You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Odd behavior using Add to Swatches From Fill as Global

I have two objects in a document (below), a green rectangle and a pink ellipse. And I have a document palette.

1. If I right-click on the pink ellipse and choose Add to Swatches > From Fill as Global, the color is added to the document palette.
  2. However, if I right-click on the green rectangle and choose Add to Swatches > From Fill as Global, the color is not added to the document palette. Why not?
  3. I can right-click on the green rectangle and choose Add to Swatches > From Fill, and it is added to the document palette. I can then right-click on that swatch and choose Make Global, and it becomes Global. Why can't I add it directly?

(In case it matters, the two objects were created from Assets. The assets are also embedded in the document. I don't remember doing anything special or odd when creating the assets, but I don't really remember how I created them a few weeks ago.)

Global-Fill-Question.afdesign

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

In case it matters, the two objects were created from Assets

I can do the create thing with other home made objects but not from your asset derived things so..... 

I am thinking there is something with the assets causing this problem.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks.

Both of mine derive from Assets, but the one behaves oddly.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Your green rectangle's fill already is a broken global colour named "Global Color 4" which is not in the document pallet. That global colour must have been assigned in some other document before you made an asset of the object.

The command From Fill As Global does not add a swatch to a document pallet when the selected object's fill already is a global colour.

Thanks, @anon2.

That makes sense, as I was at one point experimenting with transferring global colors via Assets. However, I seem to have lost the method of seeing that Global Color 4 color name. Can you remind me how to do that?

-- Walt
PC:

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I seem to have lost the method of seeing that Global Color 4 color name

Set the Colour panel's mode to Sliders and disable the padlock so that you see the true definition of an object's fill or stroke colour when you next select an object. If an object has a Global Colour then the Tint slider and the name of the colour will appear.

Edited by anon2