You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac trick - Add Shortcuts for individual Page Presets

As it looks, you can't assign Keyboard Shortcuts to the newly introduced Page Presets within Affinity Apps, although you can assign one to quickly bring up the Studio Presets Manager panel and then quickly select one of your presets.

However, on Mac at least, it is possible to assign a Keyboard Shortcuts to individual Presets.

Go to: System Preferences - Keyboard - App Shortc…  and create a shortcut specifically for Affinity Photo (and/or Designer, and/or Publisher).

image.png

image.png.310aeaf0cc4d49407235c8e0b9d85ded.png

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

On 2/6/2021 at 9:36 AM, RNKLN said:

it is possible to assign a Keyboard Shortcuts to individual Presets

Yes you can:

As soon as you've named your presets, they should also become available in Affinity's own Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > View.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

That would be great, but I haven't seen that behaviour happen. I would expect to see entries, in my case, such as: Studio Presets > Default. And that's exactly the reason why I came with this workaround. Any suggestions?

image.png.2602d8d8381e31f322fc07ca105947c8.png

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

2 hours ago, RNKLN said:

I haven't seen that behaviour happen

Hm, I thought I’ve seen that while testing v1.9 on another partition the other day. I’ll have to check again then…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

’ll have to check again then…

Voilà:
aph_studio_presets_shortcuts.png.9532bcb37af6c38d79f3762c54be194b.png

BUT: (Yes, it's a very big but…)

It appears to be a bug rather than a feature.
As noted, they will appear there immediately after creating them.
However, while you can sort of add a shortcut there, it will not stick or do anything. Sometimes you'll even get a spinning beach ball of death if you try to add a shortcut.

Tested on APh 1.9, High Sierra

So the global MacOS Shortcuts way is currently the better approach for sure.

Hmm…

• If you're using the default keyboard shortcuts, the presets won't appear in the list.
  • If you've loaded your custom shortcuts from an *.affshortcuts backup, under some circumstances the presets will appear in the list. But sometimes not.

This is weird and totally inconsistent.

Well, at least there's hope this is going to work, eventually. In the meantime I think there's no need to flag my little Mac trick as 'obsolete'. 😀

2 minutes ago, RNKLN said:

I think there's no need to flag my little Mac trick as 'obsolete'.

Definitely not!

Meanwhile, posted a bug report: