You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

unexpected closure

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Please clarify: is the installer failing, or is the application failing after it's installed?

Where did you purchase your Affinity applications? Microsoft Store or Affinity Store?

What version of Windows do you have?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi! I bought the apps (photo and designer) from Affinity Store 2 years ago. I have windows 10. When you open the application you see the main screen and in less than 5 minutes it closes without warning. I have restarted the computer but it continues to crash. When opening Designer, the notice of an update was displayed but I don't have time to install it because it closes

Thanks. Because you have not yet updated the applications, if they're failing to run something must have changed in your system since the last time you ran them.

When did you last run them, and what has changed since then, for example, Windows Updates?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi Walt, thanks for your support

The last time I used affinity without problems was on February 4th.

I have not made any changes since then that would justify the unexpected closure of Affinity.

For your comment I have searched for and installed updates from Windows Update today. Restart the computer but the affinity problem continues.

Could you give me another hint? I miss Affinity

Oh, I am attaching an image of the affinity version that I currently have

historial actualizaciones.PNG

version affinity designer.PNG

I'm confused.

You've said that Designer tells you an update is available, but you have not had time to install it because the program crashes.

However, then you've shown the splash screen for Designer 1.9.0.932, which is the updated version. So you must have installed it?

I'm also sorry, but I don't have any more hints. A number of users are reporting similar problems, and I haven't seen any advice yet that works reliably.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi mare pimentel

I've tried to replicate the crash your video shows, but unfortunately not getting a crash. Does this crash happen every time you do the same steps? Can you reproduce it on a new document?

If so could you download a screen recorder (like TinyTake) to get a screen recording showing all the steps you're doing on a new document? It will help us see all of your screen with a higher quality, so we can see exactly what might be going on. If you don't wish to download that then if you can hold your camera landscape and try to include the whole screen that may help and record all your steps that may also help..

• Staff

Hi mare pimentel,

Thanks for the video - is it the Microsoft Store version you're running - MS Store versions don't need to have any text when pinned to the Start screen/menu. Non MS Store apps (such as the Affinity Store version) will generally show a smaller icon with a text label (such as your VLC or Google Chrome icons in your Start screen).

That aside, whats interesting is your Welcome screen doesn't show any form of feed, so I'm wondering if that is causing the crash you're seeing. Could you try Unticking the 'Mostrar este panel al inicio' checkbox and then quickly close that screen. 

Once that's done close the app and restart it - hopefully this time you won't see that screen. If you could then just go File > New and start a new document and see if it remains open.

Thanks,

• Staff

Hi mare pimentel,

Apologies for the delay in responding. I'm sorry the issue is still happening for you.

Could you try the following please:
Go to the following location and attach any of the recent DMP files that relate to the times the app has crashed shortly after running
%appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Store)\CrashReports\reports

These will be crash logs that I can pass on to development to investigate.

Once that has done could you then go to:
%appdata%\Affinity\Designer\

and rename the '1.0 (Store)' folder to '1.0 (Store) Old' and then try running the app up? Please note this will remove any customization that have been made to the application, including any brush packs, assets etc added, however they'll be retained in this folder for now so we can work on adding them back in if this prevents the crashing.

If that does prevent the crashes could you zip up and attach the '1.0 (Store) Old' folder please? 

If that still does not work could you try installing the 1.9.1 beta available below and see if that does run up:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/33-designer-beta-on-windows/

Hola Sean, gracias por tu amable atención.

He buscado la ubicación que me indicas pero la carpeta Designer no existe. Adjunto el video de cómo aplicar tus instrucciones, ¿lo he hecho correctamente?

También instalé la versión Beta 1.9.1, el error continúa (video adjunto)

Se me ocurre revertir la última actualización de Windows y probar si el error proviene de allí. ¿Tiene sentido para usted?

Espero otras posibles instrucciones tuyas.

Gracias

Hace 9 horas, Sean P dijo:

Hola mare pimentel,

disculpas por la demora en resestancamiento. Lamento que el problema te siga ocurriendo.

¿Podría intentar lo siguiente?
Vaya a la siguiente ubicación y adjunte cualquiera de los archivos DMP recientes que se relacionen con las veces que la aplicación se bloqueó poco después de ejecutar
% appdata% \ Affinity \ Designer \ 1.0 (Store) \ CrashReports \ reports

Estos Ser registros de fallos que pueda pasar al desarrollo para que los investigue.

Una vez hecho esto, podría ir a:
% appdata% \ Affinity \ Designer \

y cambie el nombre de la carpeta '1.0 (Tienda)' a '1.0 (Tienda) Antiguo' y luego intente ejecutar la aplicación? Tenga en cuenta que esto eliminará cualquier personalización que se haya realizado en la aplicación, incluidos los paquetes de pinceles, activos, etc. agregados, sin embargo, se conservarán en esta carpeta por ahora para que podamos trabajar en agregarlos nuevamente si esto evita el bloqueo.

Si eso evita los bloqueos, ¿podría cerrar la cremallera y adjuntar la carpeta '1.0 (Store) Old', por favor? 

Si eso aún no funciona, podría intentar instalar la versión beta 1.9.1 disponible a continuación y ver si se ejecuta:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/33-designer-beta- en windows /

• Staff

Thanks for that. That's really weird - I would have expected a Designer folder in there, but all I can see is Publisher which doesn't appear to be installed. I assume the user you log on to your PC with is also called 'HP'?

From your first few posts it does sound like this was also happening before you installed 1.9.0, so its unlikely to be a recent change in the software we've done and does certainly seem to be something with your system.

If you go to paste the following %appdata% into the run dialog and click OK I presume it takes you to C:\Users\HP\AppData\Roaming\ ?

Does anything appear inside Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application for Designer.exe that you could attach? Lastly you could try creating a new user within Windows and see if that allows you to start the application up successfully!

Thanks

eureka!

we are close to the diagnosis thanks to you.

Answering your first question, when I paste %appdata% into the run dialog, it sends me to C:\Users\HP\AppData\Roaming

-------

When entering the Event Viewer and running the designer application, it showed me several errors. I attach the images.

I also attach an appCrash report of the results of the event viewer through the link that you will see in one of the attached images

(\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Designer.exe_7c1b48fbb934587831fc5d8ff296d1af829ec3_b29a52f7_ce61ffdc-67b6-42d3-baee-fe2605e88c8a)

While you check what I send, I will execute the last suggestion regarding creating a new user,

I will inform you

event viewer 1.PNG

event viewer 2.PNG

event viewer 3.PNG

event viewer 4.PNG

report app crash designer.txt