You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 19 Crashes when loading a photo

I have just upgraded from the last version to version 19 and now when you load a photo ( Sony raw .arw) It is slow to load then gives a washed out grayish image for about 3 seconds then the whole program crashes. I have tried this with jpeg and get the same thing.  

I am using A Lenovo AIO, windows 10 build 19402 , i5-6400 2.7GHz, 8 Gig ram with a 2 Gig built in video card.

Any ideas ?

Thanks 

Andre

Have now found this works. Have  found that if I went into "edit" then went down to "preferences " then into "performance"  and changed the "Renderer" the program stopped crashing it was still a little slower loading the image but it worked. Hope this helps. Andre

• Staff

Hi @Andy7300,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble and my apologies for the delayed response here!

Can you please provide a screenshot of your Edit > Preferences > Performance dialog for me?

On 2/5/2021 at 10:17 PM, Andy7300 said:

with a 2 Gig built in video card

Do you happen to know the make/model of this card? I suspect our new OpenCL feature is causing this issue for you, and this may be related to the type of Graphics card in use.
Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hello Dan and thank you for getting in contact. As reported originally My computer would crash when a photo was loaded. My computer is a Lenovo AIO 700 and it has a  NVIDIA GeForce 930a with 2GB Memory and 8GB Ram. I had recently updated all my drivers from Bios to Graphics card with the build in Lenovo updater and as reported when I installed Photo 19 it would crash. I then installed the Nvidia  software and this did a driver update and I was still getting the same issues. I have now checked my settings in device manager - Display adapter and this has given me an option to update the drivers for my card and it is now third time lucky. The program now no longer crashes when loading a photo. So I'm unsure why the other 2 updates failed but at least now it is working. I hope this information is helpful in helping other people and yourself.        Once again thank you  for taking the time to get in touch.

Andre

It seems like Affinity Photo doesn't get along with nVidia GPUs, at least some of them. It crashes when opening an image if I have my laptop's nVidia 2060 6GB selected as the rendering device, with or without OpenCL enabled. It works fine with OpenCL enabled when using Warp for rendering, or with the integrated Intel Iris GPU.

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know @Andy7300 and I'm very glad to hear you were able to resolve this on the third driver install!

I'm sorry to hear this @Tamerlin, can you please confirm, have you downloaded the latest drivers for your card directly from the manufactures website?

During installation I recommend selecting 'Custom' and then 'Clean Install' to remove all old drivers from your machine, whilst installing the new one.

If this does not help then our QA team would like to investigate this further, could you please post in the below section of our forums with as much information as possible?

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/78-photo-bugs-found-on-windows/

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

My first thought was the drivers...  which I keep up to date to run Resolve anyway, and I've also gotten into the habit of using the clean install option. That was my first thought when Affinity Photo crashed on me as well. I'll post everything I know there this evening after work.