You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all

Please forgive the noob question, but in the new 1.9 Astro stacking feature, is that just for images shot with a telescope?  Or does it work with what I would call wide DSLR landscape astro images? The ones where you have an interesting foreground and the sky is shot separately.  I ask because I had already arranged for a friend to show me how to do astro, you know, go in the country, setup your dslr to 11mm f/2.8 and 30 secs and shoot away, sort of thing.  Is this feature any good for those sort of shots?  I imagine the sky would move significantly during a session and it's not clear to me if AP will align the images or not.

Cheers!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Chris in NZ,

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

On 2/6/2021 at 5:01 AM, Chris in NZ said:

the new 1.9 Astro stacking feature, is that just for images shot with a telescope?  Or does it work with what I would call wide DSLR landscape astro images?

I can confirm that the Astrophotography Stacking feature is designed to work with telescope images, and DSLR RAW files alike :)

On 2/6/2021 at 5:01 AM, Chris in NZ said:

The ones where you have an interesting foreground and the sky is shot separately

Unfortunately however we don't have a 'freeze ground' feature that some other Astrophotography apps support, so if you are looking to create an Astrophotography stack with a landscape also in the image, the best way to do this is separately.

I would recommend stacking your astro shots in Affinity, then developing one image manually with the landscape you want to include. You can then composite these two images together, so that you have a aligned stars and and landscape in focus.

I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2021 at 12:41 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @Chris in NZ,

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

I can confirm that the Astrophotography Stacking feature is designed to work with telescope images, and DSLR RAW files alike :)

Unfortunately however we don't have a 'freeze ground' feature that some other Astrophotography apps support, so if you are looking to create an Astrophotography stack with a landscape also in the image, the best way to do this is separately.

I would recommend stacking your astro shots in Affinity, then developing one image manually with the landscape you want to include. You can then composite these two images together, so that you have a aligned stars and and landscape in focus.

I hope this helps!

Hi Dan

This time it's my apologies! For various reasons I haven't managed to get those astro images, despite being literally in the middle of nowhere at 2am, weather has conspired to defeat me, so I haven't been able to come back and say YESSS YOU WERE RIGHT! lol

I'll get there soon!  Still keen to try it out.