You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

There is a checkbox in Preferences to import smart objects where possible...
image.png.99bec5a90ef93e9da1ac10c62f3855a6.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Unfortunately does not work.

In all cases, or for one specific .psd file?

It is not supposed to work in all cases (thus the "where possible") as Photoshop has functions that are not supported by Affinity. But it should work in many cases.

What release of Designer are you using, and if you've updated to 1.9 recently did it ever work for you (with that .psd file, or any) in 1.8?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

In all cases, or for one specific .psd file?

It is not supposed to work in all cases (thus the "where possible") as Photoshop has functions that are not supported by Affinity. But it should work in many cases.

What release of Designer are you using, and if you've updated to 1.9 recently did it ever work for you (with that .psd file, or any) in 1.8?

I have 1.9.

Answers for the rest of the questions?

Did you try in 1.8 (and did it work) or is 1.9 your first release?

Does it fail on all files, or just one in particular?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks.

So we do not know whether you have found a new problem in 1.9, or whether you have simply chosen a Photoshop mockup that is not supported by Affinity due to the Photoshop functions it uses. Can you share the mockup so someone can try to figure that out?

Also, can you explain your workflow a bit, and perhaps share your .afdesign document with the mockup in it, too?

-- Walt
PC:

If a Warp effect has been applied in the Mockup it will be ignored and the texture in the smart object will show as flat. 

The left can is a screenshot from Photoshop, the right opened in Affinity Photo, there is also a problem with the light and shadow effects connected to the smart object (Embedded Document)

We need a live warp effect and we should be able to make Affinity Photo Mockups and do away with PSD Mockups.

image.png.954e5badc331d7f641a1b3ff295213ab.png

The Light and shadow effects are being offset to the right, hence the line down the middle of the can, I think this is tied in with the warp effect but could be re-aligned as a workaround in Affinity Photo.
image.png.11686d98a0cbf172f1bdb2694381970b.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks.

So we do not know whether you have found a new problem in 1.9, or whether you have simply chosen a Photoshop mockup that is not supported by Affinity due to the Photoshop functions it uses. Can you share the mockup so someone can try to figure that out?

Also, can you explain your workflow a bit, and perhaps share your .afdesign document with the mockup in it, too?

Most of them do not work with Affinity Designer 1.9. Try it yourself.

https://de.freepik.com/search?dates=any&format=search&page=1&query=logo mockups&sort=popular

Hi,

I have the same problem with all the smart objects in mockups (psd files). In addition appears all the smart objects like broken:

mockup_issue.thumb.png.0de0650a55b4c5dd03b9876ecf6fd9d9.png

I'm new user with Affinity (I didn't use 1.8 or previous version) so, I'm not sure if that is normal or what... As Designer1 says, working with that a properly work is not possible.

How is it possible fix it?

On 2/11/2021 at 11:12 AM, Designer1 said:

[...]  Professional work is not possible!

"Professional" work should pay for the tools you need. Hence, if you need Photoshop's features which Affinity apps can't provide, your jobs should pay for former app.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

20 hours ago, Andy05 said:

"Professional" work should pay for the tools you need. Hence, if you need Photoshop's features which Affinity apps can't provide, your jobs should pay for former app.

This is not correct. Affinity provides smart object support that does not work properly. For this reason, professional work with Affinity Designer is not possible. If you offer a feature, it should work. Otherwise, this is just a marketing stunt to attract customers who want to switch from Adobe to a cheap alternative.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

This is not correct. Affinity provides smart object support that does not work properly. For this reason, professional work with Affinity Designer is not possible. If you offer a feature, it should work. Otherwise, this is just a marketing stunt to attract customers who want to switch from Adobe to a cheap alternative.

They don't claim that each and every function of photoshop's smart objects is supported. Using the term "can import psd smart objects" is correct (they don't claim "can import all..."). And in the app itself, it even states "where possible", telling everyone with some common sense that it's not possible in all cases.

There's a lot of stuff which can make it hardly possible using affinity apps for professional use, but the import of foreign smart objects is not one of the important things here. Seriously, if one can't work "professionally" without using templates for a different program and one can't afford latter, one might has to overthink the "professional" status.

