intel Iris GPU, it loads the image.