You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyperlinks not working in PDF Export (PUBLISHER)

I created Interactive Hyperlinks to URL's and exported as a PDF. When I try the PDF, the hyperlinks do not work.  I have tried it in Mac Preview and PDF Reader Pro to no avail.  It worked fine in Affinity Publisher 1.8.  Now that I have 1.9 it fails.   HELP!  I am using an iMac with 10.15 Catalina

SYMbol_2021-03ALAN_Links.pdf

Edited by revlakmagic

• Staff

@revlakmagic Welcome to the forums.

Some of the PDF export presets don't have the include hyperlinks option enabled. Click the More button on the Export window and check to see if it's checked.

The design of you document may also be an issue as if you import the PDF back into Publisher it's almost entirely made up of one large image. Which could indicates some objects are being rasterised on export, this could be do to FX applied to them.

• 6 months later...

I have a 36-page newsletter with many photos and hyperlinks to web addresses and emails in Publisher 1.10.1.

When I try to export it as high quality digital, I get an error message.

The only way I could create a pdf was low resolution, no hyperlinks - which will not work for my final copy.

I've gone through the pre-flight and had it learn random names that were showing up as spelling errors. I rasterized pdf links. SHoul I convert all the Pdfs to jpgs and re-import?

It is not showing that I have any hyperlink errors.

Any ideas or work arounds?

Thank you

Edited by WendyD

3 hours ago, WendyD said:

What message?

3 hours ago, WendyD said:

If it's the generic message about an error occurring during the export, you might get useful information if you enable PDFLib Logging, as explained in the FAQ:

Near the end of the log you'll probably find a message explaining what happened.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, WendyD said:

I have a 36-page newsletter with many photos and hyperlinks to web addresses and emails in Publisher 1.10.1.

The only way I could create a pdf was low resolution, no hyperlinks - which will not work for my final copy.

I've gone through the pre-flight and had it learn random names that were showing up as spelling errors. I rasterized pdf links. SHoul I convert all the Pdfs to jpgs and re-import?

It is not showing that I have any hyperlink errors.

Thank you

I got the same message and it seems that Publisher won't make a pdf (hyperlinks included) if there is an error with one of the hyperlinks. It won't tell you what the error is either, so you need to check each hyperlink until you find the problem and fix it. Then the pdf should work.

A couple of observations.  First, please be more specific about the error message.  You mentioned that you have many photos in the document.  If these are large files, then the pdf will be huge if you attempt to export it at 300 dpi. You may need to reduce the photo file sizes first (you can do this with Affinity Photo).  Second, look for any messages in the pre-flight that have red dots.  If you have, then double click on them and, with luck, Publisher will take you to the offending object so you should be able to fix it.

19 minutes ago, GeorgeNFN said:

A couple of observations.  First, please be more specific about the error message.  You mentioned that you have many photos in the document.  If these are large files, then the pdf will be huge if you attempt to export it at 300 dpi. You may need to reduce the photo file sizes first (you can do this with Affinity Photo).  Second, look for any messages in the pre-flight that have red dots.  If you have, then double click on them and, with luck, Publisher will take you to the offending object so you should be able to fix it.

I had four hyperlinks (in a document of more than 300 hyperlinks) that had errors, three had an errant space and one had an issue with two conflicting hyperlinks being applied to the same text. None were flagged by Preflight. In my case the error message just said 'An error has occurred...'. It's only when researching here that I discovered the error was likely to be down to hyperlinks.

• 8 months later...

This still seems to be a problem and maybe it will get fixed with the next updates. As far as I can tell, the problem seems to be related to anchors, and not to hyperlinks. The workaround I found was to assign the hyperlink to a certain page, and not an anchor that I created manually. If I create an anchor within the document and try to link to it, Publisher fails to export to PDF, on both Mac and Win.

I really hope this will be solved at some point. Publisher is such a wonderful and intuitive tool, it's a shame to not have all the features working as intended.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 9:55 AM, Lee D said:

@revlakmagic Welcome to the forums.

Some of the PDF export presets don't have the include hyperlinks option enabled. Click the More button on the Export window and check to see if it's checked.

The design of you document may also be an issue as if you import the PDF back into Publisher it's almost entirely made up of one large image. Which could indicates some objects are being rasterised on export, this could be do to FX applied to them.

Thanks for this info, it fixed the problem I was having. It seems totally counter intuitive to spend time putting links into a document then have the software remove them with no warning when converting to a pdf. Thanks again