You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer group with multiply to create a vignette crashes Affinity Phot

I use a layer group, with one black layer covering the whole image and one smaller white rectangle with gaussian blur, with multiply on the layer group to create a vignette. I have found that this causes Photo to run high CPU and become unusable and I have to close the program. This happens on multiple photographs but if I repeat on a new blank image it appears to work. I suspect it is something to do with the fact I have a photo which of course has multiple colours and the gaussian blur with the multiply option on the group, because if I don't have the gaussian blur it appears to work ok. It can happen as soon as I create the layer group, or sometimes it is when I adjust the size of the inner rectangle (the one with the blur). This problem happens every time I try this. This worked perfectly before upgrading to 1.9.0.932. 

5 hours ago, John F H said:

I use a layer group, with one black layer covering the whole image and one smaller white rectangle with gaussian blur, with multiply on the layer group to create a vignette. I have found that this causes Photo to run high CPU and become unusable and I have to close the program. This happens on multiple photographs but if I repeat on a new blank image it appears to work. I suspect it is something to do with the fact I have a photo which of course has multiple colours and the gaussian blur with the multiply option on the group, because if I don't have the gaussian blur it appears to work ok. It can happen as soon as I create the layer group, or sometimes it is when I adjust the size of the inner rectangle (the one with the blur). This problem happens every time I try this. This worked perfectly before upgrading to 1.9.0.932. 

further testing suggests it is not the multiply option on the layer that causes the problem, so it is something to do with the layer group and the gaussian blur, as this example shows it happening without the multiply option on the layer groupimage.thumb.png.90ea3829f5db6cb384a3f214e1916662.png

I can not replicate that here. I've followed what shows in your screenshots, and your description of your steps.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, Ron P. said:

I can not replicate that here. I've followed what shows in your screenshots, and your description of your steps.

Did you use a hi-res image as the background or a blank document? It happens for me every time, I have given in and reverted back to the older version which works fine

Either, doesn't really matter. I've tried it with images I've shot, from the stock images, didn't matter, I can not replicate your issue.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi @John F H,

Do you mind attaching the afpub file in question? 

Also, what are your pc specs? 

Hi,

I am willing to share the file but not on this open forum, if you give me a DM or email I will send it. As for PC spec I am running a Dell XPS13  9370 which has i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 1992 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) and 16GB RAM, so a relatively hi-spec.

Thanks

John

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

Thanks for the specs. We were aware of some issues with Radeon RX5000 series GPUs and through you might have had one of those.

You can use this link to upload the file: https://www.dropbox.com/request/u7pRBIUtS1X2ftueZwuh

File uploaded 

325A6895.afphoto When I select to change the "Highlight" box size it crashes Affinity Photo every time. I created this from the raw file for this test and I re-installed v1.9 for this too. I will revert back to 1.8.5 because I use this technique a lot.

7 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Can you look into %appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports and see if you have any crash reports? I can't replicate this here :( 

I don't have a Beta directory as I just have a 1.0 directory. When this problem happens Photo doesn't crash, it just stops responding and I have to kill it. It happens every single time I create this layer structure.

6 hours ago, John F H said:

that appears to fix the problem

I have now done further testing with both the beta version and 1.9 and both don't have the problem if I disable hardware acceleration. This is the first time I have had to do this with any app and I have various image editing and video editing programs. So first, thank you for identifying the issue but will this be fixed in future releases? 

50 minutes ago, Gabe said:

That's good. At least we are on the right track now. Do you happen to now have a crash report in that 1.0 Beta location? 

There is still no crash report. The program doesn't appear to crash it just gets stuck in a high CPU state and the program stops responding. I tried leaving it but it just keeps in that state and I have to kill the process.