You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disappointed with AD exports - I must be missing sumthin'

This png export is from an all vector file. The lines and text look great, but the arcs (pen tool created) are awfully pixelated. How can I get smoother exports?

Thanks!

headerlogo.png

This is also a known issue in other applications - the web export in Illustrator is abysmal at low resolution, for example. Anti-aliasing vector art at lower resolution may disappoint at times.

A work-around solution is to export at a much higher resolution, and then scale down the bitmap to the required size.

Some applications allow the user to select Catmull-Rom algorithm based down-sampling when scaling down - I found this to yield the best results after having done many tests: both sharp-looking edges and great anti-aliasing.The results are superior compared to other down-sampling algorithms. (Photoline, ColorQuantizer, ImageMagick are applications which support this.)

A work-around solution is to export at a much higher resolution, and then scale down the bitmap to the required size.

Thanks. I was prepared for that when I first saw this... but why does the text look so good? (I figured I had to have been missing something with pen tool-created objects)

• Staff

... but why does the text look so good? (I figured I had to have been missing something with pen tool-created objects)

Hi ScottinPollock,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The contrast between the text and background is lower compared to the logo and the background. The text also benefits from a subtile shadow that helps to blend it with the background. The logo has very thin (high contrast) corners which doesn't help either. The best way to overcome this is to down sample the image as @Herbert123 already suggested.

@ScottinPollock,

I found this topic because I had similar problem. I decided to follow @Herbert123 suggestion but his suggested tools were not suitable for me (or too expensive for just resizing, or only Win etc) 

So I took this way:

I have and object (let's say 90px x 90 px)

- Export to PNG 900px x 900px (lanczos 3 separable)

- Resize the PNG to target sizes (mine from 29x29 to 180x180) using "Preview" app, native of Mac OSX

I found that quality of resize tool of this app is very high (even if not settings are available)

and reduce all pixel artifacts as expected.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Emanuele.