You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Locking artboard doesnt work for "select same" and "select object"

nezumi

If we have multiple artboards and we lock some of them, using new "select same" and "select object" options will also select elements on locked artboards. Elements selected in that way can be manipulated, deleted etc. This obviously may lead to many unwanted situations where we feel safe because we have locked artboard, but something got deleted/moved anyways, while we were working on other artboard.

I think this makes new, great functionality very limited when we are working with artboards. Clearly would be better to perform selection only on currently selected/active artboards or only on these that are not locked. Whatever is locked should be... well, locked ;) Thats the whole point of locking it :D

Thanks for great additions, please kindly consider fixing current behavior.

• Staff

Hi Nezumi,

Thanks for the suggestions. We do have an improvement logged that Select Same/Object should adhere to the 'Edit All Layers' setting on the Layers Panel. This would allow you to restrict the selection to the currently selected Artboard.

I'll get your comments passed over.

why not just adding the option with holding "ctrl" while clicking?

so for example.

clicking on "select same / fill color" it selects the objects in the whole document -> status quo.

but with holding "ctrl" while clicking "select same / fill color" only the objects of the active artboard get selected.

it would be a fast and easy way and would spare additional clicks to activate/deactivate the "edit all layers" setting.

For me, this is a use case that definitely needs to be addressed. I'm over the moon that Select Same has been released with 1.9, but as someone with multiple artboards each containing a variation of a composition it unfortunately means the current implementation has a big blind spot.

Here's my use case:
I get to a milestone with a composition, so I duplicate the artboard and get to work on the next iteration. I want to select all curves with a green stroke applied, but unfortunately this also selects all that apply across all artboards and so I either have to go through the previous process of manually selecting the paths on the current artboard and making the desired change, or using Select Same > Stroke Colour and then deselecting all of the selected curves on other artboards. Neither of these is ideal obviously.

Locking artboards would solve the issue of course, but it sounds from Sean P's comment that in future it would be limited by the selection in the Layers panel - which would also solve it.

I guess this was a very roundabout way of saying "+1" :)

• 5 months later...

I have recently encountered this strange bug that Select > Select Same > Stroke Weight does not respect layer locking.

This is what I did...

• Locked all layers in my document

• Unlocked the one I wanted to edit

• Selected a line

• Performed Select > Select Same > Stroke Weight

Then the selection showed that items in the locked layers were selected (layers marked with a lock icon)

To explore a bit more how far this would go, I pressed the delete key, and sure enough, items that were on locked layers were deleted.

This is surely a bug, when a layer is locked, no items should be selectable or editable on that layer; otherwise confidence is lost in the security of the lock function.

I am using the latest Affinity Designer v1.10.0 for Mac

1 hour ago, Zambetti said:

This is surely a bug, when a layer is locked, no items should be selectable or editable on that layer; otherwise confidence is lost in the security of the lock function.

Sadly this is an honest to gosh Feature. I am baffled that a locked layer can have so many things done to it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Sadly this is an honest to gosh Feature. I am baffled that a locked layer can have so many things done to it.

Strange, you have heard that Affinity confirmed that this is the desired behavior? (that locked layers can be modified by some actions)

Do you recall if they mentioned any reasoning for this decision? Or a thread on this topic?

I don't mind lending voice to challenge it; learning this application for the past couple months has been so rewarding.

This particular case of having a near-useless "select > same" is problematic for some more complicated/time-intensive workflows.

It makes me a little worried how many other operations might interfere with locked layers.

On 8/10/2021 at 8:07 PM, Old Bruce said:

Love to read an official overview and explanation on the benefits of how the current locked layers work, as for me it just defies logic, but I'm willing to keep an open mind if it's beneficial to a certain workflow - although, would love to have a Genuine, Proper locked layers like Genuine, Proper vector brushes.

I very rarely fire up the stand alone Designer app as I'm a StudioLink fanboy so I would love the ability to have a switchable, document wide select same which would work with Pub pages and Artboards, as currently select same only works on the current pub page so if I have a colour I've forgot to set as global, throughout a document I have to do a select same through all pages whereas in an artboard doc, it selects from all artboards, which in this particular instance is what I'd want 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk