You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm new to AffinityPhotos so it may be me, but . . .

I want to sharpen an image. I used 'merge visible' to create a composite of my work at the top of the layers stack. With that layer highlighted, I then clicked on the filter icon and added a High Pass filter. The filter dialogue comes up OK, but the main image does not go grey as expected despite the setting of the filter being the default (normal). No filters seems to be working. (I tried a different type of filter.) I tried deleting that layer and adding a filter to the bottom background layer. That didn't work either.

If I do the same thing on a simple background image in a different file, it all works OK. Am I missing something? See screenshot of what happens when I add the filter to the layer. Please help!

Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 00.08.16.png

A little weird as I would expect that High Pass layer in the Layers panel to be highlighted but that just may be a difference between Windows and Mac?

Can you upload the document to the forum

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hello Fenmnan, It looks as if you have somehow inverted the high pass mask.  The mask should be white and not have the black middle section. Try selecting the mask and pressing control - I for windows and you should see the image turn grey as expected.  

Hi Trinity and carl123, your responses are much appreciated, thank you.

I tried to invert the mask a few times using Command I and 'Invert' from the Layer menu. The icon always remains black (and pops up black if I delete the mask and recreate it).

I added a more obvious Ripple filter so I could see more clearly what was going on. That also would not invert or produce any effect. I tried the same things on another file and everything works as advertised. And carl123: it doesn't default to being highlighted when you add the filter - I checked this in another file. So it must be some setting in my file. Is there a lock feature anywhere??

This is a large landscape photo. The only thing I have done differently is to increase the pixel density (horizontal was increased from 6000 to 10,000) in preparation for a big poster print. (I've even tried re-booting my Mac and re-loading AffinityPhoto: I'm using a 2-year-old iMac with a good spec running Big Sur.)

I could upload the file but it's a bit big and, to be honest, I'm a bit worried about posting an image online that I hope to make some money out of! Any more thoughts I could try first?

30 minutes ago, fenman said:

I could upload the file but it's a bit big and, to be honest, I'm a bit worried about posting an image online that I hope to make some money out of! Any more thoughts I could try first?

You could resize the image to a much smaller size use the paint brush to destroy 75% of it (so it cant be copied) then do a save as to a new document name and upload that to the forum

We are only interested in the filter problem not the image

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

You have a tiny selection active (marching ants) that you can't see

Deselect that using Select > Deselect (CTRL+D) delete the old High Pass layer and add a new one and that should work as expected