You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a few questions about things in Affinity Photo.

Hello! So, I've been working on designing the interface of an app I'm looking forward to create and I've ran into some problems. The first one is every time I go to move a layer to a higher position, it gets turned into a folder with the layer above it. Is there a way to move layers up and down, without grouping layers? I'd like to reorder them in the way they show up on the page... ( 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) Thanks!

Also, I was wondering if there's a way to add a stroke/ fill to an image that I placed. I'm not sure what they call the image, but it has no background.. It's like just the symbol I want, but without the white background. Is there a way to add stroke? Thanks!!

Riley

• Staff

Hi vzfy,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1) While dragging the layer, mouse-over to the left until the blue horizontal marker changes position and touches the left side of the Layers panel. This will place the layer as a sibling of the other layers rather than a child of one of them.

2) I'm not sure if i understood you correctly but there's a couple ways to go about this:

To fill the image/symbol (assuming it's a transparent PNG) press and hold ⌘ (cmd) and click on its thumbnail in the Layers panel to create a selection around the symbol then go to menu Edit ▸ Fill... select Custom colour and pick the colour you want, then click Apply.

To create the stroke:

• the simplest way is to select the image/symbol layer, click on the FX icon on the bottom of the Layers panel, put a tick on Outline and make sure its selected to change its properties, give it a radius. make sure the Alignment is set to Outside and pick a colour.

• alternatively, press and hold ⌘ (cmd) and click on its thumbnail in the layers panel to create a selection around the symbol. Go to menu Select ▸ Outline... give it a radius and set the alignment to Outside. Now to fill it with a colour go to Edit ▸ Fill... select Custom colour and pick the colour you want, then click Apply.