You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues WIth new update 1.9.0.932

Dutchy

12 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Has anyone found a resolution to all the bugs since the recent update? Struggling here. Everything too slow and keeps crashing. 

😥

Check to make sure you have the latest Windows 10 updates. I was having the same issues with Affinity Photo 1.9 freezing up.  Updated Windows today and it resolved the  issue.  

I am having all sorts of issues with 1.9 too. Previously, Affinity Photo was flawless. Literally NEVER crashed. Now, it crashes almost every time I try to edit one image. It crashes during these operations:

• adjusting transparency of a layer, the application just vanishes and has to be started again.
  • when applying a Gaussian blur to a layer mask- if I move the slider more than about 3 times to fine tune the amount of blur, poof! The application vanishes.
  • I was just using the Inpainting Brush to remove some blemishes from a model's face and the application just vanished. I did not get a recovery image either, which I do with the other crashes.
  • on one laptop the application will not open at all. I get the splash screen for about 2 seconds and then it vanishes. The program has not opened and is not shown in Task Manager. This happens with Affinity Publisher and Designer too, both of which I just recently purchased.
  • I have been using the Google Nik Collection (previous Nik filters when it was free) and it has always worked flawlessly until Affinity Photo 1.9. Now it locks up Affinity upon launching (launching Silver Effex Pro 2 ) and I have to force-close everything.

Affinity Photo was the most reliable photo editor I have ever used at 1.7 and 1.8. It literally NEVER crashed. It is now the least reliable photo editor I have used. It is literally unusable. I have been retouching a series of images for a model, giving her a colour and greyscale version of each selected image. I cannot produce the greyscale images anymore, now that Affinity Photo 1.9 has decided it won't let Silver Effex Pro 2 work anymore. I had a specific greyscale 'custom' preset which cannot easily be reproduced in any other software. This has totally stuffed me up and I cannot deliver what I promised. It looks like the subscription I used to have for Photoshop was probably worth it after all. At least it was reliable and did not cause major issues like I am experiencing now.

I just uninstalled Affinity Photo 1.9 with the intention of installing 1.8.5 again, which worked flawlessly. Instead, I decided to reinstall 1.9 as a clean install (previously it was installed as an upgrade to 1.8.5). Well, I have tried most of the things that were causing issues in my previous post and they all seemed to be resolved. Silver Effex Pro 2 is now working flawlessly again and I can complete the job I am working on. I am really happy now and hope this works for others.

Later I need to check why none of the Affinity suite will open at all on another laptop. If I get it figured out I will let you know. Have a great day everyone. :--)

10 hours ago, Chan2021 said:

Has anyone has problem with the picture shown block likes a rectangles marked after RAW developed.

See my attached photo, what I meant.

Windows 10 Pro version 20H2 

Affinity Photo Version 1.9.0.932 

Affinity Photo problem.jpg

I am also having this happen after exiting the Develop Persona. For me it is happening intermittently, I think it happens when multiple files are open. When I close all files and reopen the problem file the problem seems to go away, but I can't be 100% sure.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

9 hours ago, Gregory St. Laurent said:

I am also having this happen after exiting the Develop Persona. For me it is happening intermittently, I think it happens when multiple files are open. When I close all files and reopen the problem file the problem seems to go away, but I can't be 100% sure.

I'd be interested if you could try this some more, as I think it should be reasonable "random" (even on a single file) but would like to know if it is related to multiple files.

11 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

I'd be interested if you could try this some more, as I think it should be reasonable "random" (even on a single file) but would like to know if it is related to multiple files.

Ok, I will get back to you I'm working on a photo shoot this evening and will try with multiple files open. I have experimented a little and the multiple file hypothesis seems likely, at least with my computer configuration (Laptop). I also want to experiment on my desktop computer that has a little more graphical horse power but with only 16Gb ram.

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

I don't think multiple files opened. What I think is to do with the graphic card issues.  It was also have an issue with Developing Persona, using multiple layers involved with filters such as blur filters.  Noticed blockage marks and color variations issued when push the setting to the limited and back to personal requires.  This is only random and if you restart the Affinity Photo seem to work normal again.

Affinity Photo problem2.jpg

Edited by Chan2021
Add attachment photo

1 hour ago, Chan2021 said:

I don't think multiple files opened. What I think is to do with the graphic card issues.  It was also have an issue with Developing Persona, using multiple layers involved with filters such as blur filters.  Noticed blockage marks and color variations issued when push the setting to the limited and back to personal requires.  This is only random and if you restart the Affinity Photo seem to work normal again.

Affinity Photo problem2.jpg

My issue is happening well before any layer work is done. It is happening when I've finished any changes to my RAW files and am developing the image and exiting the Develop persona. I have done multiple test when it happens by closing all files I have open and re-developing the image, after this is done the problem does not reappear this is done without restarting Photo. This still has me believing that the Multiple file scenario is still valid, but I'm going to do more testing.

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

50 minutes ago, Pauls said:

Could you please provide your system specifications please especialy CPU and GPU models

Hi Paul. 

I'm running AP with Windows 10 version 20H2, Intel core i7-7500U CPU @2.70GHz 2.90GHz.

In my Task manager the GPU shows;

Intel (R) HD Graphics 620

And

NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

( I wouldn't know how to switch between the two or does it do this automatically 🤷‍♂️)

RAM 12GB

I'm running 2 machines:

Laptop i7 7700HQ w/Intel HD Graphics 630 & nVidia GTX1060 w/6Gb vram (running 4K res) w/32 Gb ram Window 10 20H2

Desktop i7 3770 w/nVidia GTX1070 w/8Gb vram (running 4K res) w/16 Gb ram Windows 10 20H2

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

It seems completely random re a fix - I upgraded every conceivable driver and the desktop appears fine but laptop clone stamp would not work as it should. I bypassed the laptop 's track pad with a blue tooth mouse and hey, it worked and thereafter the track pad worked on its own so problem solved But this is a badly thought out "upgrade" . My DxO Photolab 4 upgrade a week ago had no issues and Serif have not covered themselves in glory with this one.

I installed Affinity Photo 1.9 and checked on Task Manager to see how much RAM is using while opened.

Not wondering why it worked so slow, in my case: it is eating 400-500 MB with the program being opened and almost 1gb of RAM with one Affinity Photo file opened and nothing else (the file has one a4, 300dpi canvas, with a few drawing layers). Also, when I'm trying to draw, the brush has a delay sometimes, and small brush lines can't even be done properly

Until there will be a better solution, I will reinstall the 1.8.5 version, as it was working better (and consumed less RAM - the highest this older version has got was around 700-800MB while working with big files). I enjoy the Affinity package and it helps me a lot with my workflow, only that Affinity Photo 1.9 is creating too many problems for me to use it in its current state.

2 minutes ago, ellycolor said:

I installed Affinity Photo 1.9 and checked on Task Manager to see how much RAM is using while opened.

Not wondering why it worked so slow, in my case: it is eating 400-500 MB with the program being opened and almost 1gb of RAM with one Affinity Photo file opened and nothing else (the file has one a4, 300dpi canvas, with a few drawing layers). Also, when I'm trying to draw, the brush has a delay sometimes, and small brush lines can't even be done properly

Until there will be a better solution, I will reinstall the 1.8.5 version, as it was working better (and consumed less RAM - the highest this older version has got was around 700-800MB while working with big files). I enjoy the Affinity package and it helps me a lot with my workflow, only that Affinity Photo 1.9 is creating too many problems for me to use it in its current state.

If I uninstall ver 1.9 i take it my previous work won't be lost as its saved in a seperate folder. 

And a screenshot about the RAM thing:

The programs that are shows in Task Manager are, in the following order:

- Affinity Designer 1.9

- Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (I already uninstalled Affinity Photo 1.9)

-Affinity Publisher 1.9

affinity_ram_usage.thumb.PNG.31b70cc6c4d7f6d00981f3c2939876cc.PNG

The RAM usage of Affinity Designer 1.9 and Affinity Publisher 1.9 is almost double compared to Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (both Designer 1.8.5 and Publisher 1.8.5 were using about 200-300 MB of RAM when they were only opened).

And as you can see in this screenshot, all these programs were opened with no respective file.

So that might be the reason Affinity Photo 1.9 is running so slow - it consumes double the RAM than it's previous, 1.8.5 version.

13 hours ago, ellycolor said:

If you use new features of Affinity Photo 1.9 in a newly created file (or save an older file with the new version of the software), you might not be able to open it in older versions.

It also happens with Publisher? I was planning to reinstall 1.8.5 due to the RAM issue, but I already saved previous files created with 1.8.5 with 1.9 and I had the same problem with Photo.

I'm also having an issue of block appearing while rasterising and exporting pixel and curve layers together to make PNGs. In the shadows you can see this square, it's happening to all my exports since the update! Windows 10 version, Affinity Photo Version 1.9.0.

Kensington Grey WB NB.png

On 2/8/2021 at 6:02 AM, Mark Ingram said:

I did some more experimenting and couldn't find anything conclusive, but out of approx 30 files I edited last night about 9 pictures gave me problems. I would close all files then reopen and  then the files would develop correctly, I did notice that it would happen more often if multiple files were open and it seemed to happen after the application was open for a while (the first half hour to 45 minutes were problem free).

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

59 minutes ago, JeffreyWalther said:

I had the same issues... but unchecking Hardware Acceleration improved the performance (incl. RAW development).

Your system should be faster with hardware acceleration, have you tried uninstalling your graphics drivers and installing the latest versions?