You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products 1.9 update - crash on splash screen (win10)

Hi,

I've read a couple of reports of the issue and each suggesting several ways to workaround it.
It doesn't work for me. I didn't wanted to jump on another thread as they all suggest different things and doesn't seems like its an isolated problem but the working solutions does seems like it is not one solution fit all.
So here's my issue:

this morning I had some work to do and instead of going the adobe way I thought I'd use some of the new features from affinity 1.9 as they're exactly what I wanted to use for my project (and wasn't available in 1.8).
I have been using Affinity since 2017 so I am quite aware of their product line and I love them. Usually pretty stable. But missing tools have kept me subscribing and using adobe for most work.

1.9 really sounded like a blessing covering some of the areas I really wanted affinity to cover. But after updating it won't open. Splash screen goes on for 2-3 seconds at the most and shut down. Nothing happens next.

My specs :
I have an Ideapad 700 from lenovo.
GPU- 940mx (up to date, last drivers were from end of January 2021)
CPU- intel i7 
Ram- 16Gb
Windows 10 home (updated)

What I tried:
holding control while opening the software - nothing happens
going in Appdata to remove GPU acceleration for every apps - doesn't help
tried launching using GeForce 940mx and integrated intel graphics - doesn't change a thing
uninstalled/reinstalled/rebooted - nothing works
I tried launching as admin - won't help
Launched in compatibility mode Win 8 - same issue

I am not sure what to try next. I know its a matter of time before it gets fixed and I cannot wait to use it.
Great list of features and its the most exciting update you guys made in the past few months (maybe years) to me.

Can't wait to try it! :)

Windows 10, Affinity Designer + Photo (Graphic Design, photo-editing).

any update on the situation? The softwares are broken on many computers and I was lucky enough to have access to older versions but I am excited about the new features. I understand that it can be complicated to find a solution.

• Staff

@MikeDuf Can you try the following for me on each of your Affinity apps to see how they behave. The last part of the location you type will change depending on which app Photo, Designer or Publisher but the rest is the same.

Make sure you have removed the compatibility mode you enabled before doing this.

Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog and then type CMD and press Enter. This will launch Command Prompt.

Presuming you have the app installed in the default location, type in cd "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\" and press Enter. Now type Photo --font-cache-logging and press Enter - the app will now launch.

4 hours ago, Lee D said:

@MikeDuf Can you try the following for me on each of your Affinity apps to see how they behave. The last part of the location you type will change depending on which app Photo, Designer or Publisher but the rest is the same.

Make sure you have removed the compatibility mode you enabled before doing this.

Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog and then type CMD and press Enter. This will launch Command Prompt.

Presuming you have the app installed in the default location, type in cd "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\" and press Enter. Now type Photo --font-cache-logging and press Enter - the app will now launch.

will do tonight. Thanks for your time.

I'm having a similar issue as the OP.  I've got both Photo and Designer and both applications show the splash screen state that they're loading fonts and then crash.

@Lee D I attempted running photo using your command with --font-cache-logging and got the same behavior.  If that command created a log file somewhere I'm happy to upload it if you can point me to it.

15 hours ago, Lee D said:

it does launch for a split second like when I double click on it :(

not a solution for me unfortunately.

Since updating to 1.9 on all 3 apps on windows 10, Designer, Publisher and Photo I have had trouble launching. They all crash on the splash screen. After some persistence they would eventually open and I managed to save & update some projects.
They will not open at all today. I have rolled back to the previous version that work but I can not open projects saved on 1.9.
I have also updated the display drivers.

I have tried your suggestion on the Photo 1.9 Beta, this works and launches.

I have tried the Publisher 1.9 beta but have the same splash screen crash issue.

Edited by SteveWAZ

I'm having the same problem - I've got the Windows Store version of Photo and Designer, and after the 1.9 update they both crash at the splash screen. I uninstalled Photo thinking it might have become corrupted, and now when I try to install it from the Windows store I get a Code: 0x80073D05 error.

I did some searching on this error code, and it seems to relate to licenses. This would make sense if the licensing got borked with this update, and might possibly explain the programs force-quitting at the splash screen, but it's just a theory.

Unfortunately, I cannot try the beta because I cannot install the Windows Store version, and that is required to use the beta. Any other ideas? I'd love to just use the Affinity store and installer - is there any way to transfer a Windows Store license over and get a product key?

Edited by KevSteele

I have resolved the issue it was my intel graphics driver.

I had manually updated to what I thought was the latest ones - 26.20.100.6911 - date 28/05/2019

But I decided to run the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Software, this picked up on the latest 2021 released drivers, I installed using the online assistant, all programs now running and launching perfectly.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Edited by SteveWAZ

I restored my copies of Photo and Designer by using a full system backup I had from before the 1.9 update. I've now tried the betas - the Photo beta fixes the quitting at startup problem, the Designer beta still force quits after the splash screen - I see the app window appear for a split instant, and then it's gone.

Progress, at least, although I still can't use Designer until this is fixed.

20 minutes ago, SteveWAZ said:

Kev, it will be your graphic drivers needing updated to the latest, 100%

Unfortunately, it wasn't. I've running the latest Nvidia GeForce drivers hotfix, 461.51. I also rolled back to an earlier version to test, same problem.

At least the beta fixed Photo - I'll keep watching and see if they fix the splash screen crash for Designer...

• 2 weeks later...

An update - after none of the betas seemed to work, and updating my video drivers didn't help, I bit the bullet and ran DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to remove my video drivers while in Safe Mode, then installed the latest drivers from Nvidia.

That did the trick. Both Designer and Photo now no longer crash at startup. Don't know if there was some unseen corruption in the drivers, but a complete 'reset' of the video drivers fixed things.

• 2 weeks later...

Over a month after the release and still the software on its latest version won't launch... Very unimpressed. I don't even want to update the beta in case it doesn't work anymore because it's my way to open my designer files now...

Adobe breaks their softwares and functions a lot... And that was why I preferred affinity... But 1.9 update is very adobe-esque.

Please... you got a beta working a month ago... Can you fix the main build too?

Still crash on launch on 1.9.1.