You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Publisher] Imagebox as dragNdrop default

Is there a way to automatically position images in the Publisher as an image box via dragNdrop and not as an image? If you design an architecture magazine and want to adjust sections and size quickly and flexibly, this is still very awkwardly solved for a layout program (especially with too many different options) that wants to play with the big ones.
This looks like when I make a layout in osX Keynote. And why is it still possible to accidentally distort an image? This is a big no-no in a layout program with your claim. In which case is it standard that an image has to be distorted? this is an very rare exception and should be solved with a shortcut.

just looked how in Adobe Illustrator the image handling works, Affinity has adapted the complicated handling of images more to Illustrator than to Indesign/Quark

• Staff

Hi @3joern,

My apologies for the delayed response here!

On 2/5/2021 at 10:35 AM, 3joern said:

Is there a way to automatically position images in the Publisher as an image box via dragNdrop and not as an image?

Unfortunately as you've mentioned, there's no option to automatically place images and create a Picture Frame when placing for multiple images, the keyboard shortcut you have setup is likely the best workaround here.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:35 AM, 3joern said:

why is it still possible to accidentally distort an image? This is a big no-no in a layout program with your claim. In which case is it standard that an image has to be distorted? this is an very rare exception and should be solved with a shortcut.

You can see using the Scale options on the Context Toolbar with your placed image selected if your image is no longer at the original matching scale (ie aspect ratio). If you have 'distorted' an image or document, you can tell here as the % values will not match -

image.png

image.png

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C

thanks for your feedback, I understand what you mean, but really, in which case is it important that the image is distorted? It makes no sense in a layout programm.

I hope in future there come a option in the scale option to really lock the properties, because if you look closely in your screenshot, the menu is locked the properties, thats simple a false information.

A normal expection is, if you lock the properties, there is no way to  distort a image. 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-14 um 13.27.14.jpg

• Staff
2 minutes ago, 3joern said:

I hope in future there come a option in the scale option to really lock the properties, because if you look closely in your screenshot, the menu is locked the properties, thats simple a false information.

Thanks for your feedback, I'm certain this is something the devs can consider for a future update :)

This symbol is to show that these values are Linked, not locked. This means that if you manually change one of the Scale % options, the linked value will also update to match this.

3 minutes ago, 3joern said:

but really, in which case is it important that the image is distorted? It makes no sense in a layout programm.

Many users have different use-cases for Publisher, and restricting all users to resize objects whilst retaining the original aspect ratio would stop these users from being able to use the application as they wished. With the current system, you can choose to retain aspect ratio or not - the choice is with the user!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 minute ago, Dan C said:

This means that if you manually change one of the Scale % options, the linked value will also update to match this.

Yeah, look at you first screenshot, the value is "linked", so thats mean if you change the upper value, the bottom one must changes the same value, right? then why  ...

4 minutes ago, Dan C said:

the linked value will also update to match this.

or?

_______

6 minutes ago, Dan C said:

you can choose to retain aspect ratio or not - the choice is with the user!

a simple question of probability. In how many cases is distortion a "default" PREDICTION?

As suggested, if there is a checkbox where you can lock the image ratio, everyone is happy.

have a nice sunny sunday :)

• Staff

Apologies, I could have explained that better!

If you use the Move Tool to adjust the placed image/document, you can transform the image such that these values do not match, which is what I did in my second screenshot above.

If you open the Scale dialog and change the figures manually, by typing a different value (with the Linked option active), then the linked value will update to match the manually inputted entry.

As discussed, this option does not lock the aspect from being changed and is only taken into consideration when manually inputting values, not when transforming with the Move Tool.

Many thanks - you too :D

Please note -

Many thanks!