Furthermore, this does not render my previous statement incorrect at all. A professional tool should pay for the tools needed. Period. If affinity's apps don't provide the tools you need, it's not the professional tool you should buy or use. It's really as simple as that.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

@Designer1,

I agree a 100% with what you are saying! It clearly says "Smart Objects Supported" and it should be "Limited Smart Object Support"! This forum is full of posts about this subject so that it's limited supported is clear for me! I had the same problem with Photoshop stuff only half working it's very frustrating.

And @Andy05 what would you think if somebody responded to you in the way you do to @Designer1 advising him to purchase other software!? Come on!

David

6 hours ago, All Media Lab said:

And @Andy05 what would you think if somebody responded to you in the way you do to @Designer1 advising him to purchase other software!? Come on!

David

Well, if you read up, you'll see that Designer1 claimed that the software isn't usable for "professional" work. That's what I disagreed with as such statement is kinda weird if you can't work "professionally" just because of the lack of full support of importing all kinds of smart objects of a third party software. 

And still, the vast majority of PSDs with smart objects are supported. Except for i. e. those with warp functions used in them. I don't know if there are other issues, too - I'm not using premade mockups for my work as I don't want to pitch over the same mockups to a customer which dozens of "professionals" also might have sent already. Hence Serif's not using the common terminology of "full support" in his advertising. 

And if you absolutely have to work with PSD files (other than mockups) in order to do your job, I'd never try to work with a program, which isn't using the format as a native format. 'cause that's not professional. ;-)

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

15 hours ago, Andy05 said:

Well, if you read up, you'll see that Designer1 claimed that the software isn't usable for "professional" work. That's what I disagreed with as such statement is kinda weird if you can't work "professionally" just because of the lack of full support of importing all kinds of smart objects of a third party software. 

And still, the vast majority of PSDs with smart objects are supported. Except for i. e. those with warp functions used in them. I don't know if there are other issues, too - I'm not using premade mockups for my work as I don't want to pitch over the same mockups to a customer which dozens of "professionals" also might have sent already. Hence Serif's not using the common terminology of "full support" in his advertising. 

And if you absolutely have to work with PSD files (other than mockups) in order to do your job, I'd never try to work with a program, which isn't using the format as a native format. 'cause that's not professional. ;-)

Affinity Designer unfortunately has several bugs in version 1.9, such as text grouping not working properly. When one buys a program, one expects all program functions to work properly. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

For Photoshop compatibility purchase Photoshop. Engine A is not equal to Engine B no matter how hard any company tries to make them communicate.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Affinity Designer unfortunately has several bugs in version 1.9, such as text grouping not working properly. When one buys a program, one expects all program functions to work properly. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Firstly, Photoshop also has bugs. (That's what bugfixes for.)

Secondly, we've been talking about a function and if it's working as advertised (it is) and not about bugs.

If a bug-free program is what you are searching for... well, good luck then.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

4 hours ago, Andy05 said:

Firstly, Photoshop also has bugs. (That's what bugfixes for.)

Secondly, we've been talking about a function and if it's working as advertised (it is) and not about bugs.

If a bug-free program is what you are searching for... well, good luck then.

Everyone has their own opinion, so that's the end of the discussion.

Hopefully when/if affinity make a live warp filter we can make affinity mockups.

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Everyone has their own opinion, so that's the end of the discussion.

Indeed, whenever one runs out of arguments, it's better to end the discussion. ;-) 

On a serious note, there are quite some things, which could backup your statement "you cannot work professionally with Affinity". If you check my history of posts here in the forums, you might notice that I often agree in this. Yet, the inability of working with every single file out there which is in a native file format of a completely different program surely isn't among these. 

Jowday was right when posting:

8 hours ago, Jowday said:

For Photoshop compatibility purchase Photoshop. Engine A is not equal to Engine B no matter how hard any company tries to make them communicate.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2021 at 11:31 AM, Jowday said:

Is the 3D smart object in Photo 2 also not supported?