You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashes when rearranging System Palette

I love that Affinity Publisher can create System Palettes and share the colors with other applications beside the Affinity suite. But rearranging the colors in a palette has always been sketchy in Affinity Publisher and makes the application crash more often than not.

Trying to drag the first color to another position is a bulletproof way to crash the application (other positioned colors are more of a 50/50 risk of crashing).

I'm on Affinity Designer 1.9 and MacOS 11.2 (Intel).

Let me know if I can provide more information for you to be able to solve this, I'm far behind in my color palette management because of this.

16 hours ago, Joakim Svensson said:

rearranging the colors in a palette has always been sketchy in Affinity Publisher and makes the application crash more often than not.

What does "always" mean?
Can't reproduce with v1.8.4 on El Capitan:
swatches_system.png.a7cfcbbebd5f2f0813e8de550f58edb2.png

Rearranging works for me in both palettes simultaneously. Actually I do use custom system palettes a lot, inside and outside Affinity across apps like Adobe CS or Logic Pro, even syncing them between different Macs and between MacOS versions from Mountain Lion Leopard (!) up to Catalina.

Can't comment on Big Sur issues though.

Perhaps you may want to upload a document and a palette that crash?
Palettes are inside ~/Library/Colors

Edited by loukash

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 minutes ago, loukash said:

Leopard (!)

Just checked my backup catalogs, and one of my custom system palettes dates at least as far back as July 2003 – that was on Mac OS X Jaguar! – and its current incarnation was unchanged since 2012 until I briefly tested it right now. The *.clr file format is obviously still the same to this day. :)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Perhaps an incompatible 3rd party color picker plugin?
I've got a few nice ones that still work, like the ~/Library/ColorPickers/SkalaColor.colorPicker (bjango.com/help/skalacolor/gettingstarted). But I vaguely recall that some old ones may have caused troubles.

20 minutes ago, Joakim Svensson said:

Nothing in ~/Library/Colors

That's where the color palettes actually should be, regardless which app creates them.
What if you create a custom palette via Apple's Color Picker first?

Sorry, you're right. There was plenty of files in ~/Library/Colors.

Here are two copies of the same palette with the only difference that the color names of "Does not crash.clr" have been renamed.

"Crashes.clr" terminates the application when shuffling around the two colors in the color palette a few times.

"Does not crash.clr" does not.

Crashes.clr Does not crash.clr

Still can't replicate:
crashpalette19.afpub
Crashes–really?.clr
Crashes?.clr

Moved swatches around, added swatches, renamed swatches, renamed palette, both in APu and in Apple Picker.
Renaming palette in APu while having it open in Color Picker and vice versa resulted in palette duplication upon relaunching APu, but still no crash.
That's on High Sierra.

It must be something else on your MacOS installation. There's so many variables…
Possibly a specific Big Sur issue?

Ok, so I made a few more tests.

The crashed only occur when the palette contains a color with a name longer than nine characters. When all color names are nine or less characters long it always works flawlessly.

I could replicate the error with loukash attached palettes.

The problem has been present for me since the first version of Designer (probably before then in the other apps as well. It was not until the first version if Designer started organizing colors this way). As I said, I've been using multiple computers and OS versions.

I've been using Skala on prior machines, but not since the developer decided to take a different route and stopped supporting the ~/Library/ColorPickers -plugin. There are no files in that folder.

Well, I guess I'll rename the colors to shorter names, that workaround works.

34 minutes ago, Joakim Svensson said:

stopped supporting the ~/Library/ColorPickers -plugin

(Unrelated to your issue, but yeah, I've noticed that it's nowhere to be found for download on Bjango's website. Luckily I always keep at least one latest version of any software I've downloaded backed up. Other than that, I'm an iStat Menus user since many years. Can't work on a Mac without them. iStat Menus and Little Snitch being always the first two things to install on an untouched MacOS.)

I took some time to organize and rename my clients System Palette's colors to be less than or equal to nine characters long and have not experienced any crashes when rearranging colors since.

Perhaps someone at Serif should look into this? I think I narrowed down the problem pretty well.

20 hours ago, Joakim Svensson said:

The crashed only occur when the palette contains a color with a name longer than nine characters. When all color names are nine or less characters long it always works flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...