You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I can confirm the issue with the current version downloaded from the Mac App Store. RAW (NEF) files that I develop and reexport in JPEG seem to have the shot date set to the export date, too.

I will wait until an update is available before further processing my photos, as this is crucial info that I want to preserve. Any idea when a new version with this fix could be published?

Cheers,

J.-P.

• Staff

Hi jpp,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Usually fixes like this are relatively quick and appear in the next Beta in a week or two, but it really depends on how development in general goes.

It will take a little more until it's available on the Mac App Store version.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just tried the trial version to develop my raw images (and this is awesome) but I have the same problem. This is vital for me to keep the Exif data... Any news on a release with a fix ? Is there any way to try a beta version with this functionnality ?

Cheers

Yukes

• 1 month later...

Is this what causing my pictures to  disappear in Lightroom?
That is, I can find them at the bottom of the catalog.. waaay down.

How can I avoid this?

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Madame, it does make sense. if exif data does not include a date, it's likely that LR shows them according to its own defaluts.

i don't know LR, but maybe this default can be changed.

until the crew fixes this, a workaround could be manually setting the date. for my exif editing needs i use Exif Editor (available on the mac store), cheap and effective, and when i want to feel geeky (more and more seldom unfortunately) i use the super-powerful command line exiftool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/).

take care,

stefano

Thanks. Barninga. I tried some more, and I find it's not predictable/consistent.

I chose to edit in TIFF, save and close, and it behaved "well". The same when I edited a copy as jpg.
But when I edited a copy as PSD, it disappeared all together, I'm not able to locate it.

Last time (when I first noticed the problem) I got a dialog where I had to "save flattened" (a jpg.), but this time I didn't get that dialog.

I'll investigate some more.

BTW. all my  pictures in Lightroom have dates, it is Affinity that make them disappear.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi,

I hadn't noticed this before, so it's good to know.

I agree that EXIF info is paramount in organising one's photo library. However, this problem occures also when scanning old negatives or prints. In LR they get the date of importing the photo which of course has nothing to do with the date when the photo was originally shot. It's a continuing headache with non digital camera images.

In the case of existing digital camera image files (including EXIF data) there's one way to solve this problem. I know its a bit awkward but that's what I've been using  in cases Madame just evokes above.

In LR I open Metadata menu and there Edit capture time. I'll search for the original in the Library and look in side menu the "Date time of original"  and enter it in drop down menu Edit capture time. (see the images attached)

It a bit time consuming and obviously something we shoudn't be doing but let's wait for a fix.

vieuxjeux

post-23122-0-47260100-1453584542_thumb.png

post-23122-0-92582800-1453584556_thumb.png

Hi. I just discovered something.

I did all these edits, and they behaved well. I decided to try once more.
I edited a copy as jpg and saved. The dialog to save as flattened appeared, and I did, and suddenly all the pictures dived down to  the bottom of the Lightroom catalog. All of them. Including the original picture.. 

Well, I went to the Metadata meny and instead of changing the date, I did "read metadata from file" (to the "original" file) and -bam, all is well.

Every picture is in the place they are supposed to in the catalog. :)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi Madame!

I wonder, did you have the original and the virtual copy/copies grouped together and was your original perhaps not numbered as 1 in the group? Maybe that was the reason they were all sent down in the library.

Sometimes LR reorganises the order of original and copies.

Vieuxjeux

Vieuxjeux, I'm not sure, at least I didn't group them myself. But maybe your right.

I'll look more closely the next time. Thanks for the tips.

I'm very curious about how the Affinity mas app will function. I hope they will have smart preview so I don't have to connect my EHD each time I'm in [Lightroom] Affinity Mas.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• 4 weeks later...

If jpgs are exported from AF, the correct shot date stays encapsulated apparently. ImageExifEditor does show it correctly, AF and Finder do not.

From what I can tell, at least on my Mac embedded Exif metadata like date shot is preserved if the "Embed metadata" box is & can be checked (either in the "more" section when exporting from the Photo persona or in the Export options panel in the Export persona). However, I don't work with RAW files so that may not mean much for those who do.

Finder is mostly clueless about metadata embedded in an image file -- Finder windows can display metadata stored in the file system like date created, date modified, & date last accessed, but none of that is embedded in the file. This can be incredibly confusing because for example date created can sometimes be the same as date shot but usually is not. Also, the Finder "Get Info" window can display some but not all embedded metadata & Spotlight can search on many embedded Exif attributes & display the results in Finder windows.

If that isn't confusing enough, there are multiple "schemas" for embedding metadata -- Exif, IPTC, & XMP being the most widely used. There is a considerable amount of overlap among them, so not infrequently the same or almost the same metadata can be embedded in the file in more than one place. So when MEB said the fix is not "trivial" that was something of an understatement!

The various tabs in Apple's Preview app's "Inspector" panel will show most of the metadata embedded in image files in a reasonably user-friendly way, so it is my "go to" app for checking that. The items in the "More info" tab (the one with the "i" in the blue circle) will change depending on the file type, so this can help understand which formats support what & see if or how how they overlap.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for our comments, RCR. What would be your suggested way to proceed right now?

Like I said, I don't work with RAW files & I have not had any problems with missing Exif data on exports, so I doubt anything I suggest will be of much use to those that have.

That said, one thing that should be worth doing for everybody is checking with Preview or whatever to make sure the date shot info really is missing. If it is, & it is critical to your workflow, I guess the only thing you can do for now is use some other app to restore it to the file. If nothing else, Apple's Photos app has the (very quirky) ability to do that. It is far from an ideal solution but at least it spares you the hassle of trying to figure out which of the dozen plus (!!) date tags of the various schemas to change.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I haven't read all post here, but..

The problem with metadata isn't when I EXPORT, but when I SAVE back to Lightroom.

When I export I have to synchronise  the folder, or import the picture back into Lightroom. But then the metadata is intact.

If I save, on the other hand, the picture ends up at the bottom of the catalog.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2