You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Select Same" and "Select Object" with multiple artboards

Maybe I am missing something, but is there a way to limit these new functions so they work just for one, selected artboard?
If I want to select all text on the artboard I am working on and ALL text is selected across multiple artboards function becomes useless... I tried locking other artboards but it still is selecting elements across all of them. Whats more - you can even move elements selected in this way while artboard is technically locked. I tried turning on visibility of other artboards but this also didnt worked.

Long story short - if I am not missing anything - can you please make possible to use these new tools only in the active artboard? They work great on single page, but to use them with multiple artboards this is a must in my opinion.
Thanks for the great improvements in 1.9!

There doesn't seem to be any way to do this. Even disabling Edit All Layers doesn't help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

A workaround would be to open in publisher as pages, then you can only edit what is on your chosen page, although you can't (currently) go back to artboards

I think the current workings are good but I would like to see an option to select same across all pages in Pub and maybe an option to select same on on this artboard only in designer

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

12 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

A workaround would be to open in publisher as pages, then you can only edit what is on your chosen page, although you can't (currently) go back to artboards

I doubt they will ever provide conversion from Pages to Artboards.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I dont know how many times somebody wants to work on multiple artboards at the same time - I think it should work just for the active one. At least as default behavior.

And what clearly looks like a bug is that this functionality ignores locked artboards. The lock isn't working basically. We can feel safe after locking artboard and then delete part of it by accident.

I guess I will just post that in bug section then.

As it stands now, the select features are a nice addition, but are frustratingly all encompassing. They really should let you limit its scope as far down as to a group.

While I can see the benefits to having it select things across your entire project, it certainly shouldn't be the default and only option.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 11:22 AM, Cyrisus said:

As it stands now, the select features are a nice addition, but are frustratingly all encompassing. They really should let you limit its scope as far down as to a group.

While I can see the benefits to having it select things across your entire project, it certainly shouldn't be the default and only option.

In the interest of visibility I'm going to throw in my 2 cents. I mentioned this in relation to another thread regarding the scope of the Select All/Same functionality. Wouldn't it be a simple fix to just expand the scope of the lock function to exclude locked objects from all manipulations, including selecting same attributes?

I am a game developer and primarily use Select Same on duplicated items that I wish to recolor quickly. In it's current iteration Select Same is only marginally better than just selecting objects individually. Since locked items are not immune to the Select Same parameters I typically have to cut or copy the objects onto a separate document in order to prevent altering my locked originals, this is a workable solution but hardly ideal for efficiency especially given my scope. 

Edited by lb Cake
I wanted to quote a user

+1 bump. I just upgraded to 1.9 and was very excited about the Select Same feature (really the only thing holding me back from using Designer full time instead of Illustrator). Unfortunately, much like you, the way this feature is currently implemented is tantalizingly useless. Until I can limit it to only visible objects, or have locked objects not be included in the selection, it doesn't help. It's so close, yet so far. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's a workaround to solve this "limited range" of Select Same, that is by changing the color tag or the name of the layers you want to select.
It's still not efficient, but it works. At the very least, once you have changed the colors or names of those layers, you don't have to do it again manually.

5 hours ago, BlokyMose said:

There's a workaround to solve this "limited range" of Select Same, that is by changing the color tag or the name of the layers you want to select.
It's still not efficient, but it works. At the very least, once you have changed the colors or names of those layers, you don't have to do it again manually.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

That's an interesting idea, but it does not seem to influence the behavior of Select Same when I try it. Can you explain further, and perhaps provide a example .afdesign file?

-- Walt
PC:

Thank you for your warm welcome!

Well, I hope I don't misunderstand you here, but more or less this is what I'm thinking: (see the GIF below)

So the idea is, select the objects you want to reselect later. Then, change their names or their tag colors. By doing so you can reselect them by [Select Same - Name] or [Select Same - Tag Color]

You have to do the selection manually at first, but after that, you don't have to do it again.

_Same.gif

5 hours ago, BlokyMose said:

So the idea is, select the objects you want to reselect later. Then, change their names or their tag colors.

As I understand it, the primary use case for this feature is to deal with documents created from external sources without having to individually find things across a potentially large subset of objects within that document.  Those external sources may not have support for things such as layer names and color tags, limiting the scope of usefulness of this option.

It may help some users in some situations, but I don't believe it generically solves the issue being discussed here.

• 9 months later...

Nezumi wasn't the first to make the request, but it's been almost a year now. There was no response from the development team and no change to the AD.

When Select Same was first released, I thought this improvement would catch up quickly. Unexpectedly, the development team was really reluctant to make any changes to it. Very disappointing!

8 hours ago, seabirdr said:

There was no response from the development team

Serif generally does not respond to Feature Requests. They read them to gather suggestions, but that is all that usually happens unless or until they actually implement a change.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 months later...
On 1/12/2022 at 5:30 AM, walt.farrell said:

Serif generally does not respond to Feature Requests. They read them to gather suggestions, but that is all that usually happens unless or until they actually implement a change.

But fixing an obvious bug is not the same as a random feature request. This really limits the usefulness for those creating complex documents with multiple artboards.

1 hour ago, affino said:

But fixing an obvious bug

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

As far as I know this is not viewed by Serif as a bug, but as something which is working as they planned, but which could use some enhancement. 

-- Walt
PC:

• 4 weeks later...

I've been facing this issue in iPad and it's really frustrating.

Select same, within a certain context, should be possible. That context being a group as well as an artboard. It should have a toggle for refining the scope of where it affects the filter: Whole Document; Selected Artboards; Current Artboard; Current Artboard and all subgroups; Current Group and All Subgroups; Current Group; Selected Groups; visible objects on screen; hidden layers; select the same by curreng marquee (so many options that should be possible)...

Besides that, "deselecting the same" should also be possible. We should be able to fine tune and filter out what we want to deal with effectively removing some objects from our current selection.

Lastly, it does seem like a bug if the function isn't working as it should. Select same is picking objects in all artboards when that seems to be the least useful scenario. It's ignoring locked objects, it's ignoring the context we are at, it's ignoring our selection, and it's ignoring then it's either a bug, or a bad design option. I think I rather see it as a bug.

4 hours ago, JQL said:

Select same is picking objects in all artboards

Yet this is making it work well for some users who specifically need the ability to do exactly this, as per discussion in another recent thread.  Your "bug" is another user's solution to a problem they were facing.  It is intended behavior and therefore not a bug, but the option to limit the scope of the selection in various ways would certainly be a welcome refinement to the existing feature.

32 minutes ago, fde101 said:

It is intended behavior and therefore not a bug

OK. Let's see it as intended behaviour then. Not a bug.

I would then request that the behaviour would take into account:

A - That when nothing is selected, only the context of the selection would be considered as the scope for the "Select Same" filter, by default.

B - That a second list/menu would expand the scope of the "Select Same" filter to a bigger context: selected object(s) context(s) (default), include all layer subgroups, include all parent groups, include all in current artboard, include all artboards.

I feel that if we only had option A, we still could select everything we needed, in all artboards, by selecting an object in each, while right now we can't achieve a limited scope selection. Therefore, I think the way it was designed isn't the ideal and even if not bugged, it has an issue.

• 1 month later...

Another vote from me for being able to limit the selection to the active artboard. The only way I seem to be able to get around this is to copy the artboard I want to work on and put it in a new document. I could definitely see how being able to BOTH, select all of a type from the entire document, or limit it to artboard/group/etc could be very useful! Please put this feature in a future update Affinity! :)

• 2 months later...

Hello, 
had the same problem, here is my workaround, maybe it will help someone: 
1. select all elements of the artboard
2. reduce opacity
3. use "select same > fill color" to select the elements
4. select all elements of the artboard again and reset opacity again 

(of course this only works if all elements have the same opacity)

• 5 months later...

I use assets with multiple layers that I use with multiple art boards, . I was approaching this problem the same way by trying to hide the color tagged layers and as stated, hide on one Art Board hide on them all. One of my art boards I use as a scratch sheet I just select and "harvest" the tagged objects I need and paste then to the other art boards. So select the color tagged objects you want to use and copy and paste on to the art individual art boards rather than hide them. 

Edited by carriej

• 3 weeks later...