You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 1.9.0 crashes on launch

getify

I've been running Affinity Designer 1.8.5 on windows 10 (x64) fine for quite awhile. I decided to update to 1.9.0 this evening, and immediately on launch it crashes.

I've "repaired", uninstalled and reinstalled, and updated my graphics (and other system) drivers, updated .Net, etc (all things I saw in other threads). All steps give me the same results: 1.9 shows the splash screen while loading fonts, then shows the main window (with a spinner) for about 5 seconds, then it just crashes -- no error or anything, just closes.

When I uninstall 1.9 and reinstall 1.8.5, that launches just fine.

I'm attaching the crash report for the latest crash of 1.9. Help!?

5a4f441a-6e61-426a-aa1d-6e4bd100fd91.dmp

EDIT:

I have a Surface Laptop 3 with Intel i7 CPU, Iris Plus Graphics, 16GB ram. The graphics driver I updated to is from Intel and is dated 1/8/2021, so very recent (previous version was from Sept 2020, so not too old). My Windows version is 20H2 (Build 19042.746).

Same bug here. Sat in front of my pc to work this morning and updated to 1.9 really excited to try out the new features... I get the launch screen for a few seconds and then it crashes.
I tried opening files (as I know there have been issue with welcome screen before - 1.7 I think) but this seems to be on loading the software.

Note that it happens on all 3 of the programs (Designer, Photo and Publisher).

I am on Win 10 (x64) gpu is 940mx (laptop internal gpu) and i7 6700HQ cpu and 16GB ram

Windows 10, Affinity Designer + Photo (Graphic Design, photo-editing).

Hello,

I have updated Affinity Designer with version 1.9.0.

After something is exported in eps format, I can´t klick any buttons.

If I close the program, I can´t reopen it. I have to restart the pc.

Is there a possibility to switch back to a older version?

Thank you. 

20 hours ago, MikeDuf said:

Same bug here. Sat in front of my pc to work this morning and updated to 1.9 really excited to try out the new features... I get the launch screen for a few seconds and then it crashes.
I tried opening files (as I know there have been issue with welcome screen before - 1.7 I think) but this seems to be on loading the software.

Note that it happens on all 3 of the programs (Designer, Photo and Publisher).

I am on Win 10 (x64) gpu is 940mx (laptop internal gpu) and i7 6700HQ cpu and 16GB ram

The tip from @Dan C about running Affinity with the parameter - any help?

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

3 hours ago, Jowday said:

The tip from @Dan C about running Affinity with the parameter - any help?

You mean turn GPU acceleration off by setting it to false in the preference document?

Didn't worked no. :(

Just now, MikeDuf said:

You mean turn GPU acceleration off by setting it to false in the preference document?

Didn't worked no. :(

Yeah - or running the  program with parameter that does the same.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

4 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Yeah - or running the  program with parameter that does the same.

Changing the parameters from appdata didn't worked.

All my driver's are up to date

Tried holding ctrl key but nothing happens (holding it from 3sec before pressing till program's splash screen open and crash then I wait a bit and let go)

Tried running as admin

Tried running on Intel GPU instead of my 940mx - doesn't work

Tried rebooting several times, fresh install from 0, ... I'm really out of solutions for that one and since I had work to do I'm back on earlier version for now. Just lucky that I can do that... Some who just bought the software are stuck with a bricked software.

55 minutes ago, MikeDuf said:

Changing the parameters from appdata didn't worked.

All my driver's are up to date

Tried holding ctrl key but nothing happens (holding it from 3sec before pressing till program's splash screen open and crash then I wait a bit and let go)

Tried running as admin

Tried running on Intel GPU instead of my 940mx - doesn't work

Tried rebooting several times, fresh install from 0, ... I'm really out of solutions for that one and since I had work to do I'm back on earlier version for now. Just lucky that I can do that... Some who just bought the software are stuck with a bricked software.

Sorry about that mate. I think you should wait for Serif to continue the support thread here. Ah, and you returned to the previous version.

I am not a big fan of the update notice (you cannot turn off) the moment you start an older version of the software - because first movers are the first to get burned. And sometimes stuck.

In the beta phase I had a similar problem because I am running Windows 10 enterprise N - which means "No media player". Installing the media player solved the issue because a video codec were a prerequisite for the program running. A classic dependency issue.

That issue should be solved now. But interesting to know what version you are running. I don't think it is a related issue because in that case the program terminated before the splash screen was ever shown. Instantly.

2 hours ago, Jowday said:

Sorry about that mate. I think you should wait for Serif to continue the support thread here. Ah, and you returned to the previous version.

I am not a big fan of the update notice (you cannot turn off) the moment you start an older version of the software - because first movers are the first to get burned. And sometimes stuck.

In the beta phase I had a similar problem because I am running Windows 10 enterprise N - which means "No media player". Installing the media player solved the issue because a video codec were a prerequisite for the program running. A classic dependency issue.

That issue should be solved now. But interesting to know what version you are running. I don't think it is a related issue because in that case the program terminated before the splash screen was ever shown. Instantly.

windows is up to date and I am running windows 10 home. I will have to see if it works at the office on Monday but I don't really want to go through all this at work. I already lost a lot of time at home since I have work to deliver on Monday. I think I will wait for Serif to make a proper fix as we're a ton of people who cannot access the latest version right now :(

• Staff

Hi All,

We've made a fixes to some of the crashing issues users have been getting. Would you mind trying the latest beta available below to see if that resolves the crashing for you. If it does not, could you go to the following location (depending on which build you're using) and attach the latest crash DMP that relates to the time of the crash. Thanks!

If you're using non-beta:
%appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports

If you're using beta:
%appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports