You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues WIth new update 1.9.0.932

Dutchy

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Your system should be faster with hardware acceleration, have you tried uninstalling your graphics drivers and installing the latest versions?

I have the latest Studio Drivers from NVIDIA.
But enabling the hardware acceleration in Photo leads to massive performance drops. Raw development is almost impossible with that latencies between me, the GUI and the redrawn canvas.

Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher V2
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

Hi Paul

ASUS390F

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz

RAM 16GB

GPU ASUS GTX 1060 3GB

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎8/‎16/‎2020
OS build    19042.746
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

after the last update 1.9.0.932 it's hard to work.
Develop Persona puts gray squares in the picture.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM2AwfYbRU7kUCWdkG9h0YD4kwQYhYjVZUT_6vf

Photo Persona - artifacts in the Adjustment Layer pane ...

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPOxMgI78O9JLvMCQw2cpHmywPQIWIoBHpL73qz

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    20H2
OS build    19042.746
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

panhors1999

9 minutes ago, FintanMcTiernan said:

This is a strange one, I have been trying to understand why this is happening? With me it is very random and when the picture is reloaded the problem goes away, are you also finding this? I also have a feeling it has to do with the amount of time the application is open along with multiple files open, so I wonder if it is some kind of memory leak.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

On 2/9/2021 at 11:20 AM, Llyud said:

It also happens with Publisher? I was planning to reinstall 1.8.5 due to the RAM issue, but I already saved previous files created with 1.8.5 with 1.9 and I had the same problem with Photo.

I'm not sure ,but it might happen as by using new features from Publisher 1.9 and which are not found in Publisher 1.8.5.

I am having constant crashes as well and dramatic performance decrease after the update.. all is updated .. drivers.. windows.. etc...

Also.. some live filters such as perspective will render a white  surface mesh and some other times produce some blashish triangles on output.. as it is was some mesh render error of some sort.

I am re-installing everything just to make sure it isn't some older DLL that remained on upgrades and will report after it is done..

31 minutes ago, Joao Silva said:

... and will report after it is done...

Well... you know what?!.. It actually improved the performance and those live filter bugs vanished!

I did uninstalled everything and executed "Advanced Uninstaller Pro 13" to remove all traces of the old DLLs and registry signs (the free version works fine for this). After the re-install and after downloading everything again.. well.. the old afphoto files that were "spitting in the soup" (old saying here) ... no longer "spit on the soup" .. and to be quite honest.. they seem to "like the soup" very much now!!! :)

The Affinity photo was even sluggish on a 200 MB file (and that never happened before).. and now it seems fine again!

For now.. it seems to be working much better! I would advise you guys to try it.. it takes just a few minutes to do it.. so.. why not?

On 2/12/2021 at 10:54 AM, Joao Silva said:

For now.. it seems to be working much better! I would advise you guys to try it.. it takes just a few minutes to do it.. so.. why not?

.. lasted for so little! It works better.. but.. still crashes on live filters mostly... (perspective, blur, etc). Also the artifacts (missing parts of the image in geometrical mesh alike forms) still occur ...

1 hour ago, Joao Silva said:

still crashes on live filters mostly... (perspective, blur, etc). Also the artifacts (missing parts of the image in geometrical mesh alike forms) still occur ...

Is this with hardware acceleration on or off? If on, have you tried it with hardware acceleration turned off? (Preferences, Performance)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 hours ago, Geezer175 said:

For me, disable hardware accelleration did solve the crashing problem.

Disabling hardware acceleration worked for me also, on a Dell 5593 with 16gigs, Win Pro 10x64.

I was working on a print book cover. With the recent update, the file was crashing almost from the beginning, every time I attempted an adjustment. I disabled h/w acceleration, and all is now well, with no editing problems whatsoever.

I can certainly live without h/w acceleration.

On 2/9/2021 at 4:29 PM, JeffreyWalther said:

I have the latest Studio Drivers from NVIDIA.
But enabling the hardware acceleration in Photo leads to massive performance drops. Raw development is almost impossible with that latencies between me, the GUI and the redrawn canvas.

I can reproduce this exactly: lag in the GUI while developing RAW makes the the software unusable. However disabling hardware acceleration while retaining the more powerful Nvidia GPU as renderer solved the issue.

Windows Home, 10.0.19042
i7-7700H
32GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 630
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Since posting my previous comment, I checked to ensure all Nvidia drivers on my system were up to date, and whether the Studio version was compatible. They were, and it wasn't.

Then I launched the Nvidia Control Panel, and spotted something I hadn't noticed before: according to Nvidia, GPU selection is now managed by the Windows OS. I followed their instructions and used the Windows Graphics Settings panel to set Affinity apps to hardware acceleration (see attachment).

I tested the new setting by attempting to develop a disastrously failed exposure. The idea was to stress test. 

And everything worked fine -- no lag, freeze or latency. Also, in Affinity Photo's preferences, OpenCL which had been switched off was now re-enabled. Automatically as far as I can figure out. 

Anyway, the issue was resolved.                         

export.png

Hi,

After update to 1.9 I have issues too. App run significantly slower.
Hardware: Thinkpad P50, 32GB RAM, i7-6820HQ, 4k screen + second display, also 4K. SSD 2TB PNY NVME XLR8 CS3030 + 2TB SSD 2,5 SATA Adata SU800.
Why Afinnity Photo use intel HD Graphics only and doesn't use Nvidia Quadro M2000M for hardware acceleration?

pref-affinity-1-9.jpg

6 hours ago, Greg Wo said:

Hi,

After update to 1.9 I have issues too. App run significantly slower.
Hardware: Thinkpad P50, 32GB RAM, i7-6820HQ, 4k screen + second display, also 4K. SSD 2TB PNY NVME XLR8 CS3030 + 2TB SSD 2,5 SATA Adata SU800.
Why Afinnity Photo use intel HD Graphics only and doesn't use Nvidia Quadro M2000M for hardware acceleration?

pref-affinity-1-9.jpg

Hi @Greg Wo, does the app run all of the time, or only on the first operation (e.g. first image load, first brush stroke)?

The NVIDIA Quadro M2000M doesn't meet the minimum requirements of hardware acceleration. 

On 2/10/2021 at 7:25 AM, FintanMcTiernan said:

The random squares showing up after the Develop persona is definitely tied to the hardware acceleration, If I turn off OpenCL the issue goes away. I will turn it off for now until it's a little more mature.

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

9 hours ago, Gregory St. Laurent said:

The random squares showing up after the Develop persona is definitely tied to the hardware acceleration, If I turn off OpenCL the issue goes away. I will turn it off for now until it's a little more mature.

One would thought so.. but.. on live filters the artifacts (and i mean the squares, triangles and rectangles as a 3D mesh type alike) also show up randomly regardless if the OpenCL is activated or not. This happens a lot more frequently with hardware acceleration activated.. but it also happens without it. This happens on the latest Release Candidate and also on the latest beta.. so.. i am not really sure what is going on there.. so.. at this moment, the live filters are (for me) unreliable and can not be used at all..

When i say live filters i mean mostly blur and distortion  as these are the ones i use more.. but i think this maybe happening with a few more others as well..

2 hours ago, Joao Silva said:

One would thought so.. but.. on live filters the artifacts (and i mean the squares, triangles and rectangles as a 3D mesh type alike) also show up randomly regardless if the OpenCL is activated or not. This happens a lot more frequently with hardware acceleration activated.. but it also happens without it. This happens on the latest Release Candidate and also on the latest beta.. so.. i am not really sure what is going on there.. so.. at this moment, the live filters are (for me) unreliable and can not be used at all..

When i say live filters i mean mostly blur and distortion  as these are the ones i use more.. but i think this maybe happening with a few more others as well..

I have no other issues other than the square artifacts showing up after I develop a RAW file. I have used many live filters on the new version and have not had any issues with them, I'm not sure what is happening with your setup but it may be entirely different than what is happening with me. I have processed over 30+ raw files last night with OpenCL turned off and I didn't have a single issue. Before that with hardware acceleration turned on I would have the square artifacts on maybe 3-4 files out of every 10. I had first thought it was because I had multiple files open or the amount of time I had the application open but I have determined that it seem to be totally random.

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

9 hours ago, Gregory St. Laurent said:

I have no other issues other than the square artifacts showing up after I develop a RAW file. I have used many live filters on the new version and have not had any issues with them, I'm not sure what is happening with your setup but it may be entirely different than what is happening with me. I have processed over 30+ raw files last night with OpenCL turned off and I didn't have a single issue. Before that with hardware acceleration turned on I would have the square artifacts on maybe 3-4 files out of every 10. I had first thought it was because I had multiple files open or the amount of time I had the application open but I have determined that it seem to be totally random.

Here.. take a look at this.. just happened now as i was doing a abstract B&W modeling .. (it was the first time i was using this specific live filter)

artifact_bug.jpg

Another bug ridden installation checking in.

1.85 was perfect, but 1.9 ist total hot trash can full of garbage. I must save - literaly - after every cursor move because crashes are random and frequent. Performance is abysmall - even switching between tools can cause few seconds of hang (or crash).

Was very excited for 1.9 - recommended it left and right, then update drops and... it's total disaster. Probabbly all people I talked into trying Photo are now installing Photoshop.

Maybe I sound harsh, but my whole proffesional environment is based on Affinity, and now I'm left with nothing - in current state I can work more efficiently in Paint.

4 hours ago, gabriel_komorov said:

Another bug ridden installation checking in.

1.85 was perfect, but 1.9 ist total hot trash can full of garbage. I must save - literaly - after every cursor move because crashes are random and frequent. Performance is abysmall - even switching between tools can cause few seconds of hang (or crash).

Was very excited for 1.9 - recommended it left and right, then update drops and... it's total disaster. Probabbly all people I talked into trying Photo are now installing Photoshop.

Maybe I sound harsh, but my whole proffesional environment is based on Affinity, and now I'm left with nothing - in current state I can work more efficiently in Paint.

It would probably been more helpful if you started a new thread and just told us what issues you are having.

But for now,...

1. Switch off Hardware Acceleration (if currently on)

2. Install the beta which has many crash fixes and improvements

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.