You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is Photo really up to it? Is this good enough?

image.png.e962837f22ba498710af5c233b5d224e.png

This is a full-size screenshot of an image I copied into a) on the right, Photo (1.9.0.932), and b) on the left, PSP 2019.

Which would you prefer? Well, Photo, actually, but this worries me. Should I? Or have I got some setting in Photo not set?

David

APh uses a bitmap/raster viewspace, thus text when zoomed/scaled up etc. looks like that. Export the whole as JPG/PNG from both apps and compare then! - Or if you have Designer too, place the text there and look how sharp things look then there.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Lets skip theory and jump directly to practice, performance and actual output. And no, I do not have display scaling enabled anymore.

@Sean P Bug or feature?

@dbrear

I have the issue here that an image in Photoshop made for this purpse - 1000 x 1000 pixels @ 72 DPI is scaled upon pasting it into Photo 1.9.0.

No other programs handled the clipboard image like Photo did - so lets just call it a bug.

Original in PS 2021

image.png.83d359c2b5972848520b53cd902459c5.png

image.png.7dd33f375dc52130cc9a479a131a0e85.png

Paste as new from clipboard in Photo 1.9

What?

image.png.fd94704a1b8ddd0de7320856f39d9891.png

image.png.2bea71cc47cad7f6764ea0962f7335de.png

Created new image in Photo 1.9 at 72 dpi and pasted the same clipboard content into it:

image.png.256f1a5cfe2739b7fd19ced308c6b0f6.png

image.png.901cc96e6f11c1dc4094c6948cd58545.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

It's copied via the clipboard but instead of 72 dpi (aka ppi, since I don't have dot's on my screen but pixels) it's treated and resized as 92 dpi, thus the shift. The same happens with SVG contents when copy/pasted between apps. - Though I didn't looked/checked if it might probably have to do with an enabled "Copy items as SVG" prefs setting or not here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

It doesn't just involve PS. I only see issues in Photo. Lets try another professional program than Photoshop as source.

Test image from an image created from scratch in Corel PHOTO-PAINT 2020 with same size and dpi. Saved to jpg, reopened as flat bitmap, copied.

image.png.6631ac640f77fd8b2f0a0222e310d55d.png

Pasted into Photo:

image.png.c3381d0c01be4eb4265ba40aba56a52a.png

image.png.9eeb745e4368f3f0c1fda2d4bd4328bc.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

And this is the file saved from Photo, then re-opened in Photo. Still 1333 x 1333 pixels but no jagged edges.

@Mark Ingram @Sean P

Sounds familiar? I disabled screen scaling and all related  - I should be running with plain vanilla Windows 10 screen settings now.

The still not resolved issues we had with export preview before release .. is it related to dpi? 96 vs 72.

image.png.c3336d9b2f5472da2f29f97fa31ae89a.png

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

OMG, so this error might have been there for years.

Yes probably, BTW there are also similar threads where you commented to, but might have forgotten over time (...same as I tend to do).

3 hours ago, Lagarto said:

So here's the solution:

After having told the system that Affinity apps are the kind of dumb apps that are not genuinely DPI-aware (= do not bother to provide true -- and mostly useless -- 4K resources, as the recommended system app scaling simply just duplicating pixels at 2x without needing to apply any interpolation at all, works perfectly) then everything behaves normally also within Affinity apps, no matter if they are run in environment where app scaling is done, or not:

appscaling.jpg.e39a13b91a3d8b869326ec42f141aa93.jpg

These settings do not alter the behavior or resolve the issues I observed in the above posts, though. 

I would just like Photo not to have bugs and issues like this in core functionality - like the rest of the programs I have installed. Well, I was just fiddling with this to battle lockdown boredom.

Still curious about what @Mark Ingram has to say about my issues while pasting. I have a feeling it is related to the export preview issues we investigated.

3 hours ago, Lagarto said:

So here's the solution:

After having told the system that Affinity apps are the kind of dumb apps that are not genuinely DPI-aware (= do not bother to provide true -- and mostly useless -- 4K resources, as the recommended system app scaling simply just duplicating pixels at 2x without needing to apply any interpolation at all, works perfectly) then everything behaves normally also within Affiniy apps, no matter if they are run in environment where app scaling is done, or not:

This is incorrect. We are Per-Monitor-V2 high DPI aware - the highest level of support an application can offer for high DPI scaling. You should not need to manually override the DPI settings on the application. What you have done there is set the most basic level of high DPI awareness. There are 4 levels:

0 - DPI Unaware

1 - System DPI Awareness - This is what you overrode the default settings with

2 - Per-monitor DPI Awareness

3 - Per-monitor-V2 DPI Awareness - By default, the Affinity applications support this

Hi,

Don't see the problem disused here! 72dpi and 96dpi are (mis)used in the far past for so called screen resolutions. That made no sense anyway, because PPI and DPI mean nothing on screen all that counts are pixel dimensions. When I create images for the web I don't even look at it. When I import a image from for example Photoshop or Capture One and the images are ment to be used for print I change them in higher DPI anyway. The amount of DPI that it shows in multiple photo editors says nothing! You just have to adjust it to your personal situation. It's only meta data (for print only!) the actual image doesn't change. You can easily  resize back or up with "resample" shut of (to keep the same pixel dimensions and only change DPI) or on depending of what you want if that makes you feel better.

Regards,

David

http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

https://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/the-72-ppi-web-resolution-myth/

https://theeagerlearner.com/dots-per-inch-and-all-that-nonsense/

There is nothing removed only the metadata is changed! Did you read the articles I posted for you? When you shut of "resample" to keep the same pixel dimensions and only change DPI you have what you want. I get images that are 1250 DPI from stock images companies, when they are used for print I just change that.

Go to Document > Resize Document > Deactivate Resample > Now change the DPI > Click Resize and the pixel dimension will stay the same and your DPI is changed!