You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AFD 19.0 (MAC):Node tool features & Downloaded Assets

" two new time-saving modifiers for the Node Toolwhich allow you to instantly straighten a curve or delete a segment to create two separate curves within one curve object "

Such is the description on the 5-things webpage.  

How do I access these two new features ?

--------

I downloaded the free assets, but they're not listed in Designer's Assets panel.
I think they are supposed to load automatically and end up in the assets panel ?

Where can I find them on my HD so that I can load them manually  ?

Thanks guys for yet another great job ! 

4 minutes ago, catlover said:

" two new time-saving modifiers for the Node Toolwhich allow you to instantly straighten a curve or delete a segment to create two separate curves within one curve object "

Such is the description on the 5-things webpage.  

How do I access these two new features ?

I think it is using the Option and Control Keys while clicking on the curve's stroke. Control will delete Option will straighten.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks, old bruce. Tried & True.

Still, it would have been nice to have read it in the advertisement webpage itself.

As for those assets: they show up in the assets panel in photo, but not in the pixelpersona in designer. 

I’d still like to know where they were installed in the HD (path on mac).

4 minutes ago, catlover said:

still like to know where they were installed in the HD (path on mac).

When they're downloaded but the app they're installed automatically into the Assets panel. They're not kept in a firm that you could manually install detroit visiting the website and doing a manual download.

Try this: First, use the Designer Persona, not the Pixel Persona.

Next, what categories do you have in the Category pulldown in the Assets panel?

Next, what happens if you click on the hamburger menu (settings) icon for the Assets panel and add a new Category? Does that make the downloaded assets visible?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, catlover said:

Still, it would have been nice to have read it in the advertisement webpage itself.

The Status bar in the app tells you which modifier key to use for these 2 new options -- BUT only when you hover the pointer over a stroke segment.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@walt.farrell  :

Thanks, Walt. I tried the New Category method but no joy.
I looked up the Assets.propcol file for Des. and for Photo.
They are an astonishing 2.22Gb and 2.57Gb in size, resp.

The downloaded assets are available in Photo, so I swapped the Photo propcol for the Des file.
As i suspected, Designer crashed spectacularly, not even the "Reopen" button on the crashreport did the job.

Back to the drawing board I guess....

@R C-R  : Thank you for that !

C.L.

8 minutes ago, catlover said:

I tried the New Category method but no joy.

What if any Asset categories do you have now in AD, either in its Designer or Pixel persona?

Alos, you do realize that you have to download the assets separately for AD & for AP, right?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yep, I downloaded them separately for each app.

Cats in Des and Pixel Persona:  Default, IOS 12, various self-made assets and Daub Papers, which is one of the downloaded cats.

The latter one is  empty : no assets inside, just the name. The rest of those assets cats just aren't there.

I'm giving up ...:61_sob:

You cannot swap the assets.propcol files between the applications; there is a format difference of some kind.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

What happens if you open the "My Accounts" window & uninstall any or all of the assets listed with a checkmark (for instance the Daub Papers) in that window, & then quit & relaunch AD & then try downloading one or more of those assets again?

Affinity Photo 

Was busy doing just that when your above post came in.
Lo and behold, manual downloading & installing works just fine.
All assets imported 100%, all show up in Des as well as Pix personas.

So, it would appear something is amiss with the auto-download in the Affinity Store.

Thanks, stay safe.

C.L.

2 minutes ago, catlover said:

Lo and behold, manual downloading & installing works just fine.
All assets imported 100%, all show up in Des as well as Pix personas.

So, it would appear something is amiss with the auto-download in the Affinity Store.

"Auto-downloading" (IOW, clicking the 'cloud' download icon in the My Accounts window) works fine for me & apparently for most other users too. That is why I asked what happens if you click the checkmark for any assets (or whatever) that you tried to download via the My Accounts window to uninstall them, & then tried to reinstall them that way (by clicking on the cloud icon).

I have no idea what state your AD assets.propcol  file is in now, but I suspect part of your problem might be because you copied the AP file to AD. If you are willing, try renaming the AD one to assets.propcol.old (while AD is not running!!!), relaunching AD & trying downloading via the My Accounts window again. If that doesn't help, you can always quit AD, trash the newly created assets.propcol file, & rename the original back to assets.propcol (without the old suffix).

Affinity Photo 

23 minutes ago, catlover said:

Whether something auto-downloads or not is dependent on several factors, including whether you've chosen the option to auto-download everything, and whether you've configured any size limits.

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Whether something auto-downloads or not is dependent on several factors, including whether you've chosen the option to auto-download everything, and whether you've configured any size limits.

To keep it simple for troubleshooting purposes, maybe try just downloading one asset item from the My Accounts list, like the 450MB Daub Watercolors & Washes Papers one?

Affinity Photo 

Hi, guys,

please read through my posts. i did all those things (rename org propfile,swap for photo propcol, restarted Des, which resulted in a crash), so put original back & restarted Des.

Only one thing worked: manual download & installation.

thanks all, problem solved 🙂

1 minute ago, catlover said:

thanks all, problem solved 🙂

I hope you are right about that, but I suspect there is still something amiss in your system that if not corrected sooner or later will eventually cause you more problems.

I suspect this because downloads using the My Account panel works for most users, so it should work for you as well if everything was working correctly.

Affinity Photo