You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe discontinuing Mac Type 1 Fonts Support - will Affinity follow this route?

I saw a notification in Indesign today that Adobe are discontinuing support for Type 1 Fonts on the Mac (in 2023 for Indesign & Illustrator, 2021 for Photoshop).

https://creativepro.com/adobe-is-ending-support-for-type-1-fontshttps://creativepro.com/adobe-is-ending-support-for-type-1-fonts

I understand Type 1 goes all the way back to the 80's, but a lot of the fonts I have are Type 1 - will Affinity continue to support them or will they be phased out too?

Just trying to work out if I should move my longterm Indesign documents to Affinity or just see if I can find OpenType versions instead…

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @icreate,

My apologies for the delayed response here!

I have spoken with our developers regarding this, who confirmed the following;

I don’t believe we plan to remove the Type 1 support we currently have. However, there’s no promise that that won’t change in the future.

Personally I’d consider converting any Type 1 fonts to OpenType ahead of time, to increase the lifespan of these fonts. This can be done in third party utilities.

I hope this helps clear things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

23 hours ago, Dan C said:

I have spoken with our developers regarding this

While we're at it, how about the lack of auto-kerning in Affinity with Mac Type 1 fonts?

… and probably some more.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff
21 minutes ago, loukash said:

While we're at it, how about the lack of auto-kerning in Affinity with Mac Type 1 fonts?

I'm not 100% certain which properties are supported in Affinity for Type 1 fonts, so I am double checking this with our developers for you now :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

I have had the following response from our Devs:

For OpenType fonts we parse the kerning tables ourselves from the font file.
For Type1 fonts we ask the O/S for this information - Windows has an API for that, and macOS does not so this is unfortunately unsupported here.

Due to Type1 support being slowly phased out across the board, we don't plan on adding support to macOS at this time. Again we recommend converting these fonts where possible.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

55 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I hope this helps

Thanks. It helps in the sense that now we all can collectively stop holding our breath.

*exhales deeply*

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2