You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher: Text in Text Frame switches to next page too soon, leaving gap

Affinity Publisher: Text in Text Frame switches to next page too soon, leaving gap.

Problem: Master has text frame. Text is about 127 pages long. On some (but not all) pages the text does not fill the text frame completely. Instead, the text jumps to the beginning of the next page too soon, leaving a space gap on the current page. This happened twice in a couple of pages apart. 

* I activated special characters so I could see of any line breaks or page breaks caused this, but there aren't any breaks.

* I deleted pages and then refilled the text, to no avail.

* I inserted pages, but that did not help either.

Any ideas? I believe there's a bug in Affinity Publisher.   

I'm attaching screenshots as well as sample file (excerpt).

Thanks for looking into this. I'll also address this issue to the forum.

Thanks and regards, Daniel

2021-02-06_afinity-publisher_gaps_screen_01.png

hm_ebuch_46_transformation_v1B_error.afpub

Based on my (limited) experience with this kind of problem, I would investigate the Flow Options in the Paragraph panel or in the Paragraph Text Style:

image.png.bead3eac9330d3416799a35ed5739b02.png

Especially, perhaps, "Prevent widowed last lines" and "Keep with next...".

In fact, if any are on, you might start by turning them off, and building from there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks much Walt. Great help. That solved part of it. I did not realize that there are individual Flow Option settings for Paragraph and Character.

Good news: It's (partly) solved.

Bad news: Orphaned or widowed lines Flow Options don't work in a user-intuitive way. Might be good for the development team to review this.

I guess I'll have to adjust orphaned or widowed lines manually now, because that's why I turned on the Flow Options in the first place. 

Daniel

3 hours ago, danielschenk said:

Orphaned or widowed lines Flow Options don't work in a user-intuitive way.

I can't claim to understand everything about them, nor to know whether everything is working correctly.

But it appears that when you're looking at text at location X that the text at location Y some significant distance later can have an effect, especially when you consider the "keep with next" settings.

You might also look at the "Start" setting, so that if you have a certain level of heading you can force it to the next page, which should perform a kind of reset to the positioning and remove some of those distance effects.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 3 years later...
On 2/23/2024 at 12:28 AM, ibokaj2 said:

I am having the same problem.

Everything looks fine with orphans, widows etc.

Publisher version 2.3.1

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @ibokaj2. :)

Make sure that the ‘Show Special Characters’ option is switched on, and look for a ‘Page Break’, ‘Frame Break’ or ‘Column Break’ character at the bottom of the run of text where the unexpected split occurs.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 2/22/2024 at 7:28 PM, ibokaj2 said:

I am having the same problem.

Everything looks fine with orphans, widows etc.

Publisher version 2.3.1

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

We would probably need to see a sample .afpub document that exhibits the problem, or at least see a screenshot showing the two text frames, and showing those Flow settings for the relevant paragraphs.

-- Walt
PC:

Hello!

Thanks for your attention.

I will send some pictures to see if it helps. If not, I send you the file.

Captura de tela 2024-02-25 230112.png

Captura de tela 2024-02-26 083818.png

If the paragraph is not switchig to next frame, the whole frame becomes empty.

Setting "start" in next page or next frame have the same behaviour.

Thank you!

Edited by ibokaj2

Thanks for the pictures. Does disabling the widows/orphans settings completely solve it? If not, I would need the file to say anything more, I think, as these situations are often quite complicated. 

-- Walt
PC:

Without the document I'm just guessing, but here are some guesses.

• We can't tell from the screenshots whether you've selected the frame in the last screenshot with the text or move tools, so we can't see what attributes are applied to the body text or title. But the screenshot shows Keep With Previous Paragraph and Keep Paragraph Together both selected. Don't select both of these for the same paragraph or text style. If you had hundreds of paragraphs in a row with these two options set, you'd be asking Publisher to keep all of them together as a single block which creates these sorts of problems.
  • If turning off one or the other of these settings for all the text doesn't solve it, is that photo on the left page pinned? If so, try making it smaller and seeing what happens.
  • You say the problem starts when you apply the text title - check Paragraph > Flow > Start for that paragraph. Is it set to start anywhere or in the next frame?

Good luck

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)