You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.9.0.932] Symbols and copy/paste issue

Evening,

I am getting some very strange results with symbols in the latest version of AD. Appears to be breaking on the simple process of copy and paste. 

Using a basic grid format for testing seamless patterns. Constructed a multi-layer seamless pattern
When Completed I attempted to copy the file for further editing onto an older output grid
If I use a group and copy/paste between files it sort of works also If I use 'Paste without format' I can get the symbol object to be stable!

NB
Using a combination of previous files (AD1.8.5) and latest version...so essentially opening previous file and copying a symbol created in AD 1.9 to that file.  It is breaking....with some weird results
a. some of the elements (vector get rasterised)
b. The scale is way off
c. vector objects contained within a rectangle are released or duplicated

If I break the symbol or use a group it works as copy and paste should 
I am using complex multi-layered symbols

Video to follow!..

I just recorded the process so you can see what is going on:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

• Staff

Hi StuartRc,

There does seem to be something very strange going on with your Paste. Taking your Dino 05 pattern from this thread I can copy and paste the Working symbol object into a new document without an issue (if placed within a pixel document it appears correctly at 200x200px).

However if I go to Edit > Paste Special and select Portable Document Format I'm getting the non symbol, rasterised areas version that you're getting. This would explain all three points mentioned above.

Can you try going to Edit > Paste Special - what options do you see? I'm getting Portable Document Format, PNG, Device Independent Bitmap and Serif Persona Nodes. If you see Serif Persona Nodes could you try selecting that - ideally that is the option you should be getting when doing a normal paste. That will give you the results you expect and that does seem to be working my end.

If you start a completely new document (set to pixels) does it still paste incorrect for you, or is it limited to those specific files?

Yep no problem...I tried some of this on Sunday..

1. When I just copy the symbol from the pattern builder onto a output grid (base textures and styles) In 1.8.5 it was fine..AD would just move symbols between files as a symbol object...In the 1.9.0 it created some very strange results. I was wondering initially, whether there was  issue with opening 1.8.5 files into 1.9 and mixing the 2 but there seemed to be more to it....

2. I could not see any reason why it would rasterise the compound vector, other than in this case it is a blend/transparency object
3. When I selected the copy/Paste options I did get different results.

But I can run through those again:

This is what I get with Dino 5

a. Paste special:inkscape.svg=as video .no symbol
b. SVG=breaks
c. Unicode text =breaks
d. PDF = very small not correct size
e. PNG=no result
F. Device Independent Bitmap=no result
g. Serif Persona Nodes= no result

I could get the image/symbol to paste correctly with 'Paste without Format' but it was no longer a symbol

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

Just to let you know

I did some more digging....I found a way to make it work!

If you turn off 'copy as SVG' in prefs The Symbol will copy and paste like they used to...including pasting into the symbol box...Strangely I believe this was on in 1.8.5 and has been for a long time...:)

So doing the opposite of the previous settings to get it to work...if you know what I mean...

Or

having 'copy as SVG' on in prefs breaks copying symbols between docs

• Staff
15 hours ago, StuartRc said:

Just to let you know

I did some more digging....I found a way to make it work!

If you turn off 'copy as SVG' in prefs The Symbol will copy and paste like they used to...including pasting into the symbol box...Strangely I believe this was on in 1.8.5 and has been for a long time...:)

So doing the opposite of the previous settings to get it to work...if you know what I mean...

Or

having 'copy as SVG' on in prefs breaks copying symbols between docs

Oh wow! Thanks for doing the digging there. Switched this on and can reproduce the behaviour you are seeing. This makes sense as this option was modified to also place SVG data as a text node onto the clipboard, unfortunately it looks like its no longer putting any Serif Persona Node (or PNG) data on to the clipboard so is falling back to the SVG or PDF data and giving you the results.

I'll get this passed over to development. Thanks again!