You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dear Affinity 1.9.0 is nice but why does it not load my printer profiles?

Knikki

Hello

I have download the latest version of Affinity 1.9.0 suite and open up an image to print and when I go to Softproof none of my Canon Printer profiles are present.

I have uninstalled Affinty Photo, Designer and Publisher then reinstalled the software. No printer profiles in Softproof.

I have uninstalled the Printer dirivers removed all the places where I can find the icc profiles. Reinstalled the printer, no printer profiles in Softproof.

In Affinity Profile I have used File -> Import ICC Profiles. No printer profiles are selectable in Softproof.

I have put profiles all over the place, ColorSync, Library -> Containers -> Affinty Photo -> Profiles, and where ever the printer has placed profiles as well all the profiles are set to Read Only as you would expect (changing them does not do anything).

What do I need to do to be able to see my Canon profiles in Affinity Photo / Softproof?

Thanks

At lest it is quicker to check as the software now loads on Big Sur quick.

1 hour ago, TomM1 said:

Do the profiles show in other apps like printing from Preview?

Yes if I go File -> Print and in the, I think its Colour section that asks you to pick ColorSync or Canon Printer if you click on the ColorSync then the Profiles can be chosen.

Its just the Layer Adjustment -> Softproof they do not appear all the default like US Web, FOGRA27 show up but not the Canon printer ones. They did show in 1.8.6.

Have you had any luck with them?

Ok I thought you were referring to printing.

Yes my Canon paper profiles appear in the soft proof adjustment layer window.

Have you tried the Reset button?

This is a dumb question but are you scrolling through the entire list?

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 1.34.09 PM.png

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

1 hour ago, TomM1 said:

Ok I thought you were referring to printing.

Yes my Canon paper profiles appear in the soft proof adjustment layer window.

Have you tried the Reset button?

This is a dumb question but are you scrolling through the entire list?

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 1.34.09 PM.png

🤣 not a dumb question but yes I have scrolled through the list.

However i had not seen the Reset button i will try that tomorrow.

Cheers 😊

Well, nope, still cant see any of my Canon Profiles.

I did try the 'Reset' button BUT that is for when you are making adjustments, make a mistake and want to reset what you were doing to the start point.

Seems Affinity has not listed this issue in their fixes from the Release Notes that I found in one of the other threads.

<sigh> not sure what to do now as I want to print some stuff but dont want to do a pile of test prints and waste paper.

Looking back at my first post I realised that I did not mention the Mac OS which is 11.2 Big Sur.

I'm now on macOS Big Sur 11.2 and Affinity 1.9.0 but this has been a problem since Affinity 1.8.6.  Only the default ICC profiles show up and none that have been downloaded from paper manufacturers or custom made.,  You can bring a profile in if you already have an image saved as an Affinity Photo file which used the soft proofing for the paper you want to use if you open that file (it will then be available on the soft proof dialog for the image you want to use).  I have tried various suggestions people have made to import profiles or to move them into another folder to no avail (there is another thread on this relating to 1.8.6).  I am very disappointed that Affinity have not fixed this in this version.

Edited by David56
grammatical error

18 hours ago, Gabe said:

Hi all,

This is a known issue caused by Big Sur, and we have already logged it with Apple. In the meantime, you can import your ICC profiles by using the File > Import ICC Profile...

I can't, that was one of the suggestions from a while ago and also on your KB article BUT I have tried this several times and nope cant see them.

As in the following:

Import as File -> Import ICC Profiles

Pick up Profile (it does not matter where they are the result is the same)

61954916_Screenshot2021-02-09at15_34_24.png.3470fd307f73eb4be6a7919cc8b97598.png

Layers -> Adjusment Layers -> Softproof

And no Canon Printer Profiles (yes I have scrolled up and down the list) so your work around at the moment is not working for OSX 11.2

Anything else to try?

38 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Printer profiles are generally RGB and not CMYK. Try looking further down the list :) 

Im glad you put a 'smiley face' at the end of that comment because I find your reply rather patronising and I work in QA and would certianly not have accepted that as a "professional reply".

Would you like me to screen shot every part of the Softproof dialog?

Do you think I am so stupid that I have NOT scrolled through all the icc profiles to see if your "suggested" work around had infact worked when importing profiles?

I realise that this may be an issue raised with Apple but I still fail to understand how YOUR software fails to load up icc profiles and it appears I am not alone in this issue looking around the forum.

As you seem so full of bright ideas Gabe, would you be so kind as to suggest some other solution I could use to get the profiles in the Softproof or do I just uninstall all this and switch to Adobe?

I have tried once again with import ICC profile.  It has worked for me this time but there are a number of provisos.  First you have to press Option Command when you select Library to get Color Sync and the Profiles folder to appear. Second you can only import one profile at a time.  Third, for some unknown reason only the default and Canon profiles showed up by this method despite them all being present when viewed in Finder - I copied the Profiles folder to the desktop and then only the Permajet profiles showed up when viewed through ICC import!  Fourth I still cannot import my custom profiles as they have an icm suffix.

The final point is that the imported profiles do not show up in the Softproof dialog until after you have selected one of the existing profiles.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

You could try to manually installing the profiles by following this guide: 

I have tried that as well as this KB was linked to in another thread and I am aftraid the same issue, I can see the Burb.icc profile (which I imported using File -> Import ICC Profile) in the applications BUT none of the Canon Printer profiles, when looking at the Softproof Adjustment Layer.

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

Which ICC profile do you actually use? The one supplied (which is not actually an ICC profile, but a package with a .icc extension) or the ICC files from Contents > Resources ?

Is it?

They were part of the installer package that was with the Canon Printer Installer I downloaded when Big Sur was released, I looked at the info but it I did not see anything about it being a "package"  plus I could see them if I was in Affinty Photo and went File -> Print -> Colour Matching and picked the ColorSync option.

That might explain the issues.

The ones I use most is Canon IP8700 series GL2 and Canon IP8700 series GL3 paper profiles.

• Staff

Yeah, that .icc file is it indeed a package with the wrong extension. I suspect Canon Installer knows how to handle it and to exact what it needs from it. If you Right click on it > Show package contents you will see what's inside it, and you import those ICC. 

image.png