You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is Photo really up to it? Is this good enough?

12 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

The point is that an app is supposed to paste raster data that is on the Clipboard, as it is (possibly applying color management, as Photoshop) not resample it. 

We don't resample the data and no data is lost. If you copy 1000x1000 pixels from an app, and paste into Photo you will end up with the same 1000x1000 pixels in your document.

If you're seeing a difference in quality when pasting, between Photo and another app, it may be that we're pasting a different clipboard format. Try looking at Paste Special and trying the other formats.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

If you copy 1000x1000 pixels from an app, and paste into Photo you will end up with the same 1000x1000 pixels in your document.

I think the theme here was initially that copying 1000 x 1000 pixels @ 72 DPI from PS and pasting it (paste as new) into Photo creates and treats it instead as 1333,3 x 1332,7 pixels @ 96 DPI. - I've seen a similar behavior before with some SVG copy/paste clipboard actions from/with other third party apps.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hope you believe it now! This is Corel 300DPI. You must do something wrong for sure and despite the fact that I show you all these tests you don't change your mind!?

As long that you don't upload an actual  image for testing with screen shots to show how you created the image in Photoshop nobody can test your problem. 

affinity-corel.png

corel-screen-shot.png

2 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Would you care to test what you are saying. You need a Windows computer. No wonder bugs in Affinity apps take years to get fixed, or never get fixed, at all...

I'm the lead engineer for Windows, so trust me, I have a Windows computer, and I do test your reports.

Here's a 4x4 @ 300 DPI image pasted into an existing document:

image.png

However, if I do File | New from Clipboard, then I get the following:

image.png

So yeah, it looks like there is an issue when creating a new document from the clipboard.

For reference, your 1x1 PSD that you attached, comes in as a 96x96 px document, with the pixel layer placed at 96.8 x 96.7 pixels. Something very strange is going on...

If the issue only appears with copy and new from clipboard that's an other story. The clipboard only stores what it get's to store (for example in Photoshop). I can conform that the copy from Photoshop and  Corel gives issues and from Gimp to Affinity Photo works only with only a different DPI. Copy to clipboard is the most unreliable way to copy something from one application to the other. Just Google it and you have endless hits with endless amounts of applications.  There are always issues caused by the app where you copy to the clipboard, because what I have seen Gimp makes a perfect copy (but you don't know what happens with complicated projects) things can get lost. I'm a daily user of photo apps and always use drag and drop or file > open the stuff. To fix this it has to work at both ends. So maybe with a coming update?

3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

I'm the lead engineer for Windows, so trust me, I have a Windows computer, and I do test your reports.

Here's a 4x4 @ 300 DPI image pasted into an existing document:

image.png

However, if I do File | New from Clipboard, then I get the following:

image.png

So yeah, it looks like there is an issue when creating a new document from the clipboard.

For reference, your 1x1 PSD that you attached, comes in as a 96x96 px document, with the pixel layer placed at 96.8 x 96.7 pixels. Something very strange is going on...

Phew sigh gasp scream, I would much prefer only to communicate directly with Serif when reporting errors. This thread is evidence enough that wild guesses and opinions does not resolve any issue. Any relevant feedback drowns in tons of noise. I can't add everybody to my ignore list to filter out crazy noise.

No, there is nothing wrong with Photoshop or other programs I use. They do not need to be updated. We do not need to upload files for every forum user to investigate. There is an obvious issue with Affinity. Reporting it to Serif should be enough.

@Mark Ingram now clearly understands that there is an issue with create from clipboard that must be investigated. I have also seen reports here for some time Serif should have acted upon a long time ago but lets take it from here.

Counting on you now, Mark. ;-) But Monday. Still weekend for you.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

And just because I am procrastinating - avoiding reading up on EU Law before meeting Monday - these steps to reproduce GIF.

Imagine me doing the exact same thing in every other professional program I have - many - Affinity does the same, no matter the source of the clipboard content. And now. Back to law!

dpi.thumb.gif.3a18244a62d0fb07ecf1b2ce41d502f8.gif

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

@Lagarto | @Jowday, I've just put in a fix for "New from Clipboard" and it will be available in the next Windows beta.

For anyone interested - it was ignoring the "Prefer metafile to raster when pasting from external application" preference option, so reading the data from Photoshop as EMF. Which incidentally highlighted a problem with some EMFs too... 

Anyway, assuming that the above option is the default (unchecked, i.e. prefer raster), then it will be fixed.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

@Lagarto | @Jowday, I've just put in a fix for "New from Clipboard" and it will be available in the next Windows beta.

"You are turning me into a beta addict, Mister Ingram." (Pete Postlethwaite voice)