You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to copy color and tones from one face to another?

I have a selected photo of a person that I pasted into another photo with several people.  I duplicated the base layer and made did a Filter -> Blur -> Average, then moved it to the pasted person, then set the blend mode to soft light.  The made the overall colors of the pasted person appear closer to the base photo.  But the person's facial tone/color is off.  So I tried various adjustments like white balance and HSL, but the pasted person just doesn't look the same as those in the base photo.  So I tried selecting one of the faces in the base layer, then copied and pasted it to make a separate layer.  I then tried moving this layer to the pasted person, and it still doesn't look right.

Can someone tell me how to get the facial color and tone of a pasted person's face to match that of the people in the base layer?

This is just a funny pic of my kid who is into Queen and Hunter X Hunter.  :)

image.png.8f3f2f67c373a51032fe8b80f9588de9.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @zBernie,

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we are extremely busy following our 1.9 update and working from home is unfortunately extending our response window to be longer than normal, many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here.

The easiest way for us to help is if you could provide a copy of your document, as local adjustment such as the one you're looking to make will differ from document to document :)

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @zBernie,

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we are extremely busy following our 1.9 update and working from home is unfortunately extending our response window to be longer than normal, many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here.

The easiest way for us to help is if you could provide a copy of your document, as local adjustment such as the one you're looking to make will differ from document to document :)

Many thanks in advance!

Thank for your help but I've figured out a solution which works very well, but I'm not sure if it's best practice.  Here's basically what I did to match the colors of one face to another.  You tell me if there is a better way:

1. Selected source face and saved just the face to a file.
2. Created a color pallet from the source face image.
3. Selected the target face and created a gradient map.
4. Selected gradient colors from the source face color pallet.

-Thanks!

• Staff

That's certainly one way of achieving this and is a creative method I wouldn't have considered myself - so I will be sure to try this in the future for similar projects!

I'm very glad to hear this worked for you, as mentioned workflows can vary wildly from image to image. For some you could create a LUT based on one image, then apply that LUT to the other image to 'copy' the first images look. You can find out more about this here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38BNQZyzUU

Other options include a multitude of adjustment layers and blend modes, which again can vary on image to image. 

The most important thing (at least in my opinion) is that A) it easily works for you and B) it produces the correct look you were hoping for - and it sounds as though you've achieved both with your method :D

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Perhaps Affinity Revolution's tutorial about stealing color grading from one photo to use in another might prove useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1h2z7iMfhM

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060