You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This made me dump Adobe Photoshop and Corel PhotoPain(t)

VectorWhiz

After continuously crashing in Corel PhotoPain(t) when attempting to export to png, I got fed up and by accident ran into Affinity Photo after searching the web for alternative pixel-editors out of frustration. Soon after I bought Designer and later Publisher and never looked back. Designer got me hooked on drawing in vectors, with which technique I believe almost anything can be done that is commonly done in pixel-editors, plus it allows almost infinite rescaling of images without loss of quality. Apart from not imposing rip off subscription fees like Adobe does. This is my first pixel portrait (made from scratch) of a remarkable bloke that graduated to a high level black belt in some Korean martial art at the age of 81, besides making music and smoking pot of course. Progress sequence and additional info in my portfolio blog as always: 

https://communicats.blogspot.com/2017/07/willie-nelson-digital-portrait.html

What struck me pleasently is the abundant possibility to adjust Photo's brushes; they are in a class of their own. I sometimes wish Serif would copy those functions to Designer (and the warp tool as well, nudge nudge, wink wink).

527851216_WillieNelson15colored.png.1de18dd6ac0da233a43b741881aa3ab2.png

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

Looks good. The raster brushes are in a different league to vector ones. I did try shading with them once but soon gave up. I'm sure they are good for something though! You can use raster brushes in Designer when in the pixel persona of course but I'm not sure if there are any differences or benefits to doing it in AP as I don't use it or raster come to that. Perhaps one day. 

Whilst you can do nearly anything (probably everything) in vector that you can do in raster some things take far more effort and some things so much more that it's probably not worth it. If you take this it would have taken multiple times longer in vector.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me