You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Madame, please forgive my ignorance of Lightroom, but are you saying that it can open native Affinity files?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

No.. they are jpg.

The command in Lightroom is "edit a copy in Lightroom" The file format is jpg, and when I SAVE back to Lightroom it is a jpg.

I'm sure there are people here that can tell you more about this.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

My problem is missing shot date in the finder. In other words, it is extremely awkward to use an exif viewer to see the date, an image was shot ... talking about a processed image exported as jpg.

That has nothing to do with Affinity. Like I said earlier, Finder just keeps track of three file system date properties, the date the file was created, modified, & last used. That metadata is stored independently of any metadata stored in the file itself. Among other things, is used by OS X to determine when files need to be backed up by Time Machine & a few other backup utilities, when Spotlight indexes need to be updated, & to decide which is the older version of a file when replacing one with another.

In this sense "date created" has nothing to do with the date the shot was taken, which in Exif nomenclature would be the "Date and Time (original)" tag. There is also a "Date and Time (digitized)" Exif tag, which can be different if say the photo was taken in 1970 with a film camera & digitized with a scanner in 2005. If the digitizing was done on a Mac the file system date created would usually be the same as the Exif "Date and Time (digitized)" but could be different if for example digitized to a different OS & file system & imported into the OS X file system (normally Journaled HFS+) at a later date. A copy made at any time (for instance by exporting to a new file format) may or may not retain the original file system date created, depending on several factors I won't go into in this already over long post.

Like I said before, it can be very confusing, but the important thing to understand is the date info embedded in the file is not the same as the date info Finder shows. It is completely independent of that. Unlike the file system dates, which can be changed by the OS for a variety of reasons, the embedded stuff won't change unless explicitly done by software designed to do that, making it "portable" across different OS's, hardware platforms, & delivery methods (like the Internet or different kinds of physical storage devices).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 months later...

Just found out this bug the hard-way.

Around 500 pictures in my Photos library, Google Photos Backup, iCloud and on my VPS are now dated wrong.  

I can now start cleaning up this mess.  What's even worse is that this is a bug reported on these forums in september 2015... that's almost a whopping 9 months ago.

Common guys, this is ridiculous, so far for the Lightroom alternative for me.

For those on a Mac affected by this issue who still have access to there original files you can use exiftool to fix the dates.  

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/index.html

Navigate to the original Folder.

Use the following command to extract the CreatedDate:

exiftool -createdate -S * | awk 'BEGIN { FS = " " } ; { print $2 " " $3 }' | sed 'N;s/\n/ /' | awk 'BEGIN { FS = " " } ; { print "exiftool -createdate=\""$2 " " $3 "\" " $1 }' | sed 's/NEF/jpg/g'

It is possible that you have to change this command to accommodate your needs.  As you see on the end of the command line.  My orignial file's where Nikon raw's called NEF.  My exported are jpg's.  This command gives you a list  of commands like so:

exiftool -createddate="2016:03:11 18:48:52" DSC_0064.jpg

exiftool -createddate="2016:03:11 18:48:57" DSC_0065.jpg

Copy all these line and navigate to your exported pictures with wrong dates in there exif.  Paste the commands press enter.  All your exported filed are fixed.

Many thanks to the makers of exiftool.

Looks like this bug is still present on the latest update, 1.4.2 as of June 13th.

When can we expect a corrected version?

I've been delaying quite a bit a work in the hope of a fix for this bug; it would be very much welcome.

Thanks for your great work!

Cheers,

Jean-Philippe

I agree. It is very disappointing that this annoying bug is still not fixed.

Many thanks to the makers of exiftool.

... and thank you, Twilkie, for the workaround. Nevertheless, it's a nuisance to have to go through these extra steps.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Just checking if the bug is still in the new version of Affinity Photo. I see topics about the new beta on Mac and I still want to buy Affinity Photo to replace Lightroom but this won't happen if the date in the Exif are lost when processing my RAW files.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

We believe this is fixed in the latest beta and will be included as part of the 1.6 public release.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Patrick,

First of all, thank you for all your work on Affinity Photo! It's real pleasure working with it and I absolutely love it!

However, I'm using v1.6.6 and I can confirm when I develop a raw file (CR2), export it as JPG and then import it in Apple Photos, it still shows the photo as created now, instead of the original date. When I open the exported JPG with Affinity Photo, I can see the original "Date Shot" to be the correct one. Unfortunately, this is not recognised in Apple Photos. Please, this is essential for me as well, and I want to continue using your product, because I said - I absolutely love it!

Thanks,

Nasko

• 2 months later...

This also happens with images created via ON1 Raw 2018. So perhaps it is an Apple bug? I am  now considering ditching Apple Photos, but then it also happened when I saved up to SmugMug.

What is strange with ON1 is that if I upload the image from inside Finder to Photos it works. If I load direct from ON1 it does not.  I also use Affinity so this bug is of interest to me.