You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Use of Logitech PC keyboard with Affinity Photo

Hi everyone

I have just installed Affinity Photo but am having problems using the Clone Brush Tool.

I use a Logitech PC keyboard with my late 2012 Mac Mini but I can't find a key combination to select the source area, this also applies in Photoshop CC.

Can anyone please help solve this problem. I have not encountered any problems with other programmes. 

I only recently installed Photoshop on the Mac as I previously used it on a Windows 7 machine.

Thanks

Terry

Hi Callum

I had already tried the Alt key but it doesn't have any effect, I also tried the Ctrl key and various combinations.

I installed the Beta as suggested but I can't find anywhere you can change the key selection for the source point.

The Brush size can be changed but the bracket keys work OK anyway.

Can you please offer any further help please?

Terry

Hi Terry,

I own a Logitech K 120 keyboard myself, and I just checked if there are any problems to use the clone tool … (un)fortunately everything works as expected on my Mac Book Pro …  :unsure:

I had already tried the Alt key but it doesn't have any effect, I also tried the Ctrl key and various combinations.

Have you tried the Command key as well? By default, the positions of the Option (Alt) and the Command key are transposed on a Logitech keyboard. Sorry for mentioning that, I am sure you stumbled over this during the setup. And you will know that you can remap the modifier keys through the system preferences … and you are right, the Beta does not seem to help at the moment …

I fear my comments won’t help you much …  :(

Best, Alex

Hi Alex

The K360 is a similar keyboard to the K120 except it is a bit more compact and a unifying wireless keyboard.

It doesn't have a command key but my initial thoughts were to use the window key, this usually works, not this time.

I then tried the alt key and various combinations but am not able to find anything that works.

Do you use the Logitech Control centre to program your keyboard?

My Performance MX mouse appears in the LCC and I can reprogram all the functions but my keyboard doesn't.

I have been told, by Logitech, that the reason it doesn't appear is because it isn't Mac compatible.

It does appear in the unifying software otherwise it wouldn't connect, Logitech say it is using the Mac software.

You mentioned remapping the modifier keys, do you mean through the computer System Preferences or Photo Preferences?

Callum mentioned changing the shortcuts but I can't find any key referencing the Source tool for Cloning.

I asked him if he could offer any further help but I haven't received a reply!

It may be that buying a new keyboard is the only solution but I love this little keyboard, I have 2,

I have been using one with my Macbook for several years and this is the first time I have had a problem,

maybe there is a programming problem with Photo that can be sorted.

Thanks for your comments, if there are any further suggestions you can make I will be very pleased to receive them.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I was talking about the System Preferences of OS X (see below). I had several PC keyboards (also wireless ones), and they all worked flawlessly with Mac OS X. The only thing I had to do was to interchange the Command key (the equivalent to the Windows key) and the Option (Alt) key through OS X. Have you tried this?

And what concerns your other questions: no, I did not use the Logitech Control Centre … and no, currently there is no customisation option for the modifier that selects the clone source in Affinity Photo.

Cheers, Alex  :)

post-1198-0-24894600-1443264169_thumb.png

Here’s another suggestion, if the above method does not make any difference. There is a free app on the Mac App Store called Key Codes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/key-codes/id414568915?mt=12

You can use this app to detect the key codes that are sent from your keyboard to the system. When I press just the Option (Alt) key on my keyboard(s), I will get invariably the output below.

Cheers, Alex  :)

post-1198-0-81468600-1443264393_thumb.png

Hi Alex

Thanks very much for your help.

I tried your first suggestion, took me a little while to work out exactly what you meant, but it works.

Using the Window key and z key performs undo and shift+windows+z performs redo.

Brilliant, I don't know if it has any effect on my other programs yet, remains to be see.

That will be another obstacle to overcome. 

Hope this can help others, it is probably just Logitech's software, not much point in using it but it's needed to make the keyboard active.

Thanks again

Terry