You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Really slow performance after updating to 1.9

Venyer

32 minutes ago, Venyer said:

I have just installed the latest version of AP 1.9 and the performance was really slow. It was like hardware acceleration wasn't working. Then I had installed the latest studio nvidia drivers with no luck. I have an nvidia 1660ti. Any ideas?

Slow doing what? 

6 hours ago, Wes_L said:

@Venyer. Have you tried switching off hardware accelaration. Others are having similar issues

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/132797-19-slow/

Thank you @Wes_L Yes, I have tried and no change. The behaviour of the program is the same. The performance is really bad. I have tried one of the 1.9 earlier betas and the program run much better. It seems the he acceleration is broken.

Hello, I have the same issue here.

After updated to 1.9.0, I have serious performance issue on brush tools.

For example:

I create a new document, the resolution does not matter. Then I choose paint brush tool on the left, any type of brush in brushes tab is fine, such as round brush with 16px.

Until now, there is no performance issue. I can move the cursor smooth.

Then I start to draw on the empty canvas. after the first draw, the assistant pop-up on the top right corner. Since the assistant pop-up appears, any time the cursor leave the canvas (for example, try to choose the tool), I can see the serious frame rate drop down in the next 3 seconds. The cursor cannot move continually, and with the tool I can see the GPU has a high percent usage in seconds.

But if the cursor leave the canvas and move to the checkbox on the top side, such as stabilizer when I chose paint brush, or symmetry when I chose mixer brush, the cursor will restore smooth immediately.

I tried disable the HW acceleration but it did not help.

My PC has i9 9900KF, RTX2080super, 32GB RAM. and the system is in idle.

Hi to you all…

…I can confirm what Venyer discribes here. After I've installed the latest version of Affinity Photo (1.9) there is no workflow anymore. After the update the speed of Affinity Photo turns from lightspeed (1.8.7) to no speed (1.9). It takes much time to open documents of any kind and after the painfull process of opening documents the use of any tool is a torture! I like the Affinity products very much but Affinity Photo 1.9 is absolutely unusable in the current state of development.  

When I upgrade from an older version of CorelDraw to a higher one sometimes the same bug pops up. Here is it always a problem of incorrectly programmed APIs. Maybe that information could help…

I work on a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X workstation PC with the latest version of Windows 10 Pro.

Best regards

I tried the same steps I mentioned before with previous version 1.8.5 and it has the same issue, the way to walkthrough it is changing the renderer from GPU to WARP. I think it is an issue on Nvidia driver 461.40.

Edited by Q. L

Further testing shows that nearly every function is delayed.  Loading a new blank canvas, rotating it 90 deg. and start painting with a brush.  Each thing was delayed like the program was going to some subroutine then coming back.  Once something like painting came back it ran faster than the non accelerated mode.   I also tried effects like bevel and they were delayed as well.   Win 10 20H2 with Radeon RX5600 XT GPU and Ryzen CPU.

Sorry, I do not use RAW photos because I use Affinity Photo to edit illustrations and something like that. But I guess it makes no difference which file format you want to edit in Affinity Photo 1.9 because the file I tried to edit is a very simple illustration in black and white colour…and it takes 24 seconds to open it in Affinity Photo after starting the program. After closing the file and open it again Affinity Photo shows the illustration with no delay. But all the tools I have tried work always very slow... 

Hibiskus.jpg

1 hour ago, feinfinger said:

Sorry, I do not use RAW photos because I use Affinity Photo to edit illustrations and something like that. But I guess it makes no difference which file format you want to edit in Affinity Photo 1.9 because the file I tried to edit is a very simple illustration in black and white colour…and it takes 24 seconds to open it in Affinity Photo after starting the program. After closing the file and open it again Affinity Photo shows the illustration with no delay. But all the tools I have tried work always very slow... 

Thanks for the info. Could you possibly share the file with us? Also, what is your GPU? I notice you say you used a Ryzen CPU above.

Hi Mark,

I attached the test file under my post. I can see it here in the forum. It is that large black and white illustration of blossoms and leaves...

My hardware components are:

CPU -> AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | GPU -> Radeon RX 5500 XT | Mainboard -> Gigabyte B450 AORUS M | RAM -> Kingston DDR4 2400 16 GB

I have the same issues. Affinity don't to work well together with my  AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT GPU.  I switched off the hardware acceleration. So it works bit better. But  makes no sense. The released version may be not tested enough before publishing. Serif, that was not a good chess move.

Changes. Attached the logfile, benchmark test Affinity Photo Based, Deep Benchmark Log File

Benschmark Test Affinity Photo 1.9.JPG

Log.txt

My Hardware.LOG

Edited by Thorsten Photo Worker

46 minutes ago, Thorsten Photo Worker said:

I have the same issues. Affinity don't to work well together with my  AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT GPU.  I switched off the hardware acceleration. So it works bit better. But  makes no sense. The released version may be not tested enough before publishing. sSrry serif. That was not a good chess move.

It's been tested extensively, throughout the beta period, but it sounds like we haven't had many beta users with this PC configuration.

@Thorsten Photo Worker | @Venyer | @feinfinger | anyone else experiencing this:

Can you upload a copy of your log file for me to see:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Log.txt

@Mark Ingram

We have a dedicated workstation for video editing on which the Affinity apps are installed, too. The hardware is dominated by AMD: Ryzen 7 3700X + Radeon RX 5700XT on an Gigybyte Auros B550 mainboard and 64 MB RAM.

Our performance issues occur when starting either Affinity or Blackmagic Resolve: It takes pretty long to load images and clips before they get displayed. An usual JPEG image of 2MB takes roughly 8-10 seconds to load in APh, if it is the first image to be loaded during a session. The next images load in under two seconds. It doesn't matter whether the images are dragged in or opened by using the open command in the file menu. It also doesn't matter whether or not APh has been running for some time: It is always the first image that gets loaded slowly. Having OpenCL disabled doesn't make a difference.

Interestingly the same happens with mpeg4 or quicktime clips in BM Resolve: The first ones take ages to get displayed in the timeline, later on they get displayed immedeately.

1 minute ago, VolkerMB said:

@Mark Ingram

We have a dedicated workstation for video editing on which the Affinity apps are installed, too. The hardware is dominated by AMD: Ryzen 7 3700X + Radeon RX 5700XT on an Gigybyte Auros B550 mainboard and 64 MB RAM.

Our performance issues occur when starting either Affinity or Blackmagic Resolve: It takes pretty long to load images and clips before they get displayed. An usual JPEG image of 2MB takes roughly 8-10 seconds to load in APh, if it is the first image to be loaded during a session. The next images load in under two seconds. It doesn't matter whether the images are dragged in or opened by using the open command in the file menu. It also doesn't matter whether or not APh has been running for some time: It is always the first image that gets loaded slowly. Having OpenCL disabled doesn't make a difference.

Interestingly the same happens with mpeg4 or quicktime clips in BM Resolve: The first ones take ages to get displayed in the timeline, later on they get displayed immedeately.

Can you also upload a log file?

The reason the image loads slower the first time is that we have to initialise OpenCL on it's first use. So I would expect the image loading time to be consistent when you disable hardware acceleration. Please can you confirm whether that's the case, because it sounds like you're saying that with HA disabled, the first image open is also slow?

2 minutes ago, feinfinger said:

Here is my log file. I hope it will be helpfull...

I've never tested the beta version of AP 1.9 because there was not enough time to playing around with the new Affinity Photo version. Now I know I had to take the time to play.

Log.txt 10.27 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for this - did you open some images before closing down the application?

Photo is virtually unusable with hardware acceleration enabled.

This was trying to do a focus merge.

The log file shows loads of CL errors including:

[OpenCL] Error -5 (1152): Could not enqueue write buffer!
[OpenCL] Error: CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES error executing CL_COMMAND_WRITE_BUFFER_RECT on GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (Device 0).

[OpenCL] Error -9999 (757): Could not flush!
[OpenCL] Error: Unknown error executing clFlush on GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (Device 0).

[OpenCL] Error -5 (1152): Could not enqueue write buffer!
[OpenCL] Error: CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES error executing CL_COMMAND_WRITE_BUFFER_RECT on GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (Device 0).

[OpenCL] Error -9999 (757): Could not flush!
[OpenCL] Error: Unknown error executing clFlush on GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (Device 0).

[OpenCL] Error -9999 (746): Could not wait for event!

There is also an error:

Wintab: Failed to load Wintab32.dll
Wintab: Failed to create tablet context

image.png.4c651325a31cc2755049832c343df923.png

Log.txt

Edited by Wes_L