You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Show Column Guides" from View Menu not showing up - Affinity Photo

I installed yesterday Affinity Photo and while I was exploring the software I was using the column guides. When I wanted to hide them I couldn't find any option so I went to the Affinity Photo Help to look for it. On the Ruler and column guides page there is written:

To show or hide column guides:

•From the View menu, select Show Column Guides. A check mark is displayed next to the menu item when the guides are visible.

However, as you can see in the next image there is no such option. The only way to remove the column guides is to remove it manualy on the guides manager.

I'm using Affinity Photo ver. 1.9.0.932 on Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

yNDxqet.png

I can confirm that "Show column guides" does not appear in the View menu in the Windows version of Photo. It appears in Designer only.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

3 minutes ago, Petrus said:

It's impossible to hide the column, once you have set them up

You can use value 1 for columns and rows in the Guides Manager to hide them.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

57 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

You can use value 1 for columns and rows in the Guides Manager to hide them.

Thx! But I'm usually using columns for my graphics by using a shortcut to show/hide them quickly when working ;)

Sadly now it's impossible to use a shortcut, or the menu... I hope a new update to fix it asap, as it was working nice on previous releases :) (or may be I've missed something)

• Staff

Hi @edumisilva

Welcome to the forums :)

I have found that our QA team have recognised this as a bug here, as this option is found in the Mac version, but not the Windows version currently - 

I have 'bumped' the development report with your thread now, many thanks for your report!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Evil Pechenka said:

Affinity Photo 1.10.0.1127 (Windows) — not working. 

No, I don't think this has been fixed yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 9 months later...
1 minute ago, Brian_J said:

I'm on Windows and Show/Hide Column Guides isn't available in the View menu in Photo.

Right. That's what this topic is about. If you read the posts above, it's a known bug, but not fixed yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly the APh online help for view shortcuts doesn't list that option at all, even though under APh MacOS the menu entry and also the keyboard shortcut customization entry are available.

show-column-guides.png.7e9dc55160dbf04b36cb2f3c86ce8543.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Thanks for your report - I can confirm this issue is still logged with our developers, to be resolved in a future version, however we have no ETA for when this may be released currently, my apologies.

I will be sure to 'bump' this with the team, to bring it to their attention once more.

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Interestingly the APh online help for view shortcuts doesn't list that option at all, even though under APh MacOS the menu entry and also the keyboard shortcut customization entry are available.

Thanks for letting me know v_kyr, I'll raise this with the documentation team separately :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

7 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Interestingly the APh online help for view shortcuts doesn't list that option at all...

That is true but the link you posted takes me to the AD help page (at https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Workspace/shortcuts.html?title=Keyboard shortcuts), not the APh one.

FWIW, all 3 Mac app versions incluse the View Menu > Show Column Guides & the shortcut option for it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

That is true but the link you posted takes me to the AD help page (at https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Workspace/shortcuts.html?title=Keyboard shortcuts), not the APh one.

And there's another reason I used that one, namely since as the "Show shortcuts for: View" menudropdown selection doesn't work on the photo help pages. The Photo online help related menudropdown doesn't work, but the one on the Designer help pages does!

photo-view.png.96776a8540cb9c6d05bdaf18041822e7.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

• Staff
On 6/9/2022 at 10:14 AM, v_kyr said:

Interestingly the APh online help for view shortcuts doesn't list that option at all, even though under APh MacOS the menu entry

I've spoken with our documentation team regarding this, who have confirmed this section of the helpfile only lists Affinity Shortcuts that have a key(s) assigned to them by default.

Although the 'Show Column Guides' appears in this menu on Mac (and will also be in Windows in a future update), it does not have a default keyboard shortcut set - and therefore is not added to the aforementioned helpfile page, though you can of course still add your own custom shortcut to this option as required.

I hope this clears things up!

18 hours ago, v_kyr said:

the "Show shortcuts for: View" menudropdown selection doesn't work on the photo help pages. The Photo online help related menudropdown doesn't work, but the one on the Designer help pages does!

Many thanks for letting me know of this also, I'll bring this to the documentation team now :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

46 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Although the 'Show Column Guides' appears in this menu on Mac (and will also be in Windows in a future update), it does not have a default keyboard shortcut set - and therefore is not added to the aforementioned helpfile page, though you can of course still add your own custom shortcut to this option as required.

Well I'm not sure if it is an overall good procedure & practise to leave out (aka don't name & mention) available/possible settable keyboard shortcut entries in documentations, just because there is as default no assigned key combination for those. - This way people even might never know by looking/reading through the documentation that they can assign one on their personal demand!

Since the Photo online help section about Ruler and column guides also doesn't give any hint into this direction, namely that it is possible to assign an own keyb shortcut for show/hide toggling column guides. - What I mean is, for me it would make more sense to list all possible keyb shortcut settings, no matter if they have a default assigned keyb shortcut or not.

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Well I'm not sure if it is an overall good procedure & practise to leave out (aka don't name & mention) available/possible settable keyboard shortcut entries in documentations...

The help topic lists the defaults, which is a useful reference. However, it might also be useful if another (linked?) help topic listed everything that a shortcut could be added to, although that might end up being a very long list!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 6:03 PM, R C-R said:

that might end up being a very long list!

But interesting for people who doesn't know the product, and trying to find all the possible available shortcuts. People with habits who wants to be able to config a future software, to be sure before trying/buying, this can save precious free time ;)