You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Really slow performance after updating to 1.9

Venyer

6 hours ago, Wes_L said:

Photo is virtually unusable with hardware acceleration enabled.

This was trying to do a focus merge.

The log file shows loads of CL errors including:

[OpenCL] Error -5 (1152): Could not enqueue write buffer!
[OpenCL] Error: CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES error executing CL_COMMAND_WRITE_BUFFER_RECT on GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (Device 0).

[OpenCL] Error -9999 (757): Could not flush!
[OpenCL] Error: Unknown error executing clFlush on GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (Device 0).

[OpenCL] Error -5 (1152): Could not enqueue write buffer!
[OpenCL] Error: CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES error executing CL_COMMAND_WRITE_BUFFER_RECT on GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (Device 0).

[OpenCL] Error -9999 (757): Could not flush!
[OpenCL] Error: Unknown error executing clFlush on GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (Device 0).

[OpenCL] Error -9999 (746): Could not wait for event!

There is also an error:

Wintab: Failed to load Wintab32.dll
Wintab: Failed to create tablet context

image.png.4c651325a31cc2755049832c343df923.png

Log.txt 260.13 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks - we've identified a problem with Focus Merge and will have a fix available shortly.

Hey again, I've tested Affinity Photo 1.9 on my Surface Book and the performance is a bit better than on my desktop PC but also not perfect. Affinity Photo 1.8.5 was much faster on my Surface. I guess I also have to roll back to version 1.8.5 until the performance issue was fixed in 1.9. Good luck for this mission!

Here is still the configuration of my Surface Book:

CPU -> Intel i5 -6300U 2.4 GHz  |  GPU -> Intel HD Graphics 520 | RAM ->  8 GB

I have the same problems with the speed of work and execution. Creating new documents takes several seconds. When selecting or changing brushes, for example, it takes several seconds to switch.

Addendum: Without hardware acceleration activated, everything runs more smoothly. By the way, Designer and Publisher run smoother even without OpenCL support enabled.

Log.txt

Log without opencl.txt

Edited by Komatös
Attached second log

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

1 hour ago, Komatös said:

I have the same problems with the speed of work and execution. Creating new documents takes several seconds. When selecting or changing brushes, for example, it takes several seconds to switch.

Addendum: Without hardware acceleration activated, everything runs more smoothly. By the way, Designer and Publisher run smoother even without OpenCL support enabled.

Log.txt 5.95 kB · 0 downloads

Log without opencl.txt 5.38 kB · 0 downloads

Hi @Komatös, I notice you're using an AMD Radeon RX. We've had reports from several owners of these cards, which we're actively investigating. For now we recommend disabling hardware acceleration.

47 minutes ago, Artisan9 said:

I don't know if this will help but here is my log file.  I'm on windows 10 20H2, RX5600XT GPU and Ryzen 2600X CPU.  I have switched off hardware acceleration due to slow response.

Log.txt 7.29 kB · 1 download

Thanks @Artisan9, would you mind posting in this thread, so I can keep track of the AMD Radeon RX users?

@Mark Ingram

how long does it approximately take to solve the Open  CL bug? Obviously a lot of functions are depending on Open Cl.  The Focus staking for example does not run  with disabled Open CL. I want to downgrade my Affinity Photo till the issue is fixed. Could you publish a hidden download link to the former version?

57 minutes ago, Thorsten Photo Worker said:

@Mark Ingram

how long does it approximately take to solve the Open  CL bug? Obviously a lot of functions are depending on Open Cl.  The Focus staking for example does not run  with disabled Open CL. I want to downgrade my Affinity Photo till the issue is fixed. Could you publish a hidden download link to the former version?

You can just disable hardware acceleration in Preferences.

the previous version from the Affinity store is available from here. https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1/