You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.9 Pattern layer - not in Affinity Designer?

I suppose there's always a possibility, but Serif is unlikely to comment on any future plans.

Feel free to request it in Feedback for Affinity Designer on Desktop.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

While it would be nice to have this tool in Designer, it also doesn’t surprise me that it doesn’t. It’s the sort of tool that’s more likely to be used in a raster editor such as Photo. Plus the fact that you can seamlessly share files and resources between Photo and Designer makes its absence in Designer less painful.

That said, it wouldn’t hurt to have a similar tool in Designer, although I’m betting it would need to be majorly retooled. 

14 hours ago, Ulysses said:

... Plus the fact that you can seamlessly share files and resources between Photo and Designer makes its absence in Designer less painful....

Well, it's only less painful if you OWN Photo. I do not. I have no need of it. The Pattern creation would be something I'd expect to find  in Designer, even if it is only for the Pixel persona. 

I would also use this on Designer instead of Photo. Having an icon background for example would be so much easier to do. But to be honest, I also dislike the way they implemented it into Photo so hopefully they will rework the way its working for Designer.

But I really hope they will release this to Designer soon. It really is a bummer to copy & paste stuff a hundred times...

I don't get why this would be in Photo first. I always liked the idea of Serif using Designer as a tool to create designs and Photo to edit photos. Patterns are a tool for illustration, hence better fitted for Designer. I never liked having to use Photoshop to design stuff so it would be nice to draw a more clear line here instead of releasing designtools in photo.

Buuuut I can also understand that Designer would demand for vector-patterns which might be more complex than the pixel only-brushes in Photo. 

Still its sort of an odd roadmap and I'm waiting for patterns in Designer for years now.