You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Benchmark: Is Affinity Photo 1.9 'stable' the same as the RC6 Version?

Since Affinity Photo 1.9 in unusable I installed the last beta available the RC6 and it works much better. I have seen that both are supposed to be the same version: 1.9.0.932. Are they really the same?

I run the benchmark in both. Why is the stable version behaving a lot worse than the last beta?

Beta_932.JPG

Stable_932.JPG

Interesting. - Did you used the same hardware acceleration settings for both equally?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hmm, usually I would expect the opposite here, as far as not a bunch of other additional changes went into the release version. - Meaning here, usually beta versions are compiled the way that more debug infos are still inside the code in order to give better reproducable notes and clues for possible issues and backtracing. Due to that execution performance should be slightly lower than for release versions, which are then instead build with full compiler optimizations and stripped out debug infos.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

@Venyer @v_kyr

I see something similar on my machine:

ScreenShot00900.jpg.53393d45c1898b54987444aace054092.jpg

ScreenShot00899.jpg

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

55 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

I see something similar on my machine:

Sorry, but that statement seems ambiguous, to me.

@Venyer is reporting significant differences in the benchmark results between .932 beta and .932 retail.

You, I think, are reporting similar results between beta and retail (within error limits for a single run, I believe), not reporting "similar results to what Venyer is reporting".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry, but that statement seems ambiguous, to me.

Agreed!

What I think I meant was that on my machine the two "versions" seem to be giving slightly different results but they are certainly NOT as "different" as those given by @Venyer.

Sorry for the confusion!

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

19 minutes ago, Venyer said:

I did the benchmarks again with the same test conditions.

Did you use the test conditions that Mark prescribed? restart the machine, no other apps running?

(Note: If you use something like the Folding@Home app, make sure you have shut it down. It makes heavy use of the GPU, and as it runs in the background it may not be obvious that it's running.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

29 minutes ago, Venyer said:

What is the Folding@Home app?

https://foldingathome.org/

It runs in the background, using CPU and GPU cycles to solve various problems involving protein folding to help fight diseases (such as COVID-19). It can be configured to pause when the system is busy, or to use as much resource as it can get all the time. Either would interfere, to varying amounts, with a benchmark.

-- Walt
PC:

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It runs in the background, using CPU and GPU cycles to solve various problems involving protein folding to help fight diseases (such as COVID-19). It can be configured to pause when the system is busy, or to use as much resource as it can get all the time. Either would interfere, to varying amounts, with a benchmark.

Ok. Thank you @walt.farrell

34 minutes ago, Lubiloo said:

I don't know the first things about benchmarking but have found Affinity Photo 1.9.0.932 to be extremely unstable.

Yes, at least in my case too the 1.9 'stable' is completely useless. I am using the RC6 beta that seems to work fine. I recommend you to try it and see if things get better.

8 minutes ago, Lubiloo said:

Then uninstalled the stable earlier version 1.8.5.703 and then reinstalled that into a new folder so that it won't be overwritten when they fix 1.9.0.932. 

Sorry, but I don't think that's going to help as much as you hope.

You can change where the main set of files go, so that instead of C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo you can put it someplace else. However, there is another set of important files that will go into C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo that will be overlayed when installing a new version.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Venyer said:

@Mark Ingram There must be something different because the stable version is terribly slow while the rc6 works much better. I did the benchmarks again with the same test conditions. Here are the results. Any ideas why this could be happening?

Weirdly, I'm seeing the same between retail and beta builds - my beta builds are running faster than retail (at least in the Benchmark). I have no idea why... will investigate...

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Weirdly, I'm seeing the same between retail and beta builds - my beta builds are running faster than retail (at least in the Benchmark). I have no idea why... will investigate...

Even you said those are identical builds, there must be a crucial difference that slows the whole thing down here.

50 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Even you said those are identical builds, there must be a crucial difference that slows the whole thing down here.

Admittedly I am just a Mac version user but even so it seems obvious that for both Mac & Windows the last "RC" betas & the retail release 1.9 versions are functionally far from identical, not just for AP but for all 3 apps. Some of the differences are specific to Windows or to Mac versions but some may not even be specific to any one of the Affinity apps, as if something in the core code did not make it from the RC's to the retails correctly.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Usually a check and comparison of the build settings and VCS branches in the repository for the platform specific RC and release build branches (their history) should indicate if something code wise has been added, changed or been omitted here.

5 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

For Windows and macOS Publisher, the builds are identical if the final 4 numbers of the version number are the same (Designer and Photo macOS have a variation in their version numbers).

OK, but how is it that for example none of the betas had a few tiny, undersized icons (like in the Colors panel) but all the retail releases do?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

OK, but how is it that for example none of the betas had a few tiny, undersized icons (like in the Colors panel) but all the retail releases do?

Perhaps "There have always been ghosts in the machine. Random segments of code that have grouped together to form un-expected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we may call the soul"?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry, but I don't think that's going to help as much as you hope.

You can change where the main set of files go, so that instead of C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo you can put it someplace else. However, there is another set of important files that will go into C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo that will be overlayed when installing a new version.

Hello, Walt.Farrell.  

I did delete the entire contents of the Affinity folder prior to reinstallation of earlier version (fortunately I'd kept the original download) and that has worked fine.  When 1.9.... is fixed, then I'll delete all first prior to installing the new, fixed, wonderfully stable version :)