You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher. Acrobat files. Allow me replace Adobe Acrobat app by Publisher

Now that DataMerge is part of Publisher I can consider using this app seriously (I really appreciated the new feature and was waiting for it before abandoning InDesign).

To replace Acrobat I wonder if the following behaviour is possible.

I would like to tell Windows to use Publisher as my default app when opening  Acrobat files.  Most occasions I only wish to read the Acrobat files.  Can  Publisher be configured to open all pages in the document automatically and default to preview mode.

In this way I can eliminate Acrobat from my system.

Regards.

Publisher can certainly Open a PDF, and (on Windows, and probably on Mac OS) you can configure the system to use Publisher automatically.

However:

1. You will have to respond to the Publisher dialog about what you want to do.

2. You will have to enable Preview mode.

3. You will need to have all of the document's fonts installed on your system.

So, basically, in answer to your question: no.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the prompt response.

Yes.... I had found the 'preview' option. Very useful.

Such a pity there is no default answer which can be applied at  start-up.

Such a pity I cannot use Affinity as a default Acrobat reader as well as a Publishing tool.

Can anyone recommend a good Acrobat Reader (I wish to avoid the Adobe Acrobat reader as it keeps opening the tools panel and keeps pushing ads to purchase Adobe products).

(Still delighted to see the data merge option and will explore its features as soon as I can.)

Regards.

I use a trilogy of programs to be rid of Acrobat (well, I have an old v7 pro, but it's dustbin material). I use Qoppa PDF Studio Pro 2019, Callas PDF Toolbox and until recently SoftmakerFlexiPDF, which I will purchase when it goes on sale. In total, all three have much more than Acrobat (I use Acrobat DC at work) but none have all of what Acrobat does. PDFToolbox is amazing for a lot of professional kind of PDF work that needs to get done, it is however rules based and not very interactive. Qoppa is amazing, it does a ton of cool things. One of my favorites is the crop tool, which unlike Acrobat DC, does not try to rasterize pages. It also has a great basic imposition program, allows for reversing of pages very easily and I can get most locked PDFs unlocked, it's pretty trick. Softmaker has the "edit item" that is great for many things, also changing colors is doable.