You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Performance Still Sucks

Something I noticed after BETA 1.9.0.874, was that my performance degraded overall.  What I'm talking about is general navigation in the Publisher.  Like when typing, especially.  The cursor couldn't keep up and at times the program would seemingly pause my ability to type.  I could keep typing and the program would eventually catch up but I found it to be unacceptable and I reverted to .874.  No issues there at all.  The Main 1.9 version seems like a nice upgrade over the old 1.8, however, some of that sluggishness is still there.

My theories are sitting somewhere around my choice of processor in my PC.  I'm running an AMD 5600, six core / twelve thread processor.  I am wondering if the devs haven't optimized for AMD, or dropped the optimizations and focused on the Intel Platform.  I saw issues like this when I first picked up Affinity Publisher, at launch, with my AMD 1700 8 Core / 16 Thread Processor.  Experiencing an immediate uplift moving to an Intel i5 8600K.  So, why is beta .874 (an old beta per se) so much more responsive than the official launch of 1.9?  Is that BETA version that much ahead of the code they implemented into the main stream release?  And why were later releases of the BETA worse than .874?  

Here is my system:  

ASUS TUF X570 Motherboard, 32 Gigs of DDR4 3800 MHz Memory (4 sticks of 8, configured to take full advantage of the AMD 5000 series... 4 in this case is better than 2 for how AMD addresses memory on the 5000 series), Water Cooled (280MM) AMD 5600 Processor running in performance mode (not overclocked), 2 TB M.2 3500 MB/s TLC SSD (brand new) boot and application drive, 1TB SSD as a swap drive, GeForce 2080Ti, Discrete 5 GB/s NIC, External Creative Labs X-Fi USB Audio.  

Works perfectly on .874.  I have reverted to using the BETA once more.      

Windows 10 x64 (OS Build 19043.1706) - AMD 5900X - 32 GB - 2 TB M.2 - 1 TB SSD - Radeon 6900XT

Ok, this solution actually worked...  

nodeus

•  
  • nodeus
  • Members
  • 43 posts
  • Locationperm, russia

Well, I have a solution.

go to %AppData%\Affinity\Publisher\ and rename the "1.0" to "1.0 old ver" and restart Publisher.

This is work for me. 

Windows 10 x64 (OS Build 19043.1706) - AMD 5900X - 32 GB - 2 TB M.2 - 1 TB SSD - Radeon 6900XT

Great... It's back to BETA 874 for me then.  Wonder what systems they are testing these releases on...  Even 874 crashes, eventually, but its been the most stable in general for me.  I am uninstalling 1.9 until they figure things out.  

• 2 weeks later...

It did help performance but even with the panel removed I'm still getting weird UI refreshes, input lag, and increasingly slow performance over about an hour of use. Saving and editing the document seems to accelerate the performance decline.

Win10 - Ryzen 3600 - RTX 3070

Same here.  Every version of this software has been unstable in some way.  The current beta build I'm running crashes unexpectedly, but it's not slow like the recent betas and the "stable" release.  I want to love this software but it seems like things are taking a step backward rather than forward.