You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 1.9.0 Freezes / crashes

Downloaded and installed the 1.9.0 update yesterday, everything fine, as far as I can see on first look,on my Dell XPS17 Laptop but on my desktop, Designer freezes as soon as I try to use the software, ( it will create a shape OK but problems begin when I start to edit the shape), I have the latest Windows 20H2 version 19042.789 and the latest nVidia Driver 461.40 running a 4GB GTX 1050Ti.)

I have tried to switch off the GPU Acceleration as this may be the issue but the program crashes immediately when I try. (this was a problem for others with the Adobe Creative cloud suite a year or two ago on some systems, but not mine so suspect this could be related|) 

Anyone else aware of this issue (or any support staff reading this ) would like to get this solved as soon as possible - I will supply any logs or other data that is required 

• Staff

Hi barman58,

Firstly could you attach a screenshot of your Preferences > Performance dialog please? 
Secondly navigate to %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports and attach any recent DMP files that relate to time the app has crashed for you whilst trying to set this option. Though if its freezing it may not generate a report.

Lastly could you then try placing this attached file in the location below and then run up the app. This should cause Hardware Acceleration to be disabled when you load the app and see if that helps
%appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Settings

PerformancePreferences.xml

Thanks for the quick response ...

There are unfortunately no available Crash Reports

Have included screen shots of the Performance tab after installing the XML File you provided, and also the one prior to installing the file - unfortunately the fault is still present after installing the file 

132233530_Annotation2021-02-05120616.png.41b4172a9192856362af806cd07285fc.png515240875_Annotation2021-02-05115531.png.17a22cc52692732c77a7fea0011cf5cc.png

I decided to do a deep clean uninstall on the program and re-install (to a clean state as the install on the laptop was, uninstall that sweeps all links and removes the software completely, rather than the standard uninstall which can leave remnants on the system ), and so far it appears to work correctly after a fresh install, without any not responding errors, It looks like something in the registry or other repository had been corrupted, either before or during the upgrade process which was causing the freezing   

Edited by barman58

• Staff
7 minutes ago, barman58 said:

I decided to do a deep clean uninstall on the program and re-install (to a clean state as the install on the laptop was, uninstall that sweeps all links and removes the software completely, rather than the standard uninstall which can leave remnants on the system ), and so far it appears to work correctly after a fresh install, without any not responding errors, It looks like something in the registry or other repository had been corrupted, either before or during the upgrade process which was causing the freezing   

Thanks for getting back to us! Glad to hear you're back up and running